Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck Dragon Age 3, this thread is now about RPG stat systems

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Mrowak and Infinitron: You're both retarded ( :troll: ). D&D 3.5 is infinitely more complex and better made than DA:O's system. But first off, BG2 is AD&D, an retarded, arbitrary and needlessly complex system on many counts. Needlessly complex in that it is actually not that complex but most of the complexity that is there wouldn't be necessary to achieve what the system achieves. It is certainly way, waaaaaay less functional than DA:O's. Neither are great systems, but we've had spades and spades of great RPGs with shitty systems. At DA:O's system has differantiation, something to do with your level-ups, and an actual role for non-casters. BG2 is also better than DA:O on every count, but again, this does not make DA:O bad. DA:O is a good game for all the reasons Mrowak has recounted.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I cannot say if it's really a overall a better game than IE originals

:hmmm:

Ookay. How long has it been since you've played them?

Let put it this way. I think that BG2 is a better game, especially with all the mods installed. But, DA:O was a good attempt. It didn't quite reach that level, but that just happens. It's still a solid product. I think that it is vastly superior to BG1.

Bulba

Learned
To be honest, what you described sounds a lot like NWN2.

Fuck NWN2 - stop comparing shit to it. Icewind Dale 2 and the other Infinity Engine games are what's one my mind. You know, what DA:O was supposed to be a spiritual successor to? (lol)

I have a question for you:

In what way OTHER THAN THE CAMERA (stop fucking complaining about it) is NWN2 inferior to the IE games?
I think you underestimate the importance of camera... also you get a smaller party with terrible constrols over them and I liked previous d&d rules a lot more.
other shit can include cutscences, voiceovers, ugly graphics, pixel acting (2nd only)...
in my most humble opinion both nwn were vastly inferior to inf engine games.(second one was better than 1st through)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mrowak and Infinitron: You're both retarded ( :smug: ). D&D 3.5 is infinitely more complex and better made than DA:O's system. But first off, BG2 is AD&D, an infinitely retarded system on many counts, and certainly way, waaaaaay less functional than DA:O's. Neither are great systems, but we've had spades and spades of great RPGs with shitty systems. At DA:O's system has differantiation, something to do with your level-ups, and an actual role for non-casters.

I agree and disagree. The AD&D 2E games' strength is not in character building, but in providing a variety of interesting challenges. Damage-resistant golems, mages with various spell loadouts, level-draining undead. Again, you don't have this kind of variety in modern games.

So in AD&D, your characters might be boring, but the stuff they get to do is not boring.

Mrowak

Arcane
Mrowak and Infinitron: You're both retarded ( :smug: ). D&D 3.5 is infinitely more complex and better made than DA:O's system. But first off, BG2 is AD&D, an infinitely retarded system on many counts, and certainly way, waaaaaay less functional than DA:O's. Neither are great systems, but we've had spades and spades of great RPGs with shitty systems. At DA:O's system has differantiation, something to do with your level-ups, and an actual role for non-casters.

Which is exactly what I meant when I said that the system in DA:O is simply tailored for the game format. Thanks for putting it that way.

However, no brofist for calling me a retard. :rpgcodex: ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Give me time to edit my post, bastards. I did that now. So:

Which is exactly what I meant when I said that the system in DA:O is simply tailored for the game format.

No it isn't, fuck you. 3.5 has differantiation, Pathfinder has even more and hell, 4th edition if that's where you want to go. DA:O was simply a very simple, superficial system that was better designed than AD&D. Stop this "designed for the game format" bullshit, it has wreaked enough havoc upon the genre, thank you very much. System design is best left to system designers. Not video game developers.

Homebrew systems from video game developers is one of the biggest problems with the genre today.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I agree and disagree. The AD&D 2E games' strength is not in character building, but in providing a variety of interesting challenges. Damage-resistant golems, mages with various spell loadouts, level-draining undead. Again, you don't have this kind of variety in modern games.

So in AD&D, your characters might be boring, but the stuff they get to do is not boring.

Bullshit on both accounts, frankly:

1) If what you said was true, AD&D could have achieved these challenges without being so fucking arbitrary and convoluted.

2) Character customization is a fucking pillar of cRPG design - a system without it has a weakness.

:)

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Gonna breach my DA3 NDA here to show you one screen that perfectly captures the spirit of this game:

jzKVx.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

1) If what you said was true, AD&D could have achieved these challenges without being so fucking arbitrary and convoluted.

Perhaps.

2) Character customization is a fucking pillar of cRPG design - a system without it has a weakness.

Maybe. I personally don't find it to be such a big deal if the game compensates in other areas. Also, I think having relatively simple characters can be an advantage in some cases, since it focuses the game on higher-level party tactics rather than on USING DA BEST ABILITIEZ.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Perhaps.

Maybe. I personally don't find it to be such a big deal if the game compensates in other areas. Also, I think having relatively simple characters can be an advantage in some cases, since it focuses the game on higher-level party tactics rather than on USING DA BEST ABILITIEZ.

As much as I bloody love Baldur's Gate, USING DA BEST ABILITIEZ is essentially what that game is mostly about, except in specific, very well-designed encounters. But that's encounter-design, not a trait of the system.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Which is exactly what I meant when I said that the system in DA:O is simply tailored for the game format.

No it isn't, fuck you. 3.5 has differantiation, Pathfinder has even more and hell, 4th edition if that's where you want to go. DA:O was simply a very simple, superficial system that was better designed than AD&D. Stop this "designed for the game format" bullshit, it has wreaked enough havoc upon the genre, thank you very much. System design is best left to system designers. Not video game developers.

Homebrew systems from video game developers is one of the biggest problems with the genre today.

Let me extend this:

DnD is retarded no matter how you cut it

Except that is the complete opposite of my point.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
As much as I bloody love Baldur's Gate, USING DA BEST ABILITIEZ is essentially what that game is mostly about, except in specific, very well-designed encounters. But that's encounter-design, not a trait of the system.

OK. I'm not a PnP guy so I tend not to think of the systems in isolation from the games they're in. I would agree that AD&D has the potential to be very samey and boring, moreso than DA:O. (I'll bet there are even games from the early 90's where it is - unfortunately my experience from this period is limited)

Captain Shrek

No. It is a natural extension:

Character system of DA:O < ADnD < DnD 3 / 3.5< Pathfinder

I am extending this to claim that all of them are shit. Let me give you a quick preview:

They all focus on vertical growth than horizontal growth; i.e. You become cheesier as you "level up". Encounters at lower level make no sense after a while etc.

Bulba

Learned

I am extending this to claim that all of them are shit. Let me give you a quick preview:

They all focus on vertical growth than horizontal growth; i.e. You become cheesier as you "level up". Encounters at lower level make no sense after a while etc.

there should be some vertical progression in the rpg or it will become h&s game with adventure elements.

Captain Shrek

there should be some vertical progression in the rpg or it will become h&s game with adventure elements.

Agreed. Some and not too much.

Mrowak

Arcane

It's not bullshit, it's a fact. System is only good as long as it supports gameplay in the given. Ready rulesets are and easy to implement because it's and available solution. However in PnP format it is common that rules are bent whereas in cRPGs they are not flexible, so they require much more balancing. Balancing this out is a pain and causes all manners of nonsense, such as stat-bloat. In PnP you have a GM to smooth out the setting consistency, in cRPG you get all kinds of stupid shit.

Not to mention that whereas in PnP you can be sure that GM will make your build useful, in cRPGs it is the player's job to guess somehow what abilities and stats are truly important. In extreme cases you can end up with Realms of Arkania, where loads of stats were simply useless, but how the player could tell that when he started the game?

Having said that, I am all for transcribing proved elements of PnP systems, provided that they are put in context. For instance, I love Vancian magic system, but I have yet to see its working implementation in cRPGs, as the very nature of the video game demolishes it. That's why a workararound is needed, and I wouldn't go against e.g. Obisdian's attempt to fix it in P:E, provided that they know what they are doing.

Generally I agree that there should be a postion of a system designer within the development team. His work should focus around the nature of the medium and be all about system that would facilitate fun gameplay (e.g. truly tactical combat) and rule out any common sense exploits no sane GM would allow.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:shakes head:

You don't know much about system design, eh, Shrek? Vertical design has some clear advantages over horizontal design. Namely that the progression is clear and the sense of structure and power is rewarding.

There is a time and a place for everything. I'm a huge GURPS fanboy, and it has a fairly horizontal progression. But both can work well. Saying that one is strictly better ignores all disadvantages and advantages of both.

It's fairly obvious you haven't played much with systems besides on the computer by the way. Saying Pathfinder is shit is straight out retarded. It is the result of more than 15 years of trying to make the perfect system for a very specific play-style, and it succeeds almost to an A+.

Captain Shrek

:shakes head:

You don't know much about system design, eh, Shrek? Vertical design has some clear advantages over horizontal design. Namely that the progression is clear and the sense of structure and power is rewarding.

Sure. Especially if one is dumb enough not to realize the alternatives.

There is a time and a place for everything. I'm a huge GURPS fanboy, and it has a fairly horizontal progression. But both can work well. Saying that one is strictly better ignores all disadvantages and advantages of both.

Not much into GURPS. Never played PnP much. Just played Birthright campaign with an entirely rewritten system (not DnD).

It's fairly obvious you haven't played much with systems besides on the computer by the way. Saying Pathfinder is shit is straight out retarded. It is the result of more than 15 years of trying to make the perfect system for a very specific play-style, and it succeeds almost to an A+.

For cRPGs yes. PnPs depends on the GM. The system is shit but the rest are even shittier.

Full argument: read the essay later.

attackfighter

Magister
Nothing a patch or two or a goddamn sequel could not fix. It was the matter of just tinkering with the numbers. I played on Hard and Nightmare and I do not really remember kiting. I vividly recall there were too many enemies to kite and you could not really ignore them. Dragon Age: Origins even used character positioning as a factor, which discouraged kiting... in most cases. The only ability I found really overpowered was Cone of Cold spell. If you have three mages the whole battlefield is full of ice statues in next to no time.

I found myself kiting particularly strong enemies on a few occasions. The ogre in the tower at Ostagar for instance is a good candidate for kiting. Same with the bounty hunting duel wielder at the start entrance to the Dwarf place.

Name an RPG that had significantly better AI - RTwP or otherwise. Besides my experience is opposite to yours. Both mages and archers are *deadly* whichever side they are on. That the fuckers can snipe you from 3 screens away annoyed me to no end. I know, this calls for improved interface! And we will improve it by not allowing the player to pan the camera at all so he cannot control his characters easily!

I found enemy mages to be shit, since I wasn't constrained by an aggro mechanic and so could target enemies based on practical concerns. Any RPG in which the AI does the same (targets based on threat level or something) is going to be better than DA:O's aggro AI, since aggro is in many ways totally arbitrary. For instance wearing heavy armour increases aggro, which in counter productive for the AI since rationally they'd want to be attacking characters wearing light or no armour.

Funny thing, I started DA 1 to compare its gameplay to NWN2: SoZ. DA:O won - it was no contest. I am telling you that because this flaw is quite common in every RPG in existence. Do you remember Cloudkill spell from BG2? Or Horrid Withering? Or timestop? Or all sorts of epic spells which were simply no-brainer and you spammed them just because? DA:O actually attempts to alleviate the effectiveness of one tactic and succeeds in many respects. What it really needed was removing level-scalling and tinkering with numbers to dampen the efficiency of too powerful abilities with short cooldowns. To my mind it would be also great if they shot for asymetric balance - making classes excellent at different roles, so that having 3 mages in your party wouldn't be win in every circumstances.

Another funny thing is that I also recently played NWN2 and ended up quitting part way through, same as with Dragon Age. These new shit party based RPG's are shit I tell ya. Anyway, all I have to add to your quote is that while Horrid Wilting and Timestop were quite unfun in the hands of a player, they did make for some interesting battles when the AI used them. Also in in Shadows of Amn the level cap prevents you from memorizing them, so you only have a limited number of uses due to scrolls, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It's not bullshit, it's a fact. System is only good as long as it supports gameplay in the given. Ready rulesets are and easy to implement because it's and available solution. However in PnP format it is common that rules are bent whereas in cRPGs they are not flexible, so they require much more balancing.

Let me make this clear with a simple point: It is not the cRPG or the table around which the players sit that needs to be flexible, it is the fucking system. And most P&P systems are. Fit the system to the cRPG. Don't make a new, shitty one.

System is only good as long as it supports gameplay in the given.

This is plain wrong. In cRPGs it's the other fucking way around mostly. The greatest cRPGs were built because they based their gameplay on proven systems. The cRPGs that have failed the most have invented gameplay-mechanics and then a system, finding out how shitty and simplistic their mechanics and their system was once they went together. Complex gameplay mechanics develop because the good systems require them.

You show me a game developer - not just a video game one - that can think up complex mechanics and then design a specific system. The fact is, you start with basic gameplay designs, then you work out your system, and while doing exactly that - working out your system - you get the opportunity to increase the complexity of both system and mechanics. Finalising every gameplay mechanic in a cRPG without a system is completely abstract, it would be almost impossible.

The system should support your gameplay vision. The actual gameplay is just the way the system tries to turn this vision into practice.

This is exactly why I puke every time I hear Sawyer talking about PE's system design. "Hey Sawyer, do you want opportunity attacks!" "Yeah man, we'll find a way to fit them into the system!" "What about cooldowns!" "Sure man, sounds great!"

He's making all these decisions about gameplay, without having any sort of framework that can handle them. Then finally his idea is to throw all these gameplay decisions into a bucket, shake them and say: "THAT'S OUR SYSTEM!"

What a load of crap. Systems are tailor-made, streamlined entities where all ends tie into a whole. Not a series of gameplay-decisions knitted into random bunch of strings.

Balancing this out is a pain and causes all manners of nonsense, such as stat-bloat. In PnP you have a GM to smooth out the setting consistency, in cRPG you get all kinds of stupid shit.

No you don't. You mostly only have truely stupid shit in the cRPGs based upon Game Developers Own System. Seriously. Take a look at the cRPGs. The most unbalanced ones are games with made-up systems. In fact, of the Holy Codex Trinity, two games have down-right shitty balance with tons of useless and overpowered crap (Fallout and Arcanum) and one is fairly balanced (Baldur's Gate 2). Two of these have made up systems constructed by whatever video game developer put on the Happy-Hat that day, the other had a professionally designed system.

The fact that BG2's shitty implementation of a shitty system is sooooooo muuuuuuuuuuuuch better than two of our favourite video game developer made ones speak volumes about the advantages of proven systems made by professional system designers.

Not to mention that whereas in PnP you can be sure that GM will make your build useful, in cRPGs it is the player's job to guess somehow what abilities and stats are truly important

If you have a GM that "makes your build useful" you are a very shitty player and he is a very shitty GM. The GM sets the challenge and you use your choices to cope with them. He doesn't tailor-make the challenges to you because you thought 20 skill-points in grenades for your security specialist was a fantastic idea.

. In extreme cases you can end up with Realms of Arkania, where loads of stats were simply useless, but how the player could tell that when he started the game?

OK. I will admit that The Dark Eye is a pretty bad system :smug:

No, but seriously, RTFM and deal with it. It's a unavoidable requirement that for you to have freedom in your build and for you to be able to improve in using the system, the chance to crash and burn must be real. Evaluate the system, read the handbook, make your best calls.

Generally I agree that there should be a postion of a system designer within the development team.

I agree. His focus should be customizing whatever proven, laid-out system the developers chose to use to a cRPG environment.

Mrowak

Arcane
The cRPGs that have failed the most have invented gameplay-mechanics and then a system, finding out how shitty and simplistic their mechanics and their system was once they went together. Complex gameplay mechanics develop because the good systems require them.

You show me a game developer - not just a video game one - that can think up complex mechanics and then design a specific system. The fact is, you start with basic gameplay designs, then you work out your system, and while doing exactly that - working out your system - you get the opportunity to increase the complexity of both system and mechanics. Finalising every gameplay mechanic in a cRPG without a system is completely abstract, it would be almost impossible.

The system should support your gameplay vision. The actual gameplay is just the way the system tries to turn this vision into practice.

I think we simply use different nomenclature here. To me systems is the mechanics. A good system is such that puts all those mechanics into good use creating fun experience - this is its overriding objective and nothing else matters. I agree that designers should think first about the larger picture. However, before we can start working on it we need a set of premises - basic gameplay design or gameplay vision as you call it. (e.g. my system will allow mounted combat). It cannot be created in the void because it would a system for the system's sake - in such cases there's little gameplay. It does happen (I really have the impression that it happened in case of AoD).

This is exactly why I puke every time I hear Sawyer talking about PE's system design. "Hey Sawyer, do you want opportunity attacks!" "Yeah man, we'll find a way to fit them into the system!" "What about cooldowns!" "Sure man, sounds great!"

He's making all these decisions about gameplay, without having any sort of framework that can handle them. Then finally his idea is to throw all these gameplay decisions into a bucket, shake them and say: "THAT'S OUR SYSTEM!"

What a load of crap. Systems are tailor-made, streamlined entities where all ends tie into a whole. Not a series of gameplay-decisions knitted into random bunch of strings.

So we are in agreement again. That was me whining about the plan Sawyer does not have. Dropping names and saying "our system will have this and that and that" won't work, because now you will have to create a system around the promises and not promises upon the system... which will be a cluserfuck. Using analogy, it is tantamount to building a house on a swamp instead of hard soil and later having to do all sorts of magic so that it doesn't fall apart - which will make it look fugly and not very accommodating.

However, notice here that Obsidian can produce a clusterfuck with a ready-made system (D&D 3.5), whereas Bioware made a very focused effort with the system of their own. Hmm... I guess one party could into planning.

You argument is: why make game-systems when you have ready PnP solutions available?

My argument is: you can make a system tailored for the gameplay from the scratch.

The fact is there will always be some tailoring necessary, whetehr you use ready system and make one out of nothing. I am all for adopting existing systems provided that devs do not fuck around and make necessary changes which would facilitate fun gameplay. Leaving something in because "duh, it's what system tells us" is just dumb.

No you don't. You mostly only have truely stupid shit in the cRPGs based upon Game Developers Own System. Seriously. Take a look at the cRPGs. The most unbalanced ones are games with made-up systems. In fact, of the Holy Codex Trinity, two games have down-right shitty balance with tons of useless and overpowered crap (Fallout and Arcanum) and one is fairly balanced (Baldur's Gate 2). Two of these have made up systems constructed by whatever video game developer put on the Happy-Hat that day, the other had a professionally designed system.

I agree. That was me saying that I value focused efforts at least at the same level as ambitious, experimentative failures. That's why early planning is essential. This does not apply only to game mechanics but all facets. Look at Thief games for instance. There even art direction and sound effects play an important role. The difference is Thief uses its own system. Sure it is not a pure-breed RPG, but it also proves that in order to be really innovative you need to think out of the box and avoid templates.

The fact that BG2's shitty implementation of a shitty system is sooooooo muuuuuuuuuuuuch better than two of our favourite video game developer made ones speak volumes about the advantages of proven systems made by professional system designers.

They are not my favourites. ;)

If you have a GM that "makes your build useful" you are a very shitty player and he is a very shitty GM. The GM sets the challenge and you use your choices to cope with them. He doesn't tailor-make the challenges to you because you thought 20 skill-points in grenades for your security specialist was a fantastic idea.

Yes it is GM, but his task is also to provide solutions to them that are achieveable to players. Imagine a scenario when while playing D&D GM sends a 15th level dragon on a 2nd level party. An extreme and obvious example. Let's use a more subtle one.

Imagine you play as a charismatic wealthy merchant, who has his way around people and have made many powerful allies, but is rather wimpy and would have hard time fighting 1 opponent, let alone 5. He is ordered to go from city A to city B. He went on his own. Suddenly he is ambushed by 5 experienced bandits who gut his insides. Was the GM unfair? It depends - maybe there was a way for the player to avoid his demise? How could he accomplish it?

By not acting stupid. He should have used his wealth and influence to hire escort. He should have gone together with an armed caravan. All these options are available only if GM allows them. If he didn't it means he is hell-bent on being a dick - the dice was loaded from the start, and thus there is no gameplay. This reveals the basic problem with cRPG balance. cRPG can refuse an option by simply not featuring it. The example I gave you comes from AoD where one failed skill-check rendered my build unplayable - I could not progress because the game did not allow a normal common-sense solution any GM would permit.

. In extreme cases you can end up with Realms of Arkania, where loads of stats were simply useless, but how the player could tell that when he started the game?

OK. I will admit that The Dark Eye is a pretty bad system :smug:

It was not the problem of the Dark Eye system, but its amatourish implementation in a cRPG. There were loads of stats, but most of them were useless - they have no bearing on gameplay. They could bye useful in PnP scenarios, but the game did not feature them (enough). The problem is, how the player is supposed to know which skills are essential, which are just for flavour, and which are pointless?

No, but seriously, RTFM and deal with it. It's a unavoidable requirement that for you to have freedom in your build and for you to be able to improve in using the system, the chance to crash and burn must be real. Evaluate the system, read the handbook, make your best calls.

And what if the player invests shitloads of points in mountaineering only to realise much later on that there are no mountains in the game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

What the fuck do you want? What's wrong with a list of requirements? He has to start from somewhere.

If only he had a magical "plan" to make it all better. THE PLAN SAVES ALL! WORSHIP THE PLAN!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
However, notice here that Obsidian can produce a clusterfuck with a ready-made system (D&D 3.5), whereas Bioware made a very focused effort with the system of their own. Hmm... I guess one party could into planning.

Yes, just like they planned the Mass Effect trilogy storyline and the mighty WoW-killing SWTOR. :thumbsup: Bioware are truly geniuses of their field, not like the poorly managed, always overshooting Obsidian.

Mrowak

Arcane

Yes, just like they planned the Mass Effect trilogy storyline and the mighty WoW-killing SWTOR. :thumbsup: Bioware are truly geniuses of their field, not like the poorly managed, always overshooting Obsidian.

Strawman argument. A (Dragon Age) has little to do with B and C (Mass Effect ans SWTOR). The fact of the matter is Dragon Age is a well-made game. That Mass Effect and TOR are not is meaningless (because there can be thousands of reasons why they could not into planning - e.g. EA). How did they achieve the success with the first title? By being focused. Why did they fuck up Mass Effect and DA2? Because they lacked focus and proper planning. Let me remind you that the whole argument is based on the question: How can this be Dragon Age: Origins is better than Dragon Age 2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom