Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LucasArts Forge - the fan-made sequel to Loom

Kylearan

Educated
http://forgegame.com/?p=main

I didn't see this posted anywhere, so I thought I'd bring this to everyone's attention. From their page:

Forge: Loom Sequel
Of those left in the real world, arguably the most impacted guild was that of the Blacksmiths, whose home, The Forge, was converted into Chaos’ primary fortress. Bobbin had met (and accidentally screwed over) a member of the Blacksmiths in his travels, one Wellwrought “Rusty” Nailbender. Thanks to Bobbin’s lack of forethought, Rusty happened to be dead when his home was overrun. Thankfully, Bobbin healed Rusty before the final confrontation with Chaos, thus making the latter one of the few Blacksmiths left free in the world.

Our game follows Rusty, who has taken it upon himself to rescue his family and home. Along the way he will meet a mix of eccentric characters from a variety of fantastic guilds, with all the charm that made Loom so enjoyable. The Guild of Miners, The Order of Woodcutters, the Guild of Florists, and the Guild of Vintners will each have a part to play in Rusty’s adventure, just to name a few.

Trying to find assistance from unfamiliar guilds, dodging enemies, and overcoming an army of the dead is a lot for one young man to attempt. Think he’ll manage it?

Keep and eye on our Forum, and be sure to cheer Rusty along!

Seems like they've put a great deal of work into this, and everything looks pretty great so far! It's even scheduled for release sometime in the very near future.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Quill O' the Wisp

presents

GTvW1nk.png

Kylearan

Educated
please don't be vaporware

Well, unless they're flat-out lying, it looks as if the game is pretty much complete. They're going to release it this December.

The gauntlets definitely seem a bit contrived, and the presence of achievements (*shudder* :retarded:) bothers me a bit, it's still a sequel to one of my favourite adventure games of all time. I really hope it doesn't end up disappointing...

neilsouth

Augur
Clipboard01.jpg

Game Info Quote : Forge is a fan-made sequel to Loom, LucasArts’ 1990 adventure-game masterpiece. Loom was supposed to have been followed by two additional stories, each following a different protagonist; but these games were sadly never made. Feeling that Loom deserved continuation, the developer has chosen to carry on the story in the same vintage pixel-art style of the early 1990s and have sought to honor the theme and story that made Loom one of the most amazing interactive stories released in that gaming era

http://www.indieretronews.com/2013/12/forge-adventure-fan-made-sequel-to.html

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Those goddamn fanmade Lucas Arts look always pretty much incline but never get finished. I hope it proves them wrong. What happened to the Indiana Jones one ? The Zack Mack Kracken one ? (wait, didn't one turn out to be completed and shitty), the Han Solo adventure one ?

Dexter

Arcane
Does this have anything to do with the other "Loom-Sequel" that had been in the works since about ~2006 by these guys and didn't turn into anything? http://www.apeironstudios.com
http://web.archive.org/web/20100213011500/http://adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=828
http://forum.dead-code.org/index.php?topic=3886.0

Unfortunately that is the only thing that I could still find in regards to that, the Screenshots on Adventuregamers are long gone and any trace of it ever existing seems to be gone from their webpage too:
LZh4Jrv.jpg

Alex

Arcane
I tried out the Demo.

It has been a while since I played Loom, but the tone seemed to be more or less on the same level. I think the game needs a little more interactivity, though. One cool thing about Loom was that just trying random spells around frequently gave not only interesting results, but also sometimes gave you ideas of how to deal with puzzles. This game seems to do this to some extent, but doing more of it would be appreciated. Also, the game seems to be a bit too on rails, specially in the beginning. I know they are trying to tell a story too, but it still feels weird.

The art is pretty nice, though, and I think they can pull off a pretty good game yet.

trustno1code

Prophet
Does this have anything to do with the other "Loom-Sequel" that had been in the works since about ~2006 by these guys and didn't turn into anything? :snip:
Huh, had no idea about the Loom-sequel roots, but that screenshot rang a bell:
zlgl.jpg

They'd re-branded themselves as SVARUN Studios apparently switching gears into making an original game based in a world that "never knew Christianity, so the colorful paganism of Slavic and Germanic peoples is very much alive and well" called Vsevolod.
They released a demo in early 2012, not much activity since then as far as I know, apart from reposting a speedpainting video on Google+ in June (so they're alive at least).

Apart from some occasional Engrish and roughness around the edges, I recall the demo being pretty good.

Abisso

Barely Literate
Hey guys!

I'm Gabriele "Abisso" Nannetti, project-leader of Quill O' The Wisp (the people behind Forge). I'm always pleased to see people talking about our game, be it in a bad or in a good way. And in this case it's a bit of both.

First of all, let me try to explain the reasons behind the slow development, which seems to bother a lot of fans. It’s not an easy task to create something on (almost) zero budget nowadays. If all people working on Forge (including me) had a basic income guarantee in the country where they live, it would be easier; but as we don’t, we can only leave a bit of our spare time on the game's development. Second reason is that no money involved and slow development usually go together with frequent changes of mind by the people working on a project. About 50 people worked on Forge so far, and most of them only contributed a couple of sprites. Some others contributed more, but still they had to leave the team at a certain point. Family, a paid job: the reasons can be several.
What I'm saying is true for 99% of the fan-games, which, I hope, explains why many of them share a common fate: abandonment.
I've been struggling with all my might to prevent Forge from being discontinued and I'm glad I've managed to, so far.

We're not in any way related to the team working on those screenshots you've posted. I had some contacts with the team, but only years ago, and I didn't even know they were still developing that game (or what became of that).

Now, to another important piece of info: Forge Chapter One is just the first part of the game. All of you that tried it already know that, but I figured out it might be good repeating. In case someone still hasn't given the game a go, you can DOWNLOAD IT HERE FOR FREE.

Please don't hesitate to give constructive criticism. It's important to make the game better. And spread the word about it: we need more people to join the team if we want to speed up the development. And although it's not equally important, small donations help as well. We have basic expenses, and in the past we even had to pay one of the artists to create some of those beautiful pixel-art backgrounds. Anyway, all the expenses are clearly listed on our website (transparency first of all); and any exceeding money will be used to create Fold, the third game in the series.
So, in case you want to offer some of your time or some cents, please visit THIS PAGE.

Thanks for the feedback, and welcome back to the Age of the Great Guilds!

Cheers,
-Gabriele

P.S. On a side note, if some of you is really interested in Indiana Jones fan-games, the most promising (and still in development) are Fountain of Youth and 7 Cities of Gold. Great guys in both teams, same hardships: I'm more than happy to talk about them. I'm sure there's a Zak McKraken sequel as well, but I'm not in contact with the development team and so I don't any have updated info.

iqzulk

Augur
Did you try contacting Mark Ferrari? At the very least, you could have a sound chance of 1) convincing him to play the demo; 2) him giving you some constructive and detailed feedback about your art style; 3) gaining more information about the ideas about the proper sequel to Loom, that were considered in LucasArts at the time but just never happened to materialize.

Abisso

Barely Literate
No need to put a link on Mark Ferrari's name. Not for me, at least! I definitely know and respect his work. As a matter of fact, it's not a bad idea to contact him. Though honestly, I'm a bit afraid of his criticism! :D
Some fans found the style we adopted more colourful and pleasant, while other preferred the one in Loom. They are both pixel-art of good quality, but there's definitely differences in the 2 approaches. I think Ferrari's one was the fittest for Loom (more realistic, a bit darker, reflecting Bobbin's personality) while ours is probably fitter for Forge (more cartoony and colourful, reflecting Rusty's personality).

As per the information about the original Forge project, well... there has never been an official Forge project! Brian Moriarty himself revealed that Forge and Fold were just ideas in his mind, which never even entered a development stage. He revealed those ideas in THIS INTERVIEW, which I recommend as a good read. But these is the relevant portion for our current discussion:
Loom wasn't actually written with a trilogy in mind. But after it was finished, there was vague interest in continuing the story. In discussing this possibility, I imagined two sequels. The first was tentatively called Forge. It tells the story of Bobbin's friend Rusty Nailbender, whose home city (the Forge of the Blacksmiths) was enslaved by Chaos near the end of Loom. Rusty becomes the leader of an underground movement to overthrow Chaos, together with Fleece Firmflanks of the Shepherds and new characters from the other Guilds. Bobbin appears every now and then as a ghostly swan dispensing mystical advice, an obvious nod to Obi-Wan Kanobi of Star Wars. The story climaxes in a terrible battle that nearly destroys the world.

The third game, The Fold, is about Fleece Firmflanks and her attempt to unite the shattered Guilds in a final, desperate effort to banish Chaos. Near the end of the game, when the cause appears hopeless, Bobbin and the Weavers swoop in like the proverbial cavalry to save the day. The Loom of the Weavers is remade, reality is healed, and peace is restored to the Guilds.

But this was all just talk. I was busy with other projects, and nobody else felt strongly enough about the games to make a commitment. So Forge and The Fold never got made.

As a matter of fact, we are trying to stay true to that "canon". And unless some of those plot elements become an obstacle to a healthy game-development, we'll follow them all.

Thanks again for the suggestion: I'll be sure to let you know in case I decide to contact Mr. Ferrari, and if he answers.

iqzulk

Augur
Though honestly, I'm a bit afraid of his criticism! :D
I think that even if you disregard stylistic differences between the games, the purely "technical" tips from an artist of his level could frankly be invaluable (however they'll need to find their way to the main artists from your team first).

As per the information about the original Forge project, well... there has never been an official Forge project!
Yes, I do know about that. And I've already read that interview.

But this was all just talk
In fact, I was suggesting digging up a bit more information about that talk (instead of the condensed version from Brian Moriarty's quote) that was there at the time but never materialized. By means of contacting Mr. Ferrari - and maybe even Mr. Moriarty as well (of course, the part about possibly showing him the demo and possibly gaining some feedback also applies).

I'll be sure to let you know in case I decide to contact Mr. Ferrari, and if he answers.
Thank you. And I wish you all the best of luck with your project.

Last edited:

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Holy shit! These fanmade games can be so incredible.

Maybe the new Loom should have a sweet guitar or turntables accessory.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-of-forge-looms-forgotten-and-fan-made-sequel

The twin tales of Forge, Loom's forgotten follow-up and its fan-made sequel
Fruits of the Loom.

jpg

By Rick Lane Published 26/04/2015

When Gabriele Nannetti agreed to work on Forge , he was entirely unaware of what the project entailed. The soft-spoken Italian game designer, known online as Abisso, responded to a forum post by a Canadian named Duke Davidson, requesting aid from volunteer programmers, artists, sound engineers and so on for a new project. "He didn't mention anything about Loom," Nanetti says. "He wanted some help on game designing, because he wasn't very experienced."

"I was mainly out of the game at that point. The last game I did was in 2005. But I wanted to get back on track so I answered the post. Then, only then when we spoke after a while, it turned out he was doing a Loom sequel... and the funny thing is that I had never played Loom."

At this point in our discussion, Nannetti laughs. "I'm not one of those guys who tries to do the game they loved so much in their childhood."

jpg

The Forge as it appears in Loom.

Nannetti ended up leading the Forge project, and has been working on it for the last six years. It isn't finished. Nannetti doesn't know when it will be finished. For the second time in 25 years, the sequel to Loom is stuck in limbo.

One might argue this marks the third such occurrence, because limbo was where the first hints of Forge were visible. Loom concludes on an ambiguous note. Bobbin Threadbare thwarts the spectre of Chaos by destroying the eponymous device that has left the fabric of reality in tatters, and escapes through the last remaining void with his Weaver brethren, carrying that final tear into a moonlit sky.

"Loom was conceived as the first in a potential trilogy of games: Loom, Forge and The Fold," says Brian Moriarty, creator of Loom. "The ending of Loom was written to suggest the possibility that the stories of Hetchel, Rusty and Fleece might be continued. But there was no firm plan to actually make any sequels after Loom was done. I was too exhausted to think about it."

The Fold was never more than a twinkle in Moriarty's eye. But LucasArts did begin producing Forge, and although Moriarty's involvement in the development was minimal, it was his vision Forge followed.

Forge continued the story of Loom from the perspective of Rusty Nailbender, the sleepy blacksmith who Bobbin accidentally kills by setting a dragon on him, and then resurrects later in the game. "Near the end of Loom, Chaos gains control of the Great Forge of the Blacksmiths and enslaves the guild," Moriarty says. "The second game was going to tell the story of Rusty's attempt to regain control of the Great Forge and free his friends, including his father, the head of the guild."

jpg

The art-style for the unofficial sequel has been painstakingly recreated.

Rusty's tale would have introduced new guilds to Loom's world, and Moriarty thought the game should conclude with a "gigantic" battle-scene. "I also liked the idea of Bobbin appearing once or twice as a ghostly apparition, offering advice and encouragement to Rusty."

Visually, the game would move away from Loom's relatively pastoral setting adopting a medieval industrial look with "lots of fire, smoke and metal, rendered in amber, grey and black." In terms of mechanics, Moriarty intended to continue with Loom's musical systems, but in line with the blacksmith theme and "using percussion instruments."

Moriarty never saw those ideas bear fruit. Once Loom was complete, he moved on to a completely different project, a set of educational games based on the Young Indiana Jones TV series. "I was physically separated from the rest of the games group during this period. I'd heard rumours that a few people were exploring design ideas for Forge. But I never saw any of their work, and have no idea how far they got before the project was cancelled."

Precisely how far post-Moriarty Forge was pursued is unknown, although we do have some snippets of information. A design document was put together by Kalani Streicher and Mike Ebert. Dated March 22nd 1990 (two months after Loom's release) it outlined Rusty's journey and how the game followed on from Loom. What's more, in an interview last year aboutcancelled LucasArts games , Day of The Tentacle co-designer Dave Grossman suggested that some art was done for the project. At 640x480 resolution, it would have been double that of Loom.

What is certain is that by 1994 Forge was dead in the water. At some point during a reorganisation of the company, which included purging many producer roles, Forge was cancelled, and LucasArts focussed upon troubled project The Dig. Forge returned to limbo, and remained there for 15 years.

jpg

Nannetti's mechanic for interacting with Forge's world is ingenious, evoking Loom's design while accommodating Forge's different theme.

In 2009, interest in Forge began to bubble again. Not within LucasArts, but among a group of fans. Led by Duke Davidson and Gabriele Nannetti, these enthusiast developers came together under the name Quill o' The Wisp. Davidson's initial ideas took several forms; a game based on Loom's audio-drama, an interactive video and a prequel to Loom. "And then he decided, 'why shouldn't I do something new, a sequel?'" Nanetti says.

The nature of Forge makes it particularly unusual amongst fan projects. By now we're familiar with the concepts of fan remakes like Black Mesa Source or Command and Conquer: Renegade X. But Forge is an unofficial sequel to one game based on another game that didn't happen. Not only that, it was being co-developed by someone who had never played Loom in the first place.

This was Nannetti's first task once he joined the project, and he promptly fell in love with Loom. "I decided to devote much more than what I had planned of my time to the sequel," he says. "The team lacked almost everything, Duke had some artists and that's it. So since I knew the engine I proposed that I'd be programmer as well."

Nannetti used Adventure Game Studio as the basis for Forge, and has been the only programmer on the project since its inception. In other areas, such as art, sound, and animation, Forge has been built by over fifty people. "We had a lot of little contributions from artists, many of them offered to help and then only did like a couple of items maybe. A couple of animations, or one background, something like that," Nannetti says.

Such a broad yet shallow pool of volunteers has made consistency a real challenge. This situation was compounded when, 18 months down the line, Davidson was forced to leave the project due to personal reasons. Consequently Nannetti took sole charge of Forge. "Every time I had to look for other people to help, [I had] to explain to them what were the guidelines they were to follow," he explains. "I resorted to do some things myself is because I actually noticed I was wasting much more time to find someone else, bring him in, do the briefing and receive the result."

jpg

Forge's writing captures Loom's tone well, although conversations can be a little long-winded.

This is not to say Nannetti is ungrateful for the huge amount of help he has received during the project. He is especially happy with Forge's music, around 80 per cent of which he estimates was done by one person. He's similarly pleased the voice-acting, particularly the work of professional actor Dylan Jones. "He recorded for free like 3000 lines of speech. And it's just a third of the game, actually."

Running alongside the problem of consistency was the issue of authenticity; how much should their unofficial version of Forge resemble the official version of Loom? Plot wise, Forge would follow Moriarty's basic outline; Rusty's fight for the Forge, and would only use guilds mentioned in the Book of Patterns which shipped with Loom back in 1990.

Authenticity was a particular sticking point in two areas, visuals and mechanics. For the former, Nannetti decided to adhere as closely as possible to Forge's original aesthetics, going as far as to have the backgrounds painted in Loom's original resolution: 320x240. "The fact it's low-res actually doesn't help at all," Nannetti says. "It's much, much longer as a process. You can't use filters, basically. You don't have to place each pixel individually, but you have to use lines or the colour filler. But no big strokes, no filters, nothing like that."

With mechanics, Nannetti took the opposite approach. Initially he planned to do something music-based in the vein of Bobbin's distaff, which had you cast spells by playing a sequence of musical notes. But he decided that this didn't fit so well with the more practical Blacksmith theme. "To have a working graphical user interface, I thought it might be nice to have the player actually draw these things on the screen, and the effect applied."

This led to the creation of Rusty's gauntlets, which the character uses to draw schematics of objects in the game world, influencing them in various ways. It's a lovely counterpoint to Loom's distaff, visual instead of aural. "The concept is not completely new. But it's nice in my opinion to have it apply to how Rusty interacts with reality," Nannetti says.

jpg

Forge expands well upon Rusty's character, including his love of sleep.

So far, Quill o' The Wisp's work demonstrates a lot of potential. There are rough edges - the odd flatly-acted line or clashing character art - but they're minor flaws. The first chapter is available to download for free online, and Nannetti tells me that the second and third chapters are more or less complete. It appears to be quite a lengthy game, which is interesting given Moriarty designed Loom specifically to be brief.

Unfortunately, in the last year or so Quill o' the Wisp's work has slowed to a crawl. The economic situation in Italy has forced Nannetti to take on additional work, leaving him with much less free time to spend on the game. He has considered running a fundraiser to kickstart the final stages of development. But throughout the project he has been reluctant to accept any money for Forge due to potential copyright issues. "We feared that copyright owners could send us a cease and desist letter. That actually happened. Not for LucasArts games as far as I know, but it happened with Sierra and Sega."

For the moment, it looks unlikely that we'll see a complete sequel to Forge in the near future. But Nannetti certainly hasn't given up on the project. In a way, neither has Moriarty. During his25th anniversary GDC lecture on Loom, he described not pushing onward with Forge as the biggest regret of his life, and suggested three professional studios he would trust to make Forge now - Telltale, DoubleFine and WadjetEye, the creators of the Blackwell series.

But what does the creator of Loom think of Quill o' the Wisp's efforts? "I played the first chapter of the fan sequel, and was impressed. It's remarkably polished, with excellent music and voice acting, and contains some really fine moments. I hope they get to finish it."

Keldryn

Arcane
I had never heard of this fan made Forge before. Very, very cool. Loom was one of the first graphic adventure games that we got for our first PC back in 1990 (along with Hero's Quest).

Just replayed it for the first time in 15 years a couple of weeks ago, with my daughter.

I did NOT remember Mandible having such a gruesome death. Maybe it was different in the original EGA version? She just thought it was gross. ;)

Hope Forge does get finished one day. I've always had find memories of Loom. It's even shorter than I remembered through.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Rusty Nailbender is still one of the campiest video game character names of all time.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just watched the Class Game Postmortem: Loom talk, and Mandible's bloody demise was definitely in the original EGA version. Guess you forget things after 20 years.
Yeah, the VGA version actually toned down some things (the bloody head of the glassblower guy).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom