Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy 7 defined the RPG genre

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Peter Moly-faux has finally said something PC RPG-related enough to post. What was it? Well the title would have given that away already but <a href="http://www.videogamer.com/news/23-09-2008-9430.html">here it is from his own mouth, courtesy of VideoGamer.com</a>:
<blockquote>"I always remember back to Final Fantasy VII, when I first played FFVII, that to me defined the genre," he said when talking about the PS3 and if it has had any defining titles. "Those were the 'oh my god' moments, I don't believe they exist. I haven't seen many of those on the PS3."</blockquote>
Ignoring the obvious console aspect which has prevented me posting his crap before, discuss! Did FFVII define the genre for you? If so, why and why haven't you killed yourself yet? In a brutally violent way? That preferably didn't leave much of you behind? These are the questions that need to be asked.

Thanks <b>Fat Dragon</b>!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
DarkUnderlord said:
Did FFVII define the genre for you? If so, why and why haven't you been killed yet? In a brutally violent way? That preferably didn't leave much of you behind? State your name and adress. We'll send someone to take care of you.
Fixed.

Fez

Erudite
This is not really giving me a lot of hope for Fable 2 to turn out to be a RPG masterpiece. If only he could have died in a big chemical fire as soon as Bullfrog broke up. Where are all the Lithuanian hitmen when you need them?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
In Lithuania awaiting your phonecall, Fez.

I have to say I actually had a smidgen of respect for this guy until I read this. Seriously, what a fucking way to start the day: 1, I start up the greatest new Codex meme. 2, I learn I was wrong to ever not doubt Pete Molyneux. My biggest problem is that I'm too optimistic. Fuck myself in the pancreas. How can I go to the library today? Camus is gonna come out of the pages and rip out my throat and eat it!

In before "No, Andyman. Your biggest problem is..."

uhjghvt

Scholar
it'll be pretty shit if the NPCs in fable 2 have spiky hair and giant swords but at least they won't be so fucking cutesy

mahdi

Liturgist
Could it be possible that I hate Peter Molyneux more than I hate that Lithuanian hitman that failed to kill my ex-girlfriend?

Fez

Erudite
uhjghvt said:
it'll be pretty shit if the NPCs in fable 2 have spiky hair and giant swords but at least they won't be so fucking cutesy

Won't be so cutesy? Haven't you seen the abominations from Japan?

Data4

Arcane
Okay, I'm trying to wrack my brain for a greater context that we're not seeing here. It's true that FF7 was a turning point of sorts for console jRPGs, and in that respect, it sorta defined the genre. But God help me, if he's lumping that in with Western RPGs, then I too am never going to take a word out of his mouth seriously.

Geofferic

Educated
Well you could do a lot of stuff in FFVII. It was a pretty big game. The Chocobo thing, tho I detested the implementation, was pretty neat in concept.

Still, I think that anyone who even remotely wanted any credibility with gamers over 18 would never have said this tripe.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
mahdi said:
Could it be possible that I hate Peter Molyneux more than I hate that Lithuanian hitman that failed to kill my ex-girlfriend?
Lithuanian hitmen don't fail. Just you wait.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, I think he's right:
Gameplay is superior to any other RPG (apart from the FPRPGs Bioshock, Deus Ex: Invisible War, etc and probably FO3)
Graphics were awesome. First class for its time and still good today. They didn't detract from gameplay but enhanced it. The art direction was also revolutionary. This is truly not just a game but a piece of art. One can, of course, debate hairstyles and phallic weapons. I think they are great and whoever disagrees is a moron.
FF7 introduced the plot twist to RPGs. It also made the player more emotionally attached than any other game before or since. For that alone it deserves more credit than is given here. Is there anyone here who can honestly say, that Aeris death didn't touch him? That he didn't want to take revenge? Can there be any better driving force for a story?

We should all acknowledge that FF7 is a masterpiece in its own right and deserves as much regard as any western pc RPG if not more.

Disclaimer: I never played that piece of crap. This post was put together by what I picked up about it on the net and might not be accurate. To defend the Codex' reputation as an objective site that gives all voice to all opinions in a discussion.

RainSong

Scholar
Shannow said:
Disclaimer: I never played that piece of crap.
Ee? What are you happy about? There is no difference between you and those teenage morons who never played Fallout yet think that it's a piece of crap because it's old and don't have 3d graphics!

This post was put together by what I picked up about it on the net

quoting what you quoted:
We should all acknowledge that FF7 is a masterpiece in its own right
wow now that's stupid... oh wait, no it isn't.

To defend the Codex' reputation as an objective site that gives all voice to all opinions in a discussion.
In one word: Fail.

Data4

Arcane
At the time, FF7 was a pretty cool guy. eh brought 3d to the FF franchise and doesn't afraid of anything. But that's Final Fantasy. I enjoyed the FF series when I didn't know any better. That was before BG for me, which is when I realized HOLY SHIT! JRPGs aren't really RPGs.

That's what anyone-- especially a friggin GAME DEVELOPER-- should realize. That's why I'm so floored by this statement.

Shannow

Waster of Time
RainSong said:
In one work: Fail.

I see your arguments there.
I'm singing in the rain *sing*

*g*

Hell, and I actually thought that FF7 haters would take the bait. But no, it was the fanbois.
I must try this trolling more often. Give me some more unreasonably emotional and hateful reactions and I'll think about it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Shannow said:
To defend the Codex' reputation as an objective site that gives all voice to all opinions in a discussion.
The Codex does not scale to your level.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, Fable2 will be full of LEGO-people. I like the idea.

Locue you should include peter in your ff7 LP.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
FF7 was an absolutely stunning and genre defining game for the jrpg genre and I can see why people that like these games see it as an hallmark achievement. Don't really see what the fuzz is about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom