Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent Plays Obscure RPGs (RPG Recommendations for those interested)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. I wanted to make this thread because I've been digging fairly deeply into Steam and other sites for RPGs that are a bit off the beaten path. i want to share some of the ones I'm having fun with with you guys, so I'll post some games as I play them with a brief synopsis of them, and this is aimed at anyone who wants something a bit different from the usual suspects of the RPG genre. :)

First off,
Ruins & Riches - basically a singleplayer Ultima Online. Tons of content, fantastic lore, tons of skills you can grind and basically be whoever you want to be in this lovely fantasy world. Nice stuff here and 100% singleplayer (or co-op if u choose.)

https://www.servuo.com/threads/ruins-and-riches.14888/

Dark Bestiary - very cool combat-based RPG. Has lots of "stuff" to develop on your character over time, lots of progression mechanics and fun turn-based combat. Check it out!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1020730/Dark_Bestiary/

EUO aka Euotopia - an oldschool MMORPG but can be played pretty much solo. Based on the original Ultima games, similar graphics and mechanics and just a ton to love here. Very, very enjoyable, much like Ruins & Riches with a lot of skills to grind and just fascinating and fun character development and RPG mechanics. You'll like this one. :)

https://euotopia.com/download.php

Dark Disciples 2: Rise... - Another very unique and fairly obscure RPG that I recently discovered thanks to u guys here. Features tabletop style inventory mechanics and enough RPG mechanics overall to shake a stick at. Pretty unique game that is fairly deep and complex with some really nice exploration and interaction in a huge world. Worth playing for SURE.

https://ancient-architects.com/?page_id=225

The Storm Guard: Darkness Is Coming - Fantastic "kind of a roguelike" where you develop a base, your party and go off on increasingly harder and harder missions. Stick with this one because it is wildly enjoyable, from the deep character progression mechanics to the simple to learn but difficult to master progression options back at base. Very underrated gem imho.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/409910/The_Storm_Guard_Darkness_is_Coming/

Ok so there's many more but that's all I want to type right now. I will constantly update this thread if u guys are interested. I'm having so much fun with RPGs again that I just want to share the love. See u all around. Keep gaming. :) <3

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
are you going to be uploading the playthroughs to your channel? iirc there's only one playthrough of dark disciples 2 on youtube

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
are you going to be uploading the playthroughs to your channel? iirc there's only one playthrough of dark disciples 2 on youtube

No, probably not. I've taken a break from working on my channel for now. I get to sample a lot more (and play a lot more) RPGs by not having to record each moment of gameplay, etc..

Ladonna

Arcane
I played through Dark Disciples 1 years ago, and always meant to play the second game. Thanks for reminding me.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hello all! I feel like writing a bit more so here we go...

Shores Unknown - Could this be the next sleeper hit like Kenshi was??? It has nothing in common with Kenshi thus far BUT it is *quite* the adventurous and charming RPG!! I really dig it, and apparently it's written by ex-Final Fantasy writers or some such. Anyway, it's very promising, keep an eye on it or check it out a bit early as it's actually really good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/899460/Shores_Unknown/

Symphony Of War: The Nephilim Saga - Next we have a *kind of* obscure gem, but also a bit known. This company puts out pretty great indie RPGs, and this one is their biggest undertaking yet. A huge offering of pretty great tactical combat, nice story and overall interesting and fun aesthetics and mechanics of developing your army. I dig this one quite a bit so check it out if you like this sort of thing!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1488200/Symphony_of_War_The_Nephilim_Saga/

Demise: Ascension - I know I know, this one is kind of an underground unheralded hit classic etc..BUT for those that don't know this is a very fun sort of auto-battler dungeon crawler, with nice exploration and looting and an old-school solid aesthetic. Once you learn it's more about controlling your party's position in the combat, it becomes pretty wildly fun for dungeon crawl fans. Don't sleep on this one!

https://www.decklinsdemise.com/

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - Ok, i know u guys might hate on this one but hear me out...This revamped version FIXES ALL of the issues the original Reckoning had in terms of its RPG MECHANICS!! Let that sink in for a second. Here we have a version of the game that actually fixes and completes the issues the original had in the CRPG department, making this game now one of the finest examples of action CRPG you can find, anywhere! No lie. Slower leveling up, a Very Hard mode that remains challenging, no more locking whole 'zones' to a level just because you entered them and MORE. They took the revamp seriously here and it shows, well recommended.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1041720/Kingdoms_of_Amalur_ReReckoning/

Last one for now, a double dose of Ultima Online-style CRPGs disguised as MMORPGs! Ashen Empires & Dransik. Both of these are exceptionally deep, complex and skill-heavy RPGs in the vein of Ultima Online. You can interact with the world in a ton of ways, bake bread, grow crops, tame animals, mine blacksmith chop wood...there's TONS of stuff to do here in a very charming old-school style world. You can grind here for a long time and actually have fun interacting with all the different elements of the game world. Very cool stuff and both are highly recommended.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/937380/Ashen_Empires/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1871470/Dransik/

More to come! Thanks guys. :)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Fluent might upload a video when i send him my euotopia sound and gfx mod. It is nothing special but fits my intensity for the game. Hephaestus approved!!

Ok Fluent.

1. Open your game of euo and hit F12 for the console option to adjust the game.
You'll want 32x32 gfx on
You'll want music playing on

Then exit the game.

2. copy your pics & sound folder and put it in a safe place

3. Download this zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/8vzhm5794vb99me/Fluent_EUO_Modified.zip/file

3. Open the zip and copy the sound and pic folder into your euo folder overwriting the ones in there.

4. Boot up the game and enjoy it the way I see it.

If you don't like, you have your backed up folder to put back in the euo folder. Piece of cake.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Kingdoms Of Amalur

have a sweet spot for this game somehow

its a consoletard action RPG with a generic popamole world but there's a ton of shit to do, the world is hand-crafted and I liked the freedom basically it plays like a single player MMO

its also remarkably well ported to PC (take notes Bethesda and PB)

Palomides

Augur
Amalur "feels" like it has a richness to it, but it's very superficial, it's like Fable. There's something about it that makes me drop it all the time. If there was more to its RPG systems it would be better. It's a very limited game considering what it set out to do.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Have you ever played Natuk?

I have not Big G. I will give it a Google right now, thanks!

Fluent might upload a video when i send him my euotopia sound and gfx mod. It is nothing special but fits my intensity for the game. Hephaestus approved!!

Ok Fluent.

1. Open your game of euo and hit F12 for the console option to adjust the game.
You'll want 32x32 gfx on
You'll want music playing on

Then exit the game.

2. copy your pics & sound folder and put it in a safe place

3. Download this zip https://www.mediafire.com/file/8vzhm5794vb99me/Fluent_EUO_Modified.zip/file

3. Open the zip and copy the sound and pic folder into your euo folder overwriting the ones in there.

4. Boot up the game and enjoy it the way I see it.

If you don't like, you have your backed up folder to put back in the euo folder. Piece of cake.

I will do this, thanks.

Kingdoms Of Amalur

its a consoletard action RPG with a generic popamole world but there's a ton of shit to do, the world is hand-crafted and I liked the freedom basically it plays like a single player MMO

Yeah, it's actually very nice overall. The remaster also did a great job with how they MAJORLY improved the RPG mechanics. I dunno, I played for a few hours lately and just had a blast. I think it's one of the best action CRPGs out there, that still retains its CRPG-ness with the new changes in Re-Reckoning (which brings the mechanics to a level that is at *least* as good as any other CRPG surprisingly, IMHO.)

Amalur "feels" like it has a richness to it, but it's very superficial, it's like Fable. There's something about it that makes me drop it all the time. If there was more to its RPG systems it would be better. It's a very limited game considering what it set out to do.

I don't find this to be true "in my experience". The world *does* have a richness and high quality to both it and the lore. You can talk to every NPC about a bunch of different subjects, they all have unique lore and dialogue to say as well as a very natural sounding exposition. Most other CRPGs would be told they have TOO MUCH unique dialogue and lore if they had the amount and variety of it that Re-Reckoning has. I feel the game gets a bad rap due to the MMO rumor-meme but no, this game is super quality here beneath the surface. The RPG elements are also *vastly* improved in the remaster - Re-Reckoning. I'd suggest anyone start there and forget about the original. And get involved in the movesets and upgrades for weapons. Total gamechangers in terms of how you can manipulate your weapons and attacks to fit any situation, while of course playing on the Very Hard mode. ;)

Got Alamar up to 750. Not bad and weekend ain't over yet.

Nice Kei! I'm taking a break for now, checking out some games I picked up in the sale. Have fun bro! :)

BruceVC

Magister
Kingdoms Of Amalur

And you accuse me of having bad taste in games?

I finished Amalur but it has 2 serious problems, the lore and narrative is completely forgettable and the combat becomes the most boring and pointless of any game I have ever played. There is no challenge or skill required, you just roll and click

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Kingdoms Of Amalur

I finished Amalur but it has 2 serious problems, the lore and narrative is completely forgettable and the combat becomes the most boring and pointless of any game I have ever played. There is no challenge or skill required, you just roll and click

But did you play RE-Reckoning, the remastered version? It tweaks several things to make sure what you just explained DOESN'T happen. Play on Very Hard and u will be pleasantly surprised I think. :)

One more quick recommendation, might be of interest to Theodora and others.

Final Fantasy XI Braver - This is a fangame based on the classic/old-school MMORPG Final Fantasy XI. I've been playing around with this a bit having had plenty of experience in FFXI and I am pleasantly surprised by this fangame. It's quite competent and flat out well done. Features a *ton* of the original game's mechanics but now in single-player format with a unique story campaign and such. Very cool.

https://mithrandir133.itch.io/final-fantasy-xi-braver

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Kingdoms Of Amalur

Yes a game like this isn't usually my cup of tea, but I explained why

- World isn't generated by algorithms for terrain, vegetation, etc. (such as Skyrim), stuff was hand-placed like in Morrowind)
- Good open-world exploration and biomes like Morrowind or Gothic
- Tons of stuff to do, questing, combat, secrets, dungeons, crafting, arenas, achievements
- Character building is fun
- Crafting is fun
- Combat is harder than you say, I got smashed many times
- No bugs and everything is polished and runs great

Essentially this game is like ELEX without jank

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

Fluent Plays Obscure RPGs​

For ten minutes, each.

Not quite my friend. Lowest total amount was for Braver at 2 hours because I just started playing it. Several of these are higher than 10 hours. You just don't know what you're talking about because you don't understand that I love gaming and do quite a bit of it. ;)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Good luck
14a.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Fluent could be a radio host. I just realized I had not listened/watched his let's play. He keeps the let's play vids under an hour which loads a lot faster than those 7 hour lets plays that I never finish. Yeah, far more that 10 minutes in games he posted alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom