Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift

Truth

Scholar
I take it this is more like the shitty-kiddie GBA one rather than the good FF Tactics on PS.

Any brave soul here try this one out?

deuxhero

Arcane
Personaliy I am waiting for the port of Disgaea in September.

A game that expects and encourges you to exploit the system sounds better then the sequel to a game I didn't even have to try hard to break (concentration+assassins=80% chance of insta kill=bork)

FFTA did get props for haveing a unique protagonist (few games make destorying the world the PROPER ending), but given what I know about Disgaeas basic story... yeah...

deuxhero

Arcane
I have been told the FFTA story was originaly darker until Thomas Bowdler (or whoever) got his hands on it.

Cid was an out of work alcholoic is the primary thing I recall.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I enjoyed FFTA more than FFT, so I'll be picking this one up. Like FFT and FFTA, I'm not expecting any real challenge, but it'll be a fun time waster on the go.

I wish SE would quit churning out these FFT games and come out with a new Tactics Ogre game.

(concentration+assassins=80% chance of insta kill=bork)

For FFTA2, concentrate has been nerfed to give only a 5% accuracy boost. Assassins have also been weakened heavily.

deuxhero

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Bowdler has been dead for nearly two hundred years. I think you just mean it was Bowdlerized.

Uh, duh? I honestly hope you didn't think I meant it literialy.

@OldSkoolKamikaze

And there are probobly still half a dozen they didn't fix, and 3 dozen new ones. But given that apparently all you had to do to break the original FFT was to put the main character in his default class or use a character the game gave you automaticly, this should be expected

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
deuxhero said:
And there are probobly still half a dozen they didn't fix, and 3 dozen new ones. But given that apparently all you had to do to break the original FFT was to put the main character in his default class or use a character the game gave you automatically, this should be expected

Ramza's default class isn't worth shit until he gets Scream in the 4th chapter. At which point you have to deal with hydras and the like anyways. Cid and Agrias are insane though, I'm playing a modded version on the PSP where their skills cost MP. I plan on rebalancing a lot of stuff aside from that. Summoners always struck me as the most default broken class. Low JP requirements, and you get mass heal, magic immunity, physical immunity, elemental or non elemental damage that doesn't friendly fire your team to death and covers half the map. Their only 'drawback' is that any one summoner only has enough mp to kill 3 or 4 enemies. Gee, however will I get by?

Chemists are technically the most powerful, but slowly chipping your enemies to death with only plain attacks is a really lame fighting style that takes too long.

Baldr

Novice
Judging from the screenshots, they decided to bring back the worst aspect of the previous game: the awful judge system for combat.Having arbitrary restrictions on combat that result in instantly losing a battle are stupid, and sometimes the enemy would violate them without repercussions. I don't know of anyone who actually enjoyed that aspect of the game.

deuxhero

Arcane
The previews I read mentioned something about it being opptional (I think you get some benifits if you pick to allow laws)

But useing laws to completely disable some bosses was fun, but that is all that ever came of it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Baldr said:
Judging from the screenshots, they decided to bring back the worst aspect of the previous game: the awful judge system for combat.Having arbitrary restrictions on combat that result in instantly losing a battle are stupid, and sometimes the enemy would violate them without repercussions. I don't know of anyone who actually enjoyed that aspect of the game.

Then you don't know me. The laws are the BEST part of FFTA. Well, other than the game being portable.

Here I am "semi-trolling" the FFTA2 board on GameFAQs: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmes ... c=43659698

deuxhero said:
The previews I read mentioned something about it being opptional (I think you get some benifits if you pick to allow laws)

The laws are optional in that the only adverse effects are the loss of your Clan Ability and you lose out on the victory items you get at the end of the match.

J1M

Arcane
Yeah, I'd hate to have to adjust my tactics in a game about tactics. Laws are so dumb!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom