Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Freespace Open trailer

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Well that was extraordinarily boring to the point of being extremely embarrassing. The graphics update is minimal and the "new" cutscene is really just the same old intro except painfully slowed down and with the human models removed so now it's just spaceship spaceship spaceship space space spacestation spaceship. The added on part where "the cavalry arrives" was stupid. Freespace 2's intro is short and sweet. You'd have to be special to fuck it up like this.

Luigi

Barely Literate
Well, holy molly. The horse still has some brains left. Fully agree.

Trailer sucks donkey balls, hard.
Epic, grimdark bump-mapped shit.
Run of the mill Michael Bay/new Star Wars vomit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
Yes it is, given the sales of DOW and the fact that it spawned many sequels.
Of course. Sales is an indication of quality.

Since you played KOTOR 7 times you should be the last person to make snarky commentaries.
Just because I played KotOR 7 times doesn't mean I can't tell quality from mediocrity.

DOW 2 sucked, but DOW and CoH were very good.
So you agree with me on DoW2? DoW was good only up until they made amateurs to make an addon for it and DC already had balance messed up (although I like it). CoH is pretty mediocre. Awesome missions where you control limited amount of soldiers Faces of War style vs. shitty RTS missions which in the end turn into "who bring more units to the enemy base - wins".
Still something tells me THQ had barely anything to do with it. Relic pretty much dropped the ball after DoW1 themselves.

I don't buy it. Freespace 3 would easily sell at least as many copies as the X series and it wouldn't be all that expensive to make either. They'd make a profit just with PC sales.
You see the problem is FS3 will sell... hmmm... probably a million or two (if it's really good and addictive, like the second installment). But who needs a million or two of sales when you can have 5 millions with some Saints Row shit.

You can make profit with any kind of game. But will you buy 2 ferraris with it?

Exmit

Scholar
Horse go do a LP of final fantasy 2 and Pokemon gold , seems these are your type of games.

you piece of cock sucking turd, your momma is boring when i raped her

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Exmit said:
you piece of cock sucking turd, your momma is boring when i raped her
That says a lot about how boring american profanity is.

And the trailer sucked. The game however, I don't know. It might be good but that trailer doesn't exactly make me go yahoo in my panties. I love Freespace 2, it's the best Wing Commander ever, but that trailer sure wasn't Freespace 2.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
Of course. Sales is an indication of quality.

Yep. DOW is a very good series. Good ratings and good games(before DOW2 which just became a cut down shit without any base building(kind of like C&C4).

So you agree with me on DoW2? DoW was good only up until they made amateurs to make an addon for it and DC already had balance messed up (although I like it). CoH is pretty mediocre. Awesome missions where you control limited amount of soldiers Faces of War style vs. shitty RTS missions which in the end turn into "who bring more units to the enemy base - wins".
Still something tells me THQ had barely anything to do with it. Relic pretty much dropped the ball after DoW1 themselves.

I liked controlling the IG in the DOW expansion, it was more of the same though. CoH had good FOW missions and the RTS was just standard RTS fare, nothing that great but nothing worse than almost everything either. Always preferred the limited amount of units style of RTS anyway rather than the churn out a thousand units and grind down the enemy.

You see the problem is FS3 will sell... hmmm... probably a million or two (if it's really good and addictive, like the second installment). But who needs a million or two of sales when you can have 5 millions with some Saints Row shit.

Well I remember mentioning this fact before many months ago, about how their is a greed among producers that sees them not happy unless they sell millions upon millions of a game, and are not happy when even if profitable, a game sells far fewer copies. Splitner Cell Double Agent sold a little less than the earlier games(despite making a profit anyway) and so they decided to castrate the game and turn it into a Gears of War/Max Payne shooter.

Shit, if a FS3 sold a million or 2 the fuckers should be overjoyed(and a space game isn't all that demanding in terms of resources needed for it's development compared to a AAA FPS with all the scripted crap and texturing, locations etc.) so that would further make the margins of profit better to the point where it would be the equivalent of selling 4 million of a FPS.

You can make profit with any kind of game. But will you buy 2 ferraris with it?

Too fucking true. Idiots don't realise though that there is an increase in development cost in such a Saints Row or DOW style game along with the whole advertising onslaught that goes with it that actually makes a diminishing return on any profits. In the end, selling a million copies of Freespace 3 would make a similar amount of money as selling 3 million of a more expensive and more heavily advertised game yet they don't see this.

Achilles

Arcane
I think they see it. It's just that they prefer to go with the big-budget games on the off chance that they strike gold and get a mega-hit on their hands.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I know you guys like to use hyperbole much, but that trailer looks like shit. Freespace 2 hasn't aged well, at all...

Santander02

Arcane
I'd argue it has aged very well, especially gameplay wise, (wich the source code project team left intact, its just a graphics, ui and compatibilty improvement mod) and graphics wise, it's just that trailer that makes it look bad, there are better FS2 open videos out there

RScreen0023.jpg

More screenchots here http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Screenshots

And here's a trailer that show some gameplay (even though it is from an old version of FS2 open)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7b8Vx3AlPA

circ

Arcane
That doesn't look good. Looks like Freelancer, an almost 10 year old game. Also, the FPS in the videos I've seen has been horrendous, so I have to wonder what kind of shitty 486 hardware they're running it on.

Santander02

Arcane
It does look better than the original at least, Freespace was released in 98, and FS2 wich was released in 99 uses the same engine. Freelancer is a 2003 game.
Sdlucifer-old.jpg

I imagine there is not so much they can do with such an old engine

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom