Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent Plays Obscure RPGs (RPG Recommendations for those interested)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
%2BaDMeL.png
Here's a short game: Spinal Fantasy

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I took a look at Final Fantasy XI Braver. Nice to see later versions of RPG Maker don't make games look and run like shit anymore, and an FF6-type title in higher resolutions looks glorious. However, it peeves me that you still can't move your characters diagonally.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I took a look at Final Fantasy XI Braver. Nice to see later versions of RPG Maker don't make games look and run like shit anymore, and an FF6-type title in higher resolutions looks glorious. However, it peeves me that you still can't move your characters diagonally.

Well other than that, the game is pretty competently made. I've played about 12+ hours now and it's been great, definitely has the feel of a quality old-school FF game and of course it invokes feelings of FFXI and takes me right back there. Not *quite* the quality of a 'real' FF RPG, has some niggles here and there, but overall is quality and fun. Features some neat open world stuff, plenty of quests, a LOT of character customization, strong challenge and difficulty*, it's nice. Check it out if you can ever get past the diagonal movement thing. :D

*You can set the difficulty to a percentage, from 100% (maybe lower?) to 300% (hardest.) Playing on 150% feels pretty good.

These dark disciples games look cool. Which one should I play?

They're very cool. You could start with Dark Disciples 2: Rise Of The Earth Spirits which is the one i've been tinkering around with. Features a pretty robust Skill system, loaded inventory with unique gear and flat out fun and interesting exploration. And more! Hah. Would love to hear your thoughts after playing for a bit. I can say I've never quite played anything like it. :)

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Speaking of Final Fantasy XI Braver, if people are annoyed that there's no fullscreen or borderless window and that the taskbar/menu bar will always be showing, instead of running cumbersome borderless windows programs that may or may not work for games that don't have native borderless window, I discovered a neat autohotkey script that toggles most games I've tested with it into full borderless window including Final Fantasy XI Braver. Run your game, run the script, press F12 and voila! Borderless fucking Window. Wanna go back to usightly taskbar/menu bar showing and no more borderless window? Press F12 again, profit! You're welcome.

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

#UseHook On
F12::
WinGet, TempWindowID, ID, A
If (WindowID != TempWindowID)
{
WindowID:=TempWindowID
WindowState:=0
}
If (WindowState != 1)
{
WinGetPos, WinPosX, WinPosY, WindowWidth, WindowHeight, ahk_id %WindowID%
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , 0, 0, A_ScreenWidth, A_ScreenHeight
;Hide Windows Task Bar and Start Button. (Remove the following two lines if you don't want that behaviour)
WinHide ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd
WinHide Start ahk_class Button
}
Else
{
WinSet, Style, +0xC40000, ahk_id %WindowID%
WinMove, ahk_id %WindowID%, , WinPosX, WinPosY, WindowWidth, WindowHeight
;Show the task bar again
WinShow ahk_class Shell_TrayWnd
WinShow Start ahk_class Button
}
WindowState:=!WindowState
return

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. Just a quick one that I've only played a couple hours of but definitely will return to soon -

Uncharted Ocean. It's a mobile port (don't turn away yet!) but it's actually a pretty competent sailing sim, complete with some story and a bunch of RPG elements. I'm finding it quite light but also fun, as there's plenty of simple and some even ore advanced sailing sim things you can do here. It's a little rough around the edges but I feel it's worth it if you like this sort of thing. Features Magellan and Columbus and pretty sure the world map is the *entire* Earth. Cool!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158690/Uncharted_Ocean/

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Thanks for posting that KeighnMcDeath ^^ :)

Ok, a few more since I've been digging around.

Mage And Monsters - This is a nifty little autobattler where you develop your team of fantasy units for gladitorial combat. You face increasingly difficult encounters and must make the right moves to better upgrade your crew with gold after each battle. Plus you can recruit new units, unlock new spells which you can use anytime to devastating affect (if you decide to enhance your spellcasting), but the units fight for themselves. Pretty interesting one here, I dig it!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1950440/Mage_and_Monsters/

Buriedbornes - Dungeon RPG - This is a pretty interesting dungeon crawler where you choose with room you want to head into next and fight monsters, loot, level up, etc.. It was originally on mobile I believe and it was one of the more quality experiences there for RPG fans. Check it out if you like dark dungeon crawling and turn-based, slick combat.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2153310/Buriedbornes__Dungeon_RPG/

Choice Of The Viking - This is a pretty cool CYOA (Choose Your Own Adventure) interactive novel. This has a complete, quite deep stat system that tracks your choices in how you develop your character, plus some pretty interesting relationship and reputation mechanics too. Over 300k words with a bunch of choices for each page AND it's very well written IMO. I will be spending more time with this one on the chilly winter nights, very cool lore too! :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1975530/Choice_of_the_Viking/

Hope this thread is helping you guys! :)

Helherron - Now *this* is the good stuff! Very deep, 8 person party-based CRPG with all the elements. Something to really dig deeply into like a good D&D style CRPG should be. Tons of mechanics as I mentioned and a huge world of intrigue on this one. Most of you guys know this one so I'm preaching to the choir, but for those that don't, don't sleep on this one!

One more thing. Gregz , I think I found a few diamonds in the rough that are somewhat Kenshi-level. They are the Dark Disciples series (specifically Dark Disciples 2: Rise Of The Earth Spirits.) Simply *fantastic* and DEEP CRPGs. Also, Dransik and Ashen Empires, 2 what I call mmoCRPGs, as in you can play them mostly solo in the form of incredibly detailed, deep and fun CRPGs. Super worth playing here, all of these. But yeah, check out either DD2, Dransik or AE. DD2 is the one I'm really really excited about. Simply superb CRPG. :)

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Thanks laclongquan , game looks legit! I will play it sometime, appreciate ya bud. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom