Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Freezing in Nameless One's Tomb

Rhett Butler

Scholar
What the title says, everytime I enter the NO's tomb PST freezes and I have to shut down. I've installed Platter's Patch but it didn't fix the problem, are there any other patches out there I should try? I use the two CD version.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Put on a warm coat and try lighting a fire for extra heat.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I have had this problem as well on my Vista.

When I encountered this, I copied my save file to a USB port, took my copy of Torment to my cousin's place, and played it on his old XP computer. Worked wonderfully.

Your computer is too new, maybe.

Lumpy

Arcane
Rhett Butler said:
What the title says, everytime I enter the NO's tomb PST freezes and I have to shut down. I've installed Platter's Patch but it didn't fix the problem, are there any other patches out there I should try? I use the two CD version.
Does it happen immediately as you enter, or when you should be hit by lightning? In any case, try turning off Hardware Acceleration for graphics. It might help.

Rhett Butler

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
I have had this problem as well on my Vista.

When I encountered this, I copied my save file to a USB port, took my copy of Torment to my cousin's place, and played it on his old XP computer. Worked wonderfully.

Your computer is too new, maybe.

I run XP.

Does it happen immediately as you enter, or when you should be hit by lightning? In any case, try turning off Hardware Acceleration for graphics. It might help.

Well the NO doesn't appear to be being hit by lightning when it freezes, but I'll try that.

Edit: Spell effects are look pretty fucked now, but it's not freezing any more. Thanks.

Put on a warm coat and try lighting a fire for extra heat.

All I have is a loincloth, but I'll look for something to make a fire with. If worst comes to worst I'll burn my loincloth.

roshan

Arcane
Theres a cache directory in your PST install directory. Delete all files in the cache directory and you should be able to enter with no problems.

MetalCraze

Arcane
as the last resort - uninstall vcard drivers - make your way past that place (teh totally software mode) - reinstall vcard drivers.
oh and btw is your vcard - GeForce? if yes - what drivers are you using? IE tries to run in OpenGL mode when it finds a vcard - and all NVidia drivers are VERY VERY fucked up in this department since 1xx.xx version

Lumpy

Arcane
Rhett Butler said:
Edit: Spell effects are look pretty fucked now, but it's not freezing any more. Thanks.
Strange. Turning off HA usually fixes spells, at the expense of a fucked up cursor.

Thrasher

Erudite
To get the NOT fucked up cursor, turn down HA only 2 or so notches rather than more than that.... That also fixes the spell animation freezing....

Rhett Butler

Scholar
Don't worry about it guys, my spells all looking like big white squares doesn't bother me even slightly. It's not a game breaking problem, in fact I barely consider it a problem. The freezing is fixed and I'm just about to head to the painted door. First playthrough btw, and I am very impressed so far. Codex hype about this game actually seems like an understatement to me.

MetalCraze

Arcane
software mode is your only 100% working saviour from all graphic glitches

Codex hype about this game actually seems like an understatement to me.

too bad this was the only fully ultimate victory by BIS (and Obsidian as their heirs). and I'm so jealous that you're completing it for the first time. there will be nothing like what you have now on the second or ever.
it is the game you will wholeheartedly wish to forget. just to be able to complete it again from the zero point.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rhett Butler said:

That was my first impression of the game, too. And especially the ending. Damnit, the ending. The ending alone is worth playing through the whole game just because it's so awesome. Best RPG I've ever played. Actually, best game from each and every genre I've ever played.

I feel like skyway there, I really want to forget all about it just to be able to experience it for the first time again. Oh, and the music is awesome.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I hear there's a pack which adds in some more quests including one known as Pendant Of Yemeth. Anybody tried it?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
AnnahPST.jpg

roshan

Arcane
Rhett Butler said:
Don't worry about it guys, my spells all looking like big white squares doesn't bother me even slightly. It's not a game breaking problem, in fact I barely consider it a problem. The freezing is fixed and I'm just about to head to the painted door. First playthrough btw, and I am very impressed so far.

Thats too bad, because the spell effects are awesome...

I agree, PST is pretty underrated here at the Codex. Lots of nuts here actually claim that MOTB was a better RPG.

Dark Matter

Prophet
roshan said:
I agree, PST is pretty underrated here at the Codex. Lots of nuts here actually claim that MOTB was a better RPG.
PST is the most overrated game at the Codex, along with the Witcher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom