Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For grognards, when was the point of no turning back for DnD?

When was the point of no turning back for grognards?

• After AD&D and Gygax being thrown out

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • 4th was the final point

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • I had hope until 5th

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • When the 3rd and 3.x came out

Votes: 15 20.0%

• Total voters

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Classic 1st and 2nd edition D&D is great and has all my favorite settings (Planescape, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Al-Qadim).

3rd edition is fun too, it's the one I played first and the one my pen and paper groups use the most.

But with 4th they tried to turn combat into some WoW-inspired thing, and 5th edition is just watered down 3rd with added "diversity"

Pretty much. 4ED was the steepest decline.

My favorite is probably 1ED, but 3ED was great too.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You're missing my option.

When DANDINO 3.x came out as AD&D 2E is perfect.
B/X is better though.
And BECMI is the best. +M

BasicDnDBoxes.jpg

NwNgger

Educated
You're missing my option.

When DANDINO 3.x came out as AD&D 2E is perfect.
B/X is better though.
And BECMI is the best. +M

BasicDnDBoxes.jpg
I like BECMI but the problem I have with it is that two fifths of it are almost never going to be used. I don't know a single campaign that has progressed into Master and Immortal rules. It's a nice goal to keep in mind. But will take real time years of play to achieve and I've never had a group last that long. Nor do I know any who did either. I think the maximum I've seen is parties getting up to level 10 and starting to dip their toes into owning a castle or something similar. And this is probably the main reason most OSR games are based on B/X as opposed to BECMI. Plus I suspect that once one becomes an immortal being things start to become dreadfully boring. Who poses a real danger to an immortal being who can never die?

Cael

Arcane
4th Ed wasn't simply decline. It was a fucking Moon-sized crater in the middle of the Abyssal Plains.

There is no DnD after 3.5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom