Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First time DM, what to do

Cadmus

Arcane
Me and my friends decided to start an adventure in the czech RPG Draci Doupe and because all of them are totally lazy to learn the rules or prepare anything, Ive been appointed the dungeon master. I have never played a PnP RPG in my life and Im scared to shit.

Basically we got the very first edition of this game, the rules are pretty simple and from what I know of DnD, its very similar and even simpler than the early DnD.

We want to make the game last long so I guess I should make some overarching story and give them a reason to go to the 1st dungeon and get us all accustomed to the game rules. I'll simply draw one dungeon fill it with some monsters with some logic to it and think of the descriptions of the walls, rooms, smells etc. ?

Can you guys give me some tips on what to do and what not to do, what to describe, which rules to avoid and which to enforce? We are all close friends and theyll be cooperative as long as its fun.

I literally have no idea what the game looks like once it starts and what should I do.
Maybe give me some step by step guide?
We tried to example adventure with simpler rolls and Im reading the GMs handbook but its not very helpful.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
ok Ive read it, it was actually quite helpful

I would appreciate some more specific advices on Draci Doupe from my fellow komunist kountry inhabitants
Id also like to know what more stuff to avoid and uhm kinda how to start, you know?

m_s0

Arcane
I literally have no idea what the game looks like once it starts and what should I do.
Maybe give me some step by step guide?
That's the easy part. Go to youtube and look up some games. Here's a pretty good one involving mostly newbies:
https://www.youtube.com/user/BartCarroll/videos

Watching the regular game should give you a pretty good idea of what you'll be doing (rules and details like that aside - it's D&D 4e). The DM commentary is pretty useful as well.

There's a few on the official D&D channel as well, but this one should do.

I'd say if the rules are overwhelming go light on them. Keeping the game going and fun should be your priority - it's better to keep it simple that way than it is to stop the game every time you need to look something up or make sure how something works. Don't worry if it seems like a lot to wrap your head around. It is, but you're not supposed to get and memorize everything right from the get-go, especially if you're completely new to this. Keep chipping at the rules in-between games and you'll eventually get there.

If you don't have a clue how to do something, utilize an existing rule you know that kind of fits or just roll a random die to make it look like you know what you're doing - if the players aren't familiar with the rules they won't notice. That goes for everything: don't be afraid to fuck up, because no one will be able to tell you've fucked up.

I'd still recommend grabbing an existing adventure and running that or at least looking through a couple of good ones to see how to balance encounters. I don't know how feasible this is for Draci Doupe, though. If there's some fan-made stuff you could try that.

If you want to plan beyond the first game: don't. Have an idea for the plot, or a general outline of how you want it to go (main characters, plot twists etc.), but don't go into any detail beyond that first game and especially don't put hours into writing that shit down. Players will inevitably screw up your plot. That's pretty much the first rule of DMing. For that same reason don't do too much preparation for the initial game either. If you spend hours writing pages of dialogue or whatever for characters the players will skip without even realizing it that's pretty much wasted time.

I'll simply draw one dungeon fill it with some monsters with some logic to it and think of the descriptions of the walls, rooms, smells etc. ?
Don't go overboard with the descriptions and don't cover every single thing - players are going to use their imagination and fill the gaps. If they need more they'll just ask you. It's a better approach than it is to try to cover everything, go on for a couple of minutes every time and have everyone bored to death, because nothing you've said is of any use to anyone, even if you do think it's really cool. Senses are good, but use them sparingly to give the descriptions a feel instead of going down the entire list every single time.

So for example: if there's going to be zombies in a dark room have it also stink like rotting flesh or something like that and it'll be enough. No one is going to care about the exquisite dwarven craftsmanship that went into creating the door they're going through to get to that room or be interested in the fact that the stonemason was clearly a master when they're lopping limbs off of a zombie inside. Not if it's a dungeon crawl, anyway.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane
Thanks, Ill check out the video. About the plot, you're right. I already started planning some epic bullshit that would force them to go from place to place to place so I'll just forget about it. I'll have them buy their gear, someone will contract them to bring something from a nearby crypt or something and then a dungeon crawl ensues and I suppose I can tie it to something else later if I need.

I'm afraid I'll have to be looking up even the most basic rolls at first but whatever. By the way, they will be creating their characters at the start of the session which makes it kinda impossible for me to plan enough traps or shit for their characters to use, right? I don't even remember how the perception checks in that game work so I'll just plan a nice big dungeon with some traps, some secrets and have it work as a place where the creatures could actually live, so it wouldn't seem stupidly gamey.. am I making sense? Should I even try to include some NPCs? Because I can't figure out what the reason would be for them to be standing for an eternity in a dungeon and wait for the heroes to talk to them.

I also suppose I will completely ignore the prescribed hearing radius of the monsters and heroes with all the modifiers for certain types of walls and doors and just roll something when there's a noise behind a light door or something? Sounds good?

Another thing that I don't understand is what's the significance of time in this game. Like, I'm supposed to be counting time for each passed tile, room search and fight, beyond the combat rounds and the only effect that I found it has is for the torch going out. There was no mention of any food or anything, should I bother with the time?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Another thing that I don't understand is what's the significance of time in this game.

The significance of anything is measured by how significant you want it to be.

By the way, they will be creating their characters at the start of the session which makes it kinda impossible for me to plan enough traps or shit for their characters to use, right?

Naw, you can still do trollings, make them stumble on a trap and say 'ho boy, bet y'all wish you had someone who could disarm it now :troll: ".

Remember young padawan, if you aren't trolling the players at every step, you will never be a good GM.

Cadmus

Arcane
Another thing that I don't understand is what's the significance of time in this game.

The significance of anything is measured by how significant you want it to be.

By the way, they will be creating their characters at the start of the session which makes it kinda impossible for me to plan enough traps or shit for their characters to use, right?

Naw, you can still do trollings, make them stumble on a trap and say 'ho boy, bet y'all wish you had someone who could disarm it now :troll: ".

Remember young padawan, if you aren't trolling the players at every step, you will never be a good GM.
Maybe one or two class specific problems would be cool but I'd still have to provide an alternate solution because it's our first game and I don't want it to end before we even memorize how to roll during the combat...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Roxor has a point: You should design some content that will make your players go "I wish I had skill/talent X". It will make spending xp more interesting, and it will force them to be creative with what they have.

But maybe not for the first session, it should probably be a rather straight forward affair to ease all of you into the setting and the rules.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Keep it simple, keep it safe. <----- that's about the best advice I can give you. Don't try out complex systems or hard-to-management adventures on your first go. Just go with something really basic that you feel safe in. Talk about your expectations with your players and remind them you're in this together to have fun. Take up issues or problems with the group dynamic as they occur, talk about them like adults. The most important thing is that you all bend to meet each other and that fun is the main goal around the table. Everything else is secondary.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Indeed. Fun is mandatory.

fc.png

spectre

Arcane
Since all of you guys are newbs, it will basically be your job to ease all of you into the system. Since I know diddly squat about Draci Doupe (I only know its inspired by dungeons and dragons), I'll give you some general hints.

First of all, prepare a basic outline of the story. Since as you say, they are all lazy fucks, they will most likely welcome you doing a 100% rails-on adventure - which means you will want to
pre-plan the general route - know what the characters will do, who will they meet, and what will happen, who will say what.
You can even write out whole passages of text to read if that helps you, or divide your "sciript" into chapters and subsections and add some buzzwords to describe them.
It's all about note-taking, not unlike giving a presentation. Such skills will serve you well in GMing.

Your spoken descriptions will most likely suck at thevery beginning, so prepare some visual aids - do a google search for some of the stuff (old maps, charater images, photos)
and put them on the table as needed for illustration. If you plan any combat encounters, rough area maps also help here.

As you gain experience, you will want to get away from pre-planning everything to give the other guys more freedom and more power to share the story.

Your first adventure should be a simple one, with a clear goal - the gang should get together, do some bro-bonding and solve a simple problem or two.
Since all of you are new to the system, plan it out so that they will face some combat, and some non-combat encounters.
The adventure doesn't have to be long, the idea is to see for yourself how it all works, then talk about it and see what works and what doesn't.

Think of a simple framework for the characters to meet, it's best when they share something to allow for quick group bonding - maybe they are freshly escaped slaves, or sailors on one ship.
To speed up the whole gaming process, you may want to prepare the character sheets with stats in advance hand them out to the players and tell them who they are.
HOWEVER, let them share some of the creative process, you just hand out the numbers, let them flesh out the character some - name, backstory, personality, quirks - leave this to them.
This approach has a few advantages, since you have control over the character stats, you can plan your adventure so that everybody has a role to play and be useful - this bit is very important,
you should know your "actors" and adjust your plans to cater for them, cause they are the main guys here. You're the director, they are your troupe.
If one of the characters wants to play a ratcatcher, you bloody better put some rats in your script. You don't have to focus entirely on that, but he or she should feel useful.

You will want to let your guys get into character as soon as possible - let them talk among themselves, show them what's on the table and let them make plans.
For example, tell them they are slaves in a dark wood, a manhunt was sent after them and now they have to fight for their lives. Give them a general description of what's around them (with more or less subtle hints as to what to do next, remember, it's their first time).
More importantly, let their characters shine, let them describe themselves and get into character, draw them into conversations with one another.
After that, sit back and let them squabble and plan what to do. See what they can come up with, maybe offer some help from now and then. More importantly, this'll allow you some breathing room, since most likely you've been doing a lot of talking up till now,
it also gives you time to plan what happens next, you can also make slight adjustments to the hunting party if they come up with a really shitty plan (the idea is not to kill all your guys on their first gaming sessions, killing is always an option and they should definitely feel threatened, but ou'll have plenty of time for such in the future).

Now, once you've wrapped up the first adventure (say the players have successfully defeated or avoided their pursuers), wrap up the adventure and try to get some meaningful feedback from the guys. Ask them what works and what doesn't,
and more importantly, ask for ideas as to where the story should go. It's also good to ask if they enjoyed their characters and if they would like to change something.
Remember to give generously, especially if the players took effort, devised some ingenious plan, etc. Reward those who really managed to get into character.
The reward can be experience points (or equivalent) or items, but remember, these don't have to be powerful, think of them as tools to expand the possibilities available to the party, or as mcguffins to drive the story forward.

One thing you should definitely do is learn the rules of the game enought to be comfortable with them, nothing breaks the narrative more than flipping through the books for some obscure reference.
You should probably play out some situations with a bunch of premade charaters for yourself, roll some dice, make a sample combat encounter, see how it all works in practice.
With time you will know which rules you can ignore, when to fudge results to get things going (remember you are the GOD here). You should get into the right mindset from the very beginning - the ultimate goal is to tell a great story and for everyone to have fun.
It's not you vs. them - doesn't mean you have to play nice all the time, just don't be a dick and make everybody feel useful.

m_s0

Arcane
I'm afraid I'll have to be looking up even the most basic rolls at first but whatever.
Make a cheat sheet, write down some of the more complex/potentially problematic rules and keep that on you. As spectre said, if you run a few test encounters for yourself it might help you to familiarize yourself with the rules and/or at least determine whether you need to write something down for reference. It's faster than flipping through books.
You get around that by giving them pre-made characters (consult with the players what type/class of character they want to play beforehand, though). Another huge advantage of those is that you skip having to explain a ton of rules at the very beginning of the game. Ease them into it. Teach them the combat rules by running them through a combat encounter, one rule at a time. This is how you determine who goes first, this how you attack, this is how you roll for damage, apply modifiers etc. Same for any other aspect of the game. After they get used to the game you can dedicate a session to help them create their own characters and explain anything they haven't learned yet then.
I don't even remember how the perception checks in that game work so I'll just plan a nice big dungeon with some traps, some secrets and have it work as a place where the creatures could actually live, so it wouldn't seem stupidly gamey.. am I making sense? Should I even try to include some NPCs? Because I can't figure out what the reason would be for them to be standing for an eternity in a dungeon and wait for the heroes to talk to them.
It depends on whether npcs will fit into what you're trying to do. If not, then don't bother. Though not every npc has to be a townsperson. A cowardly goblin that declares the players his new best friends after they split his buddy in half in front of him is an npc as well. I'd leave that part for later, though, for when you're more comfortable with the rules.
I also suppose I will completely ignore the prescribed hearing radius of the monsters and heroes with all the modifiers for certain types of walls and doors and just roll something when there's a noise behind a light door or something? Sounds good?
Sounds like less stuff to keep track of, so yeah.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm not a huge proponent of modules, but when you are starting out I think they can be pretty good. You say you're planning to play a game that's a lot like early D&D? If it's somewhat close in terms of mechanics, you could probably buy one of the old TSR B-series modules, like B2:Keep on the Borderlands and convert it. It's a nice beginner sandbox module that doesn't put the players on rails and lets them sort of explore around and get into the kind of trouble they want to.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
No idea about Draci Doupe, but here is some advice to build and run a simple, fun intro adventure. I will give examples for everything, but the real rewards are in coming up with your own ideas..

Encourage action: don't overthink your story. Much of it will be created by your players right at the table. What you want is an effective adventure hook to pull them in and start interacting with your adventure. That means doing things. Throw them into the action and make every step they take interesting.

Bandits are raiding the village! They have carried off the loot through the forest to the old silver mines, but the trail is still hot! Can you recover the goods before the band pass through the mines and are never seen again?

Make it about decisions. Think of every encounter (place or situation) as a decision-making point. Do we go left or right, do we investigate this mysterious thing, do we ambush these enemies, sneak around them or try to capture one of them? Put your players into situations where they have to make choices and live with the consequences, but make most of these situations open-ended so they can come up with their own ideas.

The muddy road continues through the forest, but an overgrown side-trail splits off to the left, making for a shorter but more hazardous way towards the cliffs. The main bandit group went forward, but it seems a small scouting party chose the less travelled way, and they were dragging something heavy with them.

The room is full of miners’ picks, a loaded mine cart, and there are old tracks going off into a low timber-reinforced passage. However, you also see an ancient iron door set into a reinforced stone wall. The dents and scratches show someone has tried to forced it open, but failed. A faded sign says: ‘Keep Out!’

Let them do your work. Take their ideas and run with them, incorporating them into the adventure. Learn to do an effective action–reaction loop; react to their decisions and give them new choices and complications. Computer RPGs are mostly about combat because they aren’t very good at environmental simulation. The advantage of tabletop is that it is much easier to let the players make decisions that aren’t coded and expand your design on the fly.

They investigate the hollow tree trunk? You never thought about that, but whatever. As they approach, they hear a buzzing sound. It is full of bees… and delicious honey!

If they choose to dress up as bandits and infiltrate the band under the cover of darkness, give it a decent chance to succeed – of course, make it a tense experience. But what happens when a bandit gets suspicious and tries to question them?

Design the wilderness and the dungeon like a network. Don’t make it a linear ride with sights. Create side passages, dead ends and intersections. Make routes loop around and feed back into each other. Take advantage of interesting terrain and different ways to approach their objectives. Add navigation-related challenges, terrain obstacles that need a little creativity.

There may be multiple ways to enter the dungeon, and multiple routes to explore it. The main caverns are guarded by the bandits; the narrow side passages are safer, but they hold some dangerous abandoned things which may be worse than the bandits. There is a collapsed rope bridge in a cave, but they can improvise a crossing with their rope and some iron spikes. Or descend into the chasm and see if there is a way off of that.

Adventure over realism. As you create various locations, don’t be hung up about making it historically or ecologically accurate. You are designing a fantasy adventure. The places you create should be full of wondrous, risky and interactive things. It is better to design an abandoned mine with talking magic statues and dark pools inhabited by giant frogs than a boring, dusty place that really captures the technologies of the mid-15th century. Try to think of something interesting for every area you write about. Make things odd. Don’t overexplain the fantastic.

There is a stone font here, carved with the patterns of many hammers. The water springs from the mouth of a carved fish, and there are two levers next to the font, both in the upright position. A skeleton, its bones encrusted with minerals and limestone, lies next to the font, still clutching a rusty pickaxe.

Realism means consequences. The ‘realism’ you are looking for is not necessarily mundane reality, but solid cause-and-effect stuff. What matters is making the game world self-consistent, and turning things that happen there into more adventure.

A character is caught in a rusty bear trap, and aside from taking damage, he must roll a saving throw to avoid crying out. If they cry out, the sound may attract the nearby bandits (give them a hearing check or a flat 1:6 probability on a die). If the bandits come and get killed, their fellows may eventually notice they are missing and investigate. If they discover there is a group of dangerous foes in the mines, they may become much more cautious and alert… or they may try to get on the move again to leave this cursed place.

Add some complications to the basic concept. Multi-layered plots are very easy to do, and they make the whole adventure feel alive. You don’t have to make it complicated.

There is an insane hermit in the woods, a former miner, and he sneaks into the mines by night to search for his long-lost fellows. He is sneaky and dangerous to both the players and the bandits. There are also a set of crypts in the deeper passages, and they may still hide something very valuable… and dangerous.

Reward exploration. Make curious and clever players find interesting information, extra treasure, an advantage over their opponents, but most of all, help for survival. Let them find a lot of clues about dangerous things. If there is a trap, add a few broken human bones. If there is a monster, make its lair stink.

If they think about asking someone in the village about the silver mines at the start, let them meet an old miner who can give them a tip or two. If they look behind the waterfall, let them find a secret, unguarded way into the mines (unless we count the giant leeches in the flooded cavern…). If they sneak into the brigand chief’s lair, let them find sealed documents which proves that he intends to betray his men (and to whom?).

Don’t invalidate their choices. Sometimes players do something you never thought of, or just go off the tracks and head into a direction that isn’t in your notes. That’s okay (although you can warn them the trail is getting colder). Come up with a way to continue their adventures. Bluff if necessary.

They never liked those villagers anyway. They set off for the mountains in pursuit of a misinterpreted clue and don’t . Well… that way is the… that’s right, TheValley of the Orcs. That’s also an interesting place, although the bandits and their loot will be gone (but they will return in a future episode!)

It is okay to fail, it is okay to succeed. Sometimes characters die or fail in other ways. That’s okay. Don’t make your adventure super-hard, but allow for casualties. This ups the stakes, and dead characters can be replaced rather simply. Also, if the characters win way beyond your intentions, that’s also fine – the players have earned it.

But not all failure has to be deadly. Maybe someone fails a Jump check over a chasm. Do they fall and die? Well, maybe they just lose their backpack or weapon first, or suffer some damage.

Arnult the Grey is killed off in a nasty giant frog-related accident. The player sighs and rolls a new character. Fifteen minutes later, the characters meet Lothar the Strong, a mysterious ranger who is hunting the bandits to avenge his dead brother. He is ready for action.

Link it together. Add links to new adventures and sequels so there will be something interesting for the next time as well.

Maybe they find a map in the brigands’ stash that leads to an abandoned monastery reputed to hold a magical well. Or they find the bandit chief’s secret letter, which shows he was following orders from someone, and they will meet at the crossroads at Dead Horse Pass in two weeks. Or...

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
If your dungeon is fairly open-ended, it doesn't really matter what kind of characters they will be playing. They will explore it on their own terms, and deal with challenges according to their own abilities. What you want to avoid is critical chokepoints where the action stops if they don't have access to a specific ability. That's okay for side stuff (like a secret door where they need a skilled thief to open it), but should be avoided elsewhere. The more ways to tackle a situation, the better.

Yeah, it's better not to get lost in minute mechanics. If there are no perception rules, a simple 1d6 roll, with success on a 1-2, will work as well as anything.

Another thing that I don't understand is what's the significance of time in this game. Like, I'm supposed to be counting time for each passed tile, room search and fight, beyond the combat rounds and the only effect that I found it has is for the torch going out. There was no mention of any food or anything, should I bother with the time?
Yes, but only in the abstract sense. Things happen over time. A sentry gets bored and goes off to take a leak. Torches burn out. Characters must eat and sleep or suffer a negative modifiers to their rolls. Monsters also move around in the dungeon and they may bump into the characters. There is no precise system you must follow... just think of what the passage of time may mean for your adventure.

I'm not a huge proponent of modules, but when you are starting out I think they can be pretty good. You say you're planning to play a game that's a lot like early D&D? If it's somewhat close in terms of mechanics, you could probably buy one of the old TSR B-series modules, like B2:Keep on the Borderlands and convert it. It's a nice beginner sandbox module that doesn't put the players on rails and lets them sort of explore around and get into the kind of trouble they want to.
Tomb of the Iron God is also pretty good as a low-level dungeon, even to learn from. It's also inexpensive and packs a lot of content for the price.

Cadmus

Arcane
Thank you so much, guys! I'll start working on it tomorrow and try to use all this and train myself with the game mechanics as well.

Morkar Left

1. Know the rules and keep the rules you will likely have to use handy. If you don't know the rules improvise (and make it a rule for this one session) except a player knows the rule in question exactly. Then take his advice. As a rule of thumb better to improvise than spending a lot of time searching for a particular rule.
  2. Keep notes about the hp of your pcs to avoid killing them because of some unlucky dumb roll. Avoid killing the whole party in one blow, give a hint when they act really dumb and this could happen. But only one warning. If they want to be dumb. they have to live and die by the consequences.
  3. Be ready to improvise the story accordingly to the actions of your pcs, avoid railroading them.
  4. Plan your encounters; what strength do they have? What weaknesses have your pcs? Exploit the weaknesses only when the encounters are low level or you want your pcs to lose.
  5. Write down the motivations/interests of your npcs. This will help you greatly to improvise.
  6. Relax.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'll throw in one golden rule of DM'ing: Roll everything in the open. It doesn't matter if you're playing a sandbox or a meta-plot driven story game. If your players ever catch on that you're putting your finger on the scales to get a particular outcome, the game runs a serious risk of becoming completely un-fun for everyone involved. Trust me, 95% of people would be happier with a TPK rather than knowing that the outcome is rigged.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'll throw in one golden rule of DM'ing: Roll everything in the open.

Nah, all it needs is good self-control. And some rolls need to be done in secret to keep up tension and mindfuck the players.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'll throw in one golden rule of DM'ing: Roll everything in the open. It doesn't matter if you're playing a sandbox or a meta-plot driven story game. If your players ever catch on that you're putting your finger on the scales to get a particular outcome, the game runs a serious risk of becoming completely un-fun for everyone involved. Trust me, 95% of people would be happier with a TPK rather than knowing that the outcome is rigged.

Maybe this is the case in some groups, but I've never encountered a situation where this was true for mine. However like I said, I don't rule out that it is important in some groups.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Some things should be rolled in secret. Spot rolls are the best example I think. If the players can see that they clearly passed the test, they'll know for sure that there are no hidden things. As a general rule, only roll things in secret when seeing the result of the roll would give the players almost as much information as passing the test itself.

Oh and you probably don't have enough time now, but start reading Darths and droids at some point http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html it has a lot of really good tips :)

nikolokolus

Arcane
Jaedar secret rolls for spotting things are fine, but I guess I was talking more about any roll that deals hits or does damage. To Grunker 's point, I guess it depends on the game and the people involved. Most of the stuff I've played in has tended towards the more lethal end of the spectrum, in games that assume character death isn't rare and most people have been on the same page. If a game is more character/story driven I can understand the urge of a GM to occasionally tilt the odds in an effor to maintain continuity, but I think I'd feel cheated if I found out an accomplishment or narrow escape wasn't really luck or skill, but was instead GM fiat. YMMV.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ My current game is about 50% roleplaying and 50% extremely by-the-numbers-lethal-my-hands-are-off tacticool combat. I roll in secret, but players trust that I don't lift a finger to influence the game's events. What I think enforces this trust is that they've met with harsh consequences and seen me fail and/or succeed at rolls where it might have been convienient to influence them.

nikolokolus

Arcane
^ My current game is about 50% roleplaying and 50% extremely by-the-numbers-lethal-my-hands-are-off tacticool combat. I roll in secret, but players trust that I don't lift a finger to influence the game's events. What I think enforces this trust is that they've met with harsh consequences and seen me fail and/or succeed at rolls where it might have been convienient to influence them.

I was a strict "behind the screen" guy for years and then I played in a game with a guy who did everything out in the open. Hell, he even had us do the rolling for Monsters/NPCs and I realized it just kind of clicked for me. But your point about players trusting that you're not tipping the scales is a big one. Without that trust in place I've been in a group where there was a strong suspicion that the GM was playing favorites; I was neither favored nor disfavored, but it lead to a lot of butthurt and the group ended up dissolving after that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom