Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Front Page "Recent News" Layout

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
With regards to the slab of text that is the "Recent News" on the front page. Well, I mucked around with it myself a bit and came up with this potential layout for that area.
http://users.senet.com.au/~dbschah/test/rpgcodex.htm

The only thing you're really looking at is the "Recent News" layout. The rest is just muck around, but with no major changes.

Anybody like / dislike my suggested improvement?¹

¹Like it or die.

Spazmo

Erudite
I like it very much. Separating the news items by date makes a lot of sense. I think that the news and features columns should still be on different sides of the page, though.

Anyways, REX! Get to work!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I like it a lot as the current slab of text is unreadable, while your layout stands out and is extremely convinient. Can you fit the active threads thing in?

Edit:
Spazmo said:
Anyways, REX! Get to work!
Yes, get to work, Rex, and while you are at it, don't forget to add the review forum :lol:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I also like your design of the front page. It would be a little bit more convenient for people who were away for some time.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'll get to work on it right away.

As for the forums, I'm doing a rework on the design - but the review forum might not be in our best interests right now (as Saint said in another thread) so that's something we'll all have to discuss later.

If I have a suggestion of my own to make - it's for the forums to have a quickreply thing like Duckandcover does.

Dan

Liturgist
I like that news bar... It's much easier to read now.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Slight alteration to the original design.
http://users.senet.com.au/~dbschah/test/rpgcodex2.htm

Each news item now has a little arrow graphic next to it. A white arrow means that news item is old, a red arrow indicates that that particular news item is new. IE: The last time you visited the site, that news item wasn't there.

Calis

Pensionado
Done, though the red arrow for 'new' items is a fairly major change and I'm not gonna do that just now. Maybe later, no guarantees.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Damn that front page looks nicer than I thought it would. Love it Calis.

I also like the new divider Rex, it has a more techy feel. What about adding a yellow dot to your current white one though? It's just an idea to make things stand out more clearly.

Psilon

Erudite
Well, I do like the new look, but there is a bug in the date dividers on Opera 7. There's no line break between the horizontal line and the date, so everything looks like "------------S". Other than that, it's great.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
... and here's my final version.
http://users.senet.com.au/~dbschah/test/rpgcodex5.htm

Out of all of this, I've learnt that I have no real photoshop skills. But, to combat the boredom of having the same banner up the top, I'd suggest you run a competition. Let anyone make an RPG Codex banner. All the good/decent entries can be uploaded to the site. Then you just need a bit of code that randomly picks a banner to display each time you visit. Each time you visit, it randomly displays one of the banners available, so you don't get the same one all the time.

To reduce the clutter of links up the top (as 6 of them dealt with the same thing, mainly content) I moved them around and cut a majority of them out. As a result, there are now 7 key links at the top, those being what I feel are the most important ones. See if you can't find the new link to the News Archive. It shouldn't be too hard to find (if it is, then I'd recommend you don't move it as seen in my design).

news | archive | submit | editorials | reviews | previews | interviews | articles | content search | forums | irc chat | links | staff

... versus ...

news | submit | content search | gallery | forums | about | links

As a result, the main article link is now 'content search' which I think is better than linking to them all indivudally. You might want to upgrade the listcontent.php search page to make it clearer. At the moment, I found it a bit confusing to navigate and find what I was after. I think making the content search function a lot clearer and easier to use will be more beneficial than having 13 links up the top of the site, in order to cater for the 6 different types of content. This would also be another code change for Calis. I'll need to have a proper look at the page again before I can come up with any ideas about what to specifically do to make it easier.

EDIT: Nope, page looks fine I think. Scrap that.

As before, the red tabs indicate NEW items, items that have appeared since the user last logged in. I realise this is still a code change for Calis to do, but the idea and graphics are there if/when he gets the chance. (That newsline.gif isn't meant to look pink either, if it looks like that to you. Supposed to be a grey/white colour. Those arrows are also supposed to be better lined up too. Meh.)

Note that I've only coded the first two days of news into tables. That's because I'm hard-coding these changes in HTML, not in php, so I have to manually make every table (well, copy & paste). I think the two days of news I've done give you enough of an idea for the news layout. It actually gives you a good comparison guide to the changes. Scroll through the old and then the new layout, then tell me which is easier to read and which stands out better.

I played around with adding some kind of graphic behind the news as well, but couldn't come up with anything that I felt worked properly. I'm sure that if Rex feels like it, he'll be able to come up with something.

The Gallery link is for that secret gallery of screenshots that I know you're hiding. :) I think an interface in there allowing you to choose a game, then view the screenshots for that game, would be 'A Good Thing to Add(TM)'.

The 'about' link I suggest, links to a new replacement section for the staff link. In that section will be a 'mission goal' for the site (in whatever form it's decided to be put) as well as the staff section. I'd also recommend putting the IRC channel info in there as well.

Finally, the most important part of it all is right down the bottom of the page in the footer text. :)

Me hope you like.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I think that if there's anything from your interface that we should implement on the main site, it's the HUGE NEWS TITLES thing. Calis?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom