Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth

Mauman

Learned
Still no official announcement regarding sales, but there's this

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is ‘underperforming’ sales wise, analyst claims
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is reportedly underperforming commercially.

That’s according to Daniel Ahmad, director of research and insights at Niko Partners, who said the PS5 game has been faring worse than its predecessor following its release in February.

“Rebirth is underperforming sales wise”, he said on X.

“It’s selling about half of what Remake sold in the same timeframe and looks like it’ll have a weaker tail (prior to any PS+ like release),” Ahmad added.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake was released for PS4 in April 2020, when the console had an installed base of over 100 million units.

Shipments of the game topped 3.5 million in its first three days, according to publisher Square Enix, which hasn’t announced Rebirth sales data.
Source: VGC
That's what happens when you pull a bait and switch with the first one. Many of the players just looking for a remake and not some time fuckery sequel are going to jump ship.

Last edited:

MasPingon

Arcane

That’s according to Daniel Ahmad, director of research and insights at Niko Partners, who said the PS5 game has been faring worse than its predecessor following its release in February.

“It’s selling about half of what Remake sold in the same timeframe and looks like it’ll have a weaker tail (prior to any PS+ like release),” Ahmad added.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake was released for PS4 in April 2020, when the console had an installed base of over 100 million units.

Shipments of the game topped 3.5 million in its first three days, according to publisher Square Enix, which hasn’t announced Rebirth sales data.
That's what happens when you pull a bait and switch with the first one. Many of the players just looking for a remake and not some time fuckery sequel are going to jump ship.
Doubt that's it, do you think there are millions of original FF7 players waiting for remake? Those people have about 40 years old now, maybe 1/5 of them still got time to play games.. More probable this is a matter of platform, a lot more people got PS4 then PS5. I had to buy one to play it myself. I'm sure 1:1 remake wouldn't be as succesful.

Last edited:

cruel

Cipher
So, it seems that you don't pick your date for the Gold Saucer, but the game does it for you. It does so using a bonding system that works in 'mysterious ways'. The result: I had a date with a dog.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, it seems that you don't pick your date for the Gold Saucer, but the game does it for you. It does so using a bonding system that works in 'mysterious ways'. The result: I had a date with a dog.

Better to hang out with man's best friend than some thot that will just give you herpes, bro.

911 Jumper

Educated

Honestly I think the whole project is a spectacular waste of time and resources. I thought splitting a JRPG into multiple parts released several years apart was a bad idea back when they announced it. These kind of games need to be complete self-contained experiences. A lot of people probably feel as if they have to play Remake again to “refresh” and prepare for Rebirth. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that [having to play Remake again] is putting people off.
I've also heard a number of people say that there's too much stuff to do in Rebirth, the number of mini games present seems to be a common complaint.
It really does sound as if they have again padded out the latest entry in this project with lots of unnecessary stuff.

cruel

Cipher
I've also heard a number of people say that there's too much stuff to do in Rebirth, the number of mini games present seems to be a common complaint.

That's true. I think there are 20+ mini games or so, out of which maybe 3 are fun (Run Wild, Chocobo racing, chasing Moogles). You can skip 90% of them with no consequences, but if someone is a completionist and wants to 100% the game, well... good luck :) I can't even imagine the frustration.

I'm skipping most of the mini games I don't like and some of the side quests, and I'm still going at 73 hours / 81% game completion. I'm pretty sure I will cross 80h, maybe 85h. 100% is easily 120h+.

There is definitely someone higher up in Square forcing devs to stretch the games to make them long, even at the cost of quality - same thing happened with FF XVI. Another example of a very solid foundation diluted by low quality of sidequests.

911 Jumper

Educated
That's true. I think there are 20+ mini games or so, out of which maybe 3 are fun (Run Wild, Chocobo racing, chasing Moogles). You can skip 90% of them with no consequences, but if someone is a completionist and wants to 100% the game, well... good luck :) I can't even imagine the frustration.

I'm skipping most of the mini games I don't like and some of the side quests, and I'm still going at 73 hours / 81% game completion. I'm pretty sure I will cross 80h, maybe 85h. 100% is easily 120h+.

There is definitely someone higher up in Square forcing devs to stretch the games to make them long, even at the cost of quality - same thing happened with FF XVI. Another example of a very solid foundation diluted by low quality of sidequests.
I can't see Square Enix doing another remake project on the scale of FF7R again. That rumour about the FF9 remake being much smaller in scope doesn't suprise me. People were clamouring for an FF7 remake since the days of that PS3 FF7 tech demo so that undoubtedly would have driven interest for Remake. But I think many have had their fill with Remake. Generally speaking there seems to less enthusiasm in regard to Final Fantasy. Even in Japan, FF games aren't doing the kind of numbers they used to do.

Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
FF 10 was a series of corridors, 11 an MMO with shit gameplay, 12 played itself, 13 was three games of the director wanking to his notCloud wife, 14 is another MMO, 15 was an unfinished boy band journey, and 16 was DmC. Remake fucking up everything with time ghosts only helped sour people on the brand. There hasn't been a good Final Fantasy mainline game in a long time.

cruel

Cipher
Whoever designed the final boss fight of Rebirth should really rethink his career choice and go back to breeding horses or sucking dick. 2h of constant boss fights, each multi-phase, no way to save in between and final boss having a magical one-hit KO if you don't stagger him during a few second window. What a shit game design, I have no words.

Yuber

Educated
FF 10 was a series of corridors
Are not most FF games a series of corridors? FF7 too was for the most part just corridors you follow, maybe it is the minimap that makes it more visible.
12 played itself

How? Do you mean the gambits? You could always input manually everything with your mainchar and only leave the other party member on AI if you like.

cruel

Cipher
Finished the game after 94 hours - this includes most of the side quests, but nowhere near close to 100% the game, with most of the mini games & collectibles skipped etc. Hard game to rate.

Good things:
+ much better game than Remake in almost every aspect: improved combat, interesting boss fights, less shitty side quests
+ one of the better 'modern' combat systems actually: keeping a nice balance between intensity and tactics (buffs, debuffs, dangerous status effects, weaknesses, targeting specific body parts)
+ well designed, intense and memorable boss fights
+ decent difficulty
+ tons of heart and effort put into making this, and it just shows; complete opposite of your typical Ubisoft cash grab
+ very nice chemistry between the cast, many dialogues that make you laugh or smile
+ great enemy variety, keeping things constantly fresh
+ each party member plays completely differently and feels very unique
+ the game does a good job making you to know other party members by rotating the squad
+ excellent music
+ zero diversity crap
+ must-play for any FF fan, feels like a 'proper' FF game, as opposed to FF XVI
+ a lot of attention to detail and small things that make you aware how much they wanted the game to feel 'special'
+ 3 (out of 20+) mini games are actually fun
+ zero bugs / crashes

Worse things:
- story is a complete mess: whispers, black cloaks, parallel universes, just wtf
- open world is boring and repeatable; clearly they rushed this or had no idea how to fill it properly
- pacing issues: 2h of intensity may be followed by 3h of boredom
- main story is way better than the side content
- tons and tons of mini games, at some point it's just too much (fortunately skippable / optional)
- few parts of the game are designed in a retarded way: few boss fights not balanced properly, combat encounters forcing you to hit specific objectives etc.
- the game doesn't respect player's time at times

8/10. If you liked Remake, you will like this for sure, as it's a much better game overall. If you hated Remake, not sure if I would recommend it. I don't regret playing and had fun most of the time, but sometime around 80h mark, I just wanted the game to end.

Yuber

Educated
8/10. If you liked Remake, you will like this for sure, as it's a much better game overall. If you hated Remake, not sure if I would recommend it. I don't regret playing and had fun most of the time, but sometime around 80h mark, I just wanted the game to end.

I Found Remake only max OK so 5/10. But because it is not a 1:1 Remake as promised I rate it 3/10.
I think Rebirth is MUCH worse than Remake. Literally garbage. If I see Aeris one more time waving her hands beside her head like a mentally ill I die

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Since it's relevant to this getting a PC port faster - Squeenix commits to aggressive multiplatform releases instead of console exclusives.
https://nichegamer.com/square-enix-...aggressively-pursue-a-multiplatform-strategy/

Square Enix has announced a new business plan that will see the company shift away from console exclusives like Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XVI.

The new strategy will see the company “aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy” that will see its games release across all modern platforms – including PC, Xbox, Nintendo, and PlayStation.

This is a massive shift in the company’s policy which frequently saw games release exclusively, sometimes seemingly permanently, only on certain consoles like PlayStation 5 or Nintendo Switch.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Is it doing that shit from the last game where there's a bunch of narrow passageways everywhere that take 10 seconds to shimmy through, each fucking way, just so you can explore a corner of the town that has like one guy with filler dialogue or a chest with a potion?

Ash

Arcane
FF 10 was a series of corridors, 11 an MMO with shit gameplay, 12 played itself, 13 was three games of the director wanking to his notCloud wife, 14 is another MMO, 15 was an unfinished boy band journey, and 16 was DmC. Remake fucking up everything with time ghosts only helped sour people on the brand. There hasn't been a good Final Fantasy mainline game in a long time.

:obviously:

cruel

Cipher
Is it doing that shit from the last game where there's a bunch of narrow passageways everywhere that take 10 seconds to shimmy through, each fucking way, just so you can explore a corner of the town that has like one guy with filler dialogue or a chest with a potion?

A little bit different way this time. Stuff like: hold a button for 5 seconds to push stuff or open the gate; VERY slow puzzles involving pushing a cart; 'immersive' sequences when you need to SLOWLY push R2 / L2 to crawl and repeat n-times; forced walking sequences etc. Fortunately, not very frequent, so while noticeable, can be tolerated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom