Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First NWN2 screenshot

Whipporowill

Erudite
Horrendous... looks like a live action game from the early 90's. What's next - wispy beards a la Betrayal at Krondor? :lol:

Seriously, I bet it looks a lot better up close and shit... couldn't...resist.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
There's a (photoshopped) colorized version of that crapscan.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I like this part :D -

Let me make sure I understand this ...

An Obsidian programmer obtained a copy of Dragonshard and will use it to scan (at Obsidian) the images of screenshots of a game being developed at Obsidian ... by, presumably, said Obsidian programmer? Does that pretty much cover it...?

because thats actually what happened - no one could scan the pictures and one of the Obsidian devs said he bought the game and will scan it "tomorrrow at the work". Thats really crazy:D.

Surlent

Liturgist
That scan is real suckage. Black and white, what the hell ? NWN2News has put that photoshopped scan on their main page. But it's still crap.
Now would be good time for Feargus to release some sharper screens to avoid bad street reputation.

Spazmo

Erudite
"The [...] sequel to [...] Neverwinter Nights is finally here"

"Coming 2006"

Is it just me or is that a bit of a contradiction?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Spazmo said:
"The [...] sequel to [...] Neverwinter Nights is finally here"

"Coming 2006"

Is it just me or is that a bit of a contradiction?
PR speak wasn't meant to be taken literally. In fact, it wasn't meant to be used for communication with those who can actually read and comprehend. It's like poop jokes - they generate instant fun and excitement in certain age groups, leaving other age groups completely unimpressed.

corvax

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
PR speak wasn't meant to be taken literally. In fact, it wasn't meant to be used for communication with those who can actually read and comprehend. It's like poop jokes - they generate instant fun and excitement in certain age groups, leaving other age groups completely unimpressed.
Think about that everytime something "new" about Oblivion comes out.

Ellester

Liturgist
Surlent said:
That scan is real suckage. Black and white, what the hell ? NWN2News has put that photoshopped scan on their main page. But it's still crap.
Now would be good time for Feargus to release some sharper screens to avoid bad street reputation.
You know if screenshots are on an Atari game manual, why can’t Obsidian start releasing some screenshots? Heck as crappy as they are, Atari released still released screenshots. Why do they have to hold Obsidian back from releasing some screenshots?

I’m starting to get ticked off. Obsidian has two games and they have either told us nothing or shown us nothing about them. I guess I’m used to the old BIS days when they pretty much told us tons of crap during development and leaked wallpapers or avatars, etc… to the community even if the game wasn't announced.

Drakron

Arcane
OE is not BIS, the days of BIS are long gone.

What you see is what became of the gaming industry, they are no longer making a game ... they are making a product and as such it have to advertised and marketed to sell.

I dont mind we dont hear about NwN2 because I am simply not interrested.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Drakron said:
they are no longer making a game ... they are making a product and as such it have to advertised and marketed to sell.
I miss games that weren't products. Like "tag", "red rover" or "duck, duck, goose".

I'm plenty irritated with the modern games industry, but they have always made products and marketing isn't new either. It's just the products actually had some substance to them back then.

Ellester

Liturgist
Drakron said:
OE is not BIS, the days of BIS are long gone.
I dont mind we dont hear about NwN2 because I am simply not interrested.
Is everyone not interested? It looks that way. Where’s some interviews about NWN2? Dhurin have you guys at rpgdot tried to get an interview? New Jersey I understand, but NWN2 is supposed to be out in the next 6 months or so. Dungeon Siege, Oblivion and even Gothic III have had interviews giving out little tidbits of information and screenshots way before release. Why the fuck can’t Obsidian?

I think Atari is the worst hype machine ever. They don’t hype their games. Atari has been non-existent at the last two E3’s. Even though it’s Dragonshard, and I don’t care, but I bet they were pissed Atari only chose to showcase d&d online at E3, while Dragonshard and even NWN2 were ignored. And the previous E3 they didn’t showcase anything. It’s like Atari has no idea how to hype a game. Or they are too fucking broke to afford any advertising for their games.

Ryuken

Liturgist
The hype machine isn't handing out full-fledged screenshots because of a PC Gamer exclusive (like with every 'major' title PCG want the world-exclusive). At least I saw a OE dev stating that he could discuss a lot more about the graphic options in NwN2 after the article has been released.

And I am going with Visbhume here too, when I heard they actually would implement a world map, the 'perhaps this will be good after all' feeling started. It's not a 'this will be good' hunch yet of course.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Yeah, after playing the Sith Lords I actually feel better about NWN2, despite all the problems it had. If nothing else, Obsidian has the talent to create an interesting story and setup. Its now I question of whether they fill in the rest of the package. I look forward to not having some generic love interest thrown in for the sake of having a generic love interest.

littleboy

Liturgist
Greatatlantic:

Yeah, after playing the Sith Lords I actually feel better about NWN2, despite all the problems it had. If nothing else, Obsidian has the talent to create an interesting story and setup.

I would agree with that, the charicters and dialouge were amazing, even the one's who were under represented and banal in the first one became intresting and vibrant in the sith lords. It's too bad that it got craped out at the end though, and the combat was way, way, way, too easy.

Avin

Liturgist
Ellester: I'm interested.

Strangely the codex seems to be far more interested in Fable and Dungeon Siege 2 shit than NWN2.

Jora

Arcane
The only reason I would understand people not being interested in NWN2 is that they fear that (as with KotOR2) the development time is too short and many features will be cut. What other sensible reason would there be? We haven't been told much, and what has been said sounds pretty good to me. It's not like the developers consider it to be their duty to make the official campaign suck just because it's a sequel to NWN. Have they not said they're trying to make it as good as possible?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Avin said:
Ellester: I'm interested.

Strangely the codex seems to be far more interested in Fable and Dungeon Siege 2 shit than NWN2.
It's been explained many times before, so here is the summary: RPG Codex is an RPG news site. We cover news. We report news on games that are currently in the spotlight and/or in development. Currently the commercial spotlight is on Oblivion, DS2, and Fable. That's why you see a lot of those. That doesn't mean that we promote those or any other games, we simply cover them giving you guys something to bitch about. Since the number of good RPGs is very small, we are covering everything that has an RPG sticker on the box, could be played on PC and in single-player mode. Any questions?

For the record though, I'm not interested in NWN2 at the moment for 3 reasons:

1) NWN
2) Atari
3) KOTOR 2

Lancaster

Novice
I agree with Jora. It's too early to judge NWN2, and KOTOR2 wasn't that bad to begin with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom