Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First update for GalCiv 2 on the way

Astromarine

Erudite
<strong>[ Game -> Update ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com/wikitacticular/index.php?title=Galactic Civilizations 2">Game: Galactic Civilizations 2</a>

<p>Brad Wardell, Galciv 2's Lead Designer, has just posted the contents of the game's first patch/update, which will come this Friday. Here's the <a title="Patch Info" target="_blank" href="http://www.galciv2.com/Journals.aspx?AID=102455">link for the list</a>. One of the things that makes Stardock stand out as a developer has always been their support model, and it's nice to see a few new features coming together with the inevitable bug fixes. Here's a partial list (about a third of the total):</p><ul><li><address><em>Fix
for bug where save games with a version &lt;= 24 didn&rsquo;t properly set
the cached commonly-used tech IDs. This bug manifests itself by making
the "Speak To" button do nothing or not acknowledging a technology
victory.</em></address></li><li><address><strong>Research Wnd: When listing ships that a tech will unlock, the other techs required will be listed as well.</strong></address></li><li><address><strong>Support for a mods directory where people can dump things in (we'll document this as soon as we get a breather)</strong></address></li><li><address><em>Fix for when a starbase is destroyed and being unable to build another star base on it</em></address></li><li><address>More debug messages for saved games to provide more user info on what's being saved</address></li><li><address><strong>Custom maps will tell you how many players they were designed for</strong></address></li><li><address>Easier to get higher approval on planets with low tax rates</address></li><li><address>Morale ability nerfed a bit it now is to the .80 power to balance.</address></li><li><address>Sensor range capped at 15 tiles. Significant performance issues if it gets much bigger than that (&gt; 1 sector)</address></li><li><address>Tweaked farm
improvements. Farm improvements provide 4,6,8,10,12 units of food as
you go up the tech tree. This prevents players from accidentally ending
up with ridiculously large populations that are impossible to keep
happy.</address></li><li><address>Sensors are a bit more expensive in terms of space</address></li></ul><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.galciv2.com">Galciv Official Page</a></p>

VasikkA

Liturgist
A new newsposter?
aiee.gif

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
No, just my alt.

It's good they have a mod directory. I always hated messing around with things in other games to get mods working, so it'll be quite handy when I finally get the game (a month or so, maybe) and there'll be a bunch of mods out for it.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Sensor range capped at 15 tiles. Significant performance issues if it gets much bigger than that

Does that mean 15 parsecs or 15 sectors? I can't imagine campaigning without my AWACS ships.

EDIT- Now I see what he's talking about- just built a ship with 76 sensor range, and performance did decrease drastically.

Astromarine

Erudite
not to mention it makes you a cheating bastard :D

I keed. But seriously, AWACS is a great help, but putting 70 sensors on a cargo frame is just wrong. I use tiny hulls, and the range I can see to seems fine.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I keed. But seriously, AWACS is a great help, but putting 70 sensors on a cargo frame is just wrong. I use tiny hulls, and the range I can see to seems fine.

Why wrong? I admit I haven't played the game, but this is something real-world militaries have done a lot. I think you are having the same reaction to such a utilitarian vessel that the Air Force generals are having towards the B-747 idea (quick explanation if you're unfamiliar: 747's are cheap and big and can carry lots of bombs), "But...but....that's so...pedestrian."

edit: is there a demo?

Astromarine

Erudite
it's not that it's pedestrian. It's that 72 sensors are enough to instantly reveal the whole map, probably up to "large" galaxy size. It means not having to explore, or post sentries, or wonder what the AI is doing ever again. Hell, if I was a leader of one of the game civs, I'd sacrifice a few billion people to obtain that tech.

Problem is that sensors are additive, unlike the real world. You can't just stack TWO awacs on top of each other and see twice as far. It's a game issue.

Demo: Yes, unsure when. Probably next week.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Astromarine said:
But seriously, AWACS is a great help, but putting 70 sensors on a cargo frame is just wrong.

Actually, a "Huge" hull with Sensors and Miniaturization maxed out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom