Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Endemic

Arcane
The translation's almost done on FE5/Thracia 776, so I might play that one next.
rating_citation.png

My bad, I was looking at the wrong game. This one's done up to Chapter 6 and uses the menu patch as a base: https://serenesforest.net/forums/in...ype-menu-and-script-translation-through-ch-3/

Alternately there's the old Shaya patch which has some menu issues, but translates almost all of the chapter dialogue (minus a few character epilogues).

L'Montes

Educated
A little off-topic for Three Houses, but I'd been wondering if Genealogy (being the 4th Fire Emblem of course), would be getting the remake treatment.

New entries aside, we had Shadow Dragon for DS (remake of 1), an unported 3DS remake of FE3 (New Mystery of the Emblem), and the 3DS remake of FE2 most recently.

If Switch is the only Nintendo platform going forward, that would make it a Switch Remake of it? Though opinions may vary on whether the Switch is a combination 3DS/Wii-U successor or just an odd hybrid system.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
an unported 3DS remake of FE3 (New Mystery of the Emblem)
Slight correction. It was an unlocalized remake of Book 2 of New Mystery of the Emblem. Since FE3 is already a remake of the first game (Book 1). It was also on DS, and not 3DS. I'm pedantic, sorry.
---
I'm actually really liking the look of this game. You see a new mechanic in the form of troopers that, dare I say, remind me of Advance Wars a little bit. The art style is not nearly as trash as Fates or Awakening either, so I can only hope that the translation team somehow isn't treehouse or 8-4. It's either that or basically calling down a miracle for treehouse to localize the game and not fuck it up.

L'Montes

Educated
an unported 3DS remake of FE3 (New Mystery of the Emblem)
Slight correction. It was an unlocalized remake of Book 2 of New Mystery of the Emblem. Since FE3 is already a remake of the first game (Book 1). It was also on DS, and not 3DS. I'm pedantic, sorry.

Thank you, I'm least-familiar with the unported entries by far, and I have very little direct experience with New Mystery in particular. Better to have actual facts than my half-remembered info on that stuff.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That person definitely only played Fire Emblem 7, Awakening, Fates and called it a day, but I guess that is the standard.

L'Montes

Educated
That person definitely only played Fire Emblem 7, Awakening, Fates and called it a day, but I guess that is the standard.

There's a surprising number of fans now that are only familiar with Smash and the mobile game now, actually. On reddit, it was a minor event when the mobile game subreddit population shot past the actual series sub (kinda impressive for a game that's been around a year).

Tigranes

Arcane
Still is, if you remember to instaskip everything that has dialogue. If you don't, it's your loss.

Endemic

Arcane
Wait, Fire Emblem has a story? I played FE the same way I played Advance Wars.

It was a bite-sized tactics game good for smoke breaks.

They share a common origin. Fire Emblem happened about 30 years ago because Shouzou Kaga wanted to make another Famicom Wars type game, but with more traditional RPG elements added on top. Like with any other series storytelling quality has varied. I haven't played all of them yet, but Fates (particularly the Conquest route) was the only time I started skipping dialogue\cutscenes out of annoyance. The others typically tell a decent to good story, or at least one that is inoffensive enough (your usual hero's journey type stuff) not to obstruct enjoyment of the gameplay.

There's a surprising number of fans now that are only familiar with Smash and the mobile game now, actually. On reddit, it was a minor event when the mobile game subreddit population shot past the actual series sub (kinda impressive for a game that's been around a year).

That isn't surprising considering it has several million regular players. Anyway, between older FEs and the Saga series, there's plenty to keep myself busy until Three Houses is out.

Tigranes

Arcane
As long as all that shit continues to be insta-skippable. Does it matter if it's in a school or a war if every single character & line and cinematic shot is pure distilled shit?

Vorark

Erudite
Persona Emblem.

Even the character design was strikingly similar to Soejima's.

Endemic

Arcane
It's not surprise, sadly. Waifu Wars approach basically saved Fire Emblem if Awakening was anything to go by.

Most of the best games in the series were also badly handled from a marketing and release standpoint. Cancelling the Nintendo 64 FE, leaving Thracia 776 to languish on an outdated console. Berwick Saga outsold Path of Radiance in Japan...that had to have been embarrassing for Nintendo\IS. Then the print run of Radiant Dawn was so limited that scalpers could sell copies for $100 on Ebay in a matter of months.

As long as all that shit continues to be insta-skippable. Does it matter if it's in a school or a war if every single character & line and cinematic shot is pure distilled shit?

It looks more thought-out than Fates from what little I've seen of the plot\story, not that it's a high hurdle to clear. I'm more interested in whether the mechanics are a step up from Conquest.

Simple Simon

Scholar

Gamexplain had some interesting analysis. They caught a lot of stuff I missed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom