Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finally playing fallout 3

Saxon1974

Prophet
Ok I know Im going to get flamed for posting that Im playing this "Most hated game on the Codex" but I got it on ebay for 25$ and I really like the post apoc setting.

Anyway,

Couple of early impressions from about 2 hours of play.

-The music isn't very good and does not seem to fit the mood

-Combat as expected is a click fest. I tried using VATS but it seems kind of pointless, I que up my 6 or 7 action points and let them fly and then basically descends into a button mash fest. I haven't played much at all so I hope the VATS gets better the more I used it. Is VATS worth using?

Seems okayish so far, I have to say I agree with those that thought the beginning was stupid. The part where your walking around as a baby was beyond stupid, Im amazed they included that. Really thought the whole beginning was average at best.

If its a wide open post apoc world hopefully I can enjoy it for what it is and not expect too much....

Questions on playing;

1- What's a good difficulty to play on? I like games to be a challenge and I used "HARD" setting and the game still seems a bit easy. Should I use "VERY HARD"?

2- I installed the latest patch and broken steel DLC, but how do I tell what my game version is? I dont see it anywhere.

Any other advice for playing this game? (And please dont say "Just dont play it")

Ok flame on.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have nothing productive to add to this, other than clicking on "Un-install Fallout 3". :wink:

Apparently JE claimed he was at 90+ hours of playtime, and still had not finished the game. So apparently look around and explore.

Luzur

Good Sir
well the environs was ok to look at, the ruins and whatnot looked nice and dirty.

but still it shouldnt have anything to do with Fallout at all.

i would have liked it more if it was named "generic shooter set in post-apocalyptic enviroment ala Half-Life2/Fallout" instead of trying to be a Fallout game.

Nedrah

Erudite
You probably should start looking for overhaul mods right away. I'm currently replaying oblivion with a shit ton of mods and it's exponentially better.

Luzur

Good Sir
Nedrah said:
You probably should start looking for overhaul mods right away. I'm currently replaying oblivion with a shit ton of mods and it's exponentially better.

Oblivion and 290+ of the very best mods makes it playable indeed.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Staring_eye.jpg

Hory

Erudite
Saxon1974 said:
Ok I know Im going to get flamed for posting that Im playing this "Most hated game on the Codex" but I got it on ebay for 25$ and I really like the post apoc setting.
I pirated it and still regretted the investment.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Nedrah said:

I was thinking about that. I heard that the DLC Broken Steel breaks many mods though, but Im guessing thats mod's that were installed prior to installing Broken STeel. I may go this route but I dont want to spend time fixing issues....

Saxon1974

Prophet
Luzur said:
well the environs was ok to look at, the ruins and whatnot looked nice and dirty.

but still it shouldnt have anything to do with Fallout at all.

i would have liked it more if it was named "generic shooter set in post-apocalyptic enviroment ala Half-Life2/Fallout" instead of trying to be a Fallout game.

Exactly the feeling Im getting. A big open generic post apoc world, but doesn't feel like an RPG At all.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Saxon1974 said:
Nedrah said:

I was thinking about that. I heard that the DLC Broken Steel breaks many mods though, but Im guessing thats mod's that were installed prior to installing Broken STeel. I may go this route but I dont want to spend time fixing issues....

You should NOT play with any mods at all, and play the game as was fully intended and envisioned by Bethesda Softworks. :bloom:

Dionysus

Scholar
Saxon1974 said:
1- What's a good difficulty to play on? I like games to be a challenge and I used "HARD" setting and the game still seems a bit easy. Should I use "VERY HARD"?
It's an easy game even on the hardest difficulty level. If you want a challenge, then you need mods. I recommend looking at XFO, FWE, MMM, and FOOK. One or more of those can help to increase the difficulty.

Saxon1974 said:
Any other advice for playing this game? (And please dont say "Just dont play it")
In order to enjoy the end of the main quest, you need to adopt a "so bad it's good" mentality. If you don't get a kick out of laughing at bad movies or games, then don't bother finishing the main quest. Just find your father and leave it at that.

Hegel

Arcane
Fallout 3 was good for the first 2 hours that's it. After that you would realize it's just a giant copy/paste terrible FPS with stats.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nedrah said:

Using POOP?

I found it to be pretty enjoyable with POOP indeed.

And some story-mods. There are some really good mods out there, actually. Mods that actually have gameplay and *gasp* creativity *gasp*.

Hegel

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Nedrah said:

Using POOP?

And some story-mods. There are some really good mods out there, actually. Mods that actually have gameplay and *gasp* creativity *gasp*.
Same with Oblivion, it becomes good after 150+ mods are installed.
Release dev tools, let's have customers do the job they paid us for.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Dont follow the main quest once you start rubbing shoulders with the brotherhood of steel. Its far worse than the sidequests, and ends unexpectedly soon.

Multi-headed Cow

Didn't they stop working on POOP, though? Kind of a shame, because "Big fucking mod compilation yo~" definitely seems like the way to do it. Dicking with load orders can be a real pain in the ass.

Helioth

Scholar
like I said in the tes5 thread, bethesda's games are art sims with breathing checks.

It's ok if you're not expecting any actual gameplay or fun from it. But then, knowing this full well why would you play it?

That's right:
You're sad, you're scared of going outside, and you do not collect 200 dollars when you pass go.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Saxon1974 said:
Questions on playing;

1- What's a good difficulty to play on? I like games to be a challenge and I used "HARD" setting and the game still seems a bit easy. Should I use "VERY HARD"?.

Play it on very hard , it will save you time.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Hegel said:
JarlFrank said:
Nedrah said:

Using POOP?

Same with Oblivion, it becomes good after 150+ mods are installed.
Release dev tools, let's have customers do the job they paid us for.

Good god, I dont know if I wanna start getting into mods, no idea which ones to use, nor which ones will cause issues with Broken Steel....but now you guys are tempting me. Are there just a handfull that you all universally recommend that improve AI, Improve and add quests?

Saxon1974

Prophet
ghostdog said:
Saxon1974 said:
Questions on playing;

1- What's a good difficulty to play on? I like games to be a challenge and I used "HARD" setting and the game still seems a bit easy. Should I use "VERY HARD"?.

Play it on very hard , it will save you time.

How will this save me time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom