Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Flagship bites the dust

They put on a brave face, pretended it wasn't happening...so now everybody gets to laugh even harder:

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/899/899429p1.html

Suits them right, for shovelling a piece of shit where my ARPG should have been. Fuckers were trumpeting their 'makers of Diablo' status from day one, talk about epic fail. Now everybody gets to deride the names Bill Roper and David Brevik alongside names like George Broussard.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Bill Roper's the biggest joke on this planet. What a tool.

Fingers crossed - hope he goes bankrupt by 2010.

Herbert West

Arbiter
You shan't be missed.
titanic_sinking_atlantic.jpg

Deleted member 7219

Hellgate London was one of the worst games I have ever played.

Mareus

Magister
"The buggy launch lead CEO Bill Roper to admit that the game was too ambitious and should have narrowed its focus."

I haven't played Hellgate London after I have seen the gameplay, but what was so ambitious about it? Wasn't it all just about shooting and killing things? How much narrower could the focus of the game be?

Hopefully ALL other developers who make shitty games like this will soon bite the dust.

RainSong

Scholar
Hellgate London - "the game was too ambitious and should have narrowed its focus."

I know where Bill will find a new home and a daily dose of fresh curative fluids.

Texas Red

Whiner
Mareus said:
Hopefully ALL other developers who make shitty games like this will soon bite the dust.

Don't bet on it. Diablo 3 will come out with predetermined > 90% reviews and a bunch of nostalgic Blizzardlings rushing to stores, repeating the success and having a bunch of other publishers wanting to have the same.

J1M

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Mareus said:

Don't bet on it. Diablo 3 will come out with predetermined > 90% reviews and a bunch of nostalgic Blizzardlings rushing to stores, repeating the success and having a bunch of other publishers wanting to have the same.
Blizzard cancels crappy games instead of releasing them. Why the waambulance?

vrok

Liturgist
Pegultagol said:
Bill Roper is 21st century John Romero.
No. Even though both produced crap on their own, Blizzard is still making great games. When Romero left id, they downgraded from great to decent.

Romero > Roper

Mareus

Magister
racofer said:
Mareus said:

If Beth alone shuts down, I would be happy.

The way FO3 is turning out to be, I am sure the sales will be weaker than with Oblivion. I really believe Oblivion sold so well just because of Morrowind. I have a funny feeling that FO3 will take the punishment for Oblivion from Morrowind fans, and it will also get its share of punishment from original Fallout fans. Since they already invested a lot of money just for FO license, and since Bethseda's PR is working 200%, who knows what fate awaits Bethcrap. Games are expensive to make, and one title that does not sell well can mean the difference between life or death for the company. But those console fanbois are probably going to ruin everything.

Mareus said:
I haven't played Hellgate London after I have seen the gameplay, but what was so ambitious about it? Wasn't it all just about shooting and killing things? How much narrower could the focus of the game be?

They tried to do both an ARPG and MMO in the same package, and failed at both. The campaign had an idiotic fan-fiction story that completely destroyed any of the atmosphere they managed to build up through the setting as well as through the visuals and cutscenes. Repetitive environments. Bugs galore. Character builds poorly balanced. NPC lines weren't even voiced. On the MMO side, they offered far less functionality than a standard MMO for only a slight reduction in price. It was simply a mediocre package overall, and it could have been much better if they had seen the game and not just the dollar signs. They got too greedy way too quickly and got what was coming to them.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Pegultagol said:
Bill Roper is 21st century John Romero.

Oh come on. Don't diss Romero like that!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom