Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Freespace Open trailer

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great trailer. Essentially a 12 year old game, with a facelift. Still nothing better made since. Volition are just making Red Faction turds instead.

Achilles

Arcane
I bet Volition (assuming the same guys are in there) would love to make a Freespace 3. Alas, it seems the mainstream market thinks that it's quite cool to be a space marine but not cool at all to be a space pilot :(

Exmit

Scholar
Freespace , Wing Commander , Xwing and Tie fighter - the holy trinity

Bros never fosfget bros :salute:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Exmit said:
Freespace , Wing Commander , Xwing and Tie fighter - the holy trinity

Bros never fosfget bros :salute:

:thumbsup: :salute:

NEVER FOSFGET!

Alexandros said:
I bet Volition (assuming the same guys are in there) would love to make a Freespace 3. Alas, it seems the mainstream market thinks that it's quite cool to be a space marine but not cool at all to be a space pilot :(

Market can suck my dick. Enough fuckers bought X for Egosoft to make a pretty good niche for itself.With Freespace they already have the near-perfect gameplay from the first two games to use as a basis, all they really need is a modern engine with all the bells and whistles - FSOpen looks fantastic, but you can still see that it just can't be as minutely detailed as modern engine could make a spacecraft look. Do this and add a compelling campaign and people will lap it up.

As an aside, for those of you who have Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, check out Freespace Evolution, a mod for Nexus that will make Freespace into a Homeworld style RTS! :bounce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVa_M6-iZws&NR=1

MetalCraze

Arcane
I doubt Volition has the same guys that did FS2 12 years ago.
Volition just churns out shit now even by console standards.

Exmit

Scholar
afs02.png

wc0nxf.jpg

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
MetalCraze said:
I doubt Volition has the same guys that did FS2 12 years ago.
Volition just churns out shit now even by console standards.

All three of the designers are still there: Baranec, Pletcher, Scott

Baranec also was lead programmer and Pletcher came up with the entire Freespace concept.

One of the three programmers is there. Lead artist Whiteside is still there. 2 out of 5 level designers are still there. One out of 2 writers are still around. Both cutscene artists are still around. Producer is still around.

About the only people that are lost as a group totally are the three real-time artists and the music guy.

So of the 21 people that had the most input in making the game, 11 are still around, including all the crucial ones. Pretty damn good to still have the essential Freespace team together after 12 years.

So what's their fucking excuse???

circ

Arcane
The market mainly. They make what their publisher tells them to make. I'd say not wanting to make the same shit over and over again, but half a dozen RF and shitty Saints Row games disprove that.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
circ said:
The market mainly. They make what their publisher tells them to make. I'd say not wanting to make the same shit over and over again, but half a dozen RF and shitty Saints Row games disprove that.

Fucking THQ is to blame. Maybe also Interplay as I read that they still have the rights to Freespace.

bonescraper

commie said:
what's their fucking excuse???
Are you fucking dense or something? THQ is their excuse. They won't finance a niche game (read - not a triple A fucking uberseller) since they're barely holding together nowadays. They don't have big titles under their belt like Acti, EA or Ubi, so they can't afford to finance niche projects. Even if they would, Freespace 3 would be streamlined beyond regognition just to appeal to every consoletard on the fucking planet. It's that simple.

Silellak

Cipher
circ said:
Saint's Row 2 was fucking awesome.

:rpgcodex:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Silellak said:
circ said:

circ

Arcane
Silellak said:
circ said:

Well... The character generator was great and probably the most complex I've seen in any game, ever. The gameplay, not too bad. The graphics however, compared to GTA and clones that were older, was a joke. And really, how hard is it to make a somewhat realistic looking motorcycle? It looked like you were riding a pram.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
bonescraper said:
commie said:
what's their fucking excuse???
Are you fucking dense or something? THQ is their excuse. They won't finance a niche game (read - not a triple A fucking uberseller) since they're barely holding together nowadays. They don't have big titles under their belt like Acti, EA or Ubi, so they can't afford to finance niche projects. Even if they would, Freespace 3 would be streamlined beyond regognition just to appeal to every consoletard on the fucking planet. It's that simple.

Bullshit. They have the Warhammer rights including Dawn of War and also Company of Heroes, and of course Relic that makes them. They are well respected quality series and sell a shitload.
They also make bullshit like 'MX vs. ATV Alive' and 'WWE All Stars' and 'TUFF Puppy' so they have no problem making mediocre, obscure filler as well.

As for streamlining, what more is there to streamline with Freespace? It was very accessible compared to the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games and there's enough mech style games on the console that are as complicated as Freespace in terms of most functions, the extra ones can easily be added to a PC version without compromising the game much. What do you you really need in Freespace apart from cycle weapons/target, lock on nearest target, match speed, throttle up/down, afterburner, power to weapons/shields/engine, a button to communicate and select responses. All these can easily be assigned to a console controller and still have many buttons left. Some of the Jap mech games have this and more.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DoW - a quality series. Especially Soulstorm and consolized DoW2 with its addon. Oh yes.

As for streamlining, what more is there to streamline with Freespace?
For consoletards FS2 will seem hardcore most likely. Imagine they do FS3 and it's like HAWX where you need to fly through magical corridor in the sky so 100% of enemy missiles won't hit you. In other words do not underestimate dumbing down. Never underestimate it.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
MetalCraze said:
Imagine they do FS3 and it's like HAWX where you need to fly through magical corridor in the sky so 100% of enemy missiles won't hit you. In other words do not underestimate dumbing down. Never underestimate it.
sometimes you scare me, mang... not cool... not cool

Exmit

Scholar
Btw i think Prosper was on the design of Shivan ships

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
MetalCraze said:
DoW - a quality series. Especially Soulstorm and consolized DoW2 with its addon. Oh yes.

Yes it is, given the sales of DOW and the fact that it spawned many sequels. Since you played KOTOR 7 times you should be the last person to make snarky commentaries. DOW 2 sucked, but DOW and CoH were very good.

For consoletards FS2 will seem hardcore most likely. Imagine they do FS3 and it's like HAWX where you need to fly through magical corridor in the sky so 100% of enemy missiles won't hit you. In other words do not underestimate dumbing down. Never underestimate it.

I don't buy it. Freespace 3 would easily sell at least as many copies as the X series and it wouldn't be all that expensive to make either. They'd make a profit just with PC sales.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Pretty sure Volition will never come back to Freespace, because you can't control this shit with a gamepad. And I doubt they would be allowed to make a PC exclusive game.

Nowadays they're busy with the new Red Faction turd and Saints Turd 3, they have also been confirmed to work on an Action RPG (Summoner 3?) and Insane (Tel Doro game).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I honestly don't know what Freespace is. I never played it, in that I assumed it was a RTS.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Jaesun said:
I honestly don't know what Freespace is. I never played it, in that I assumed it was a RTS.
Freespace series is arguably the best space flight shooter series ever, back then when Volition still made good games.

You can get both at GoG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom