Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fucking ToEE, how does it work

Whats the deal with save corruption any way? For some reason down on dungeon level 3 any time I will attempt to save it will become corrupted, works fine any where else though. Odd.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Don't quicksave, like, ever. Supposedly just using a save that was further down the line a quicksave could lead to corrupted files.

NewFag

Educated
After taking a break the last few days, I'm going to try and finish up the game today and tomorrow. On dungeon level 4 myself as well. Because of some early game quick save (delete those files ASAP) my game is pretty much corrupted, but I still found a way to continue, although it's extremely tedious. (If you save after every single transition, and load immediately after, saves don't seem to corrupt.)

Phelot

Arcane
Tell me. Co8 vs. Vanilla. I want to get get this game.

As others have said, Co8, but I'm going to assume you mean NC vs. vanilla in which case, I'd probably say stick to vanilla first time through, but make sure you play at least with the Co8 vanilla bug patch.

I've never encountered the legendary Cloud's sword with Co8 7 and I'm half through dungeon 4

AFAIK it was removed a few patches back. You can get it via console.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So that's what it is then. I'm glad they removed it after all.

Whats the deal with save corruption any way? For some reason down on dungeon level 3 any time I will attempt to save it will become corrupted, works fine any where else though. Odd.

Don't use quicksaves. Turn off autosave. Load from an earlier save before you've noticed the corruption.
I had the game crashing during fights until I turned off auto-save

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Quick question,

I played Vanilla twice. The first time I soloed a druid, killed everyone in Homlet, and was stuck? couldn't leave town since I failed to open up new parts of the map. Funny shit though. The second playthrough I soloed a rogue(charisma build), and ended up defeating St.Cuthbert, albiet thru save/load bulshitery. In the rogue playthrough, I also made a mage specifically to craft wands, but other than grinding his levels, he stayed out of my party. In this case I guess it wasn't a true solo effort, but goddamn was I a badass! I had unlimited spells, dual wielded both artifact bastard swords, and had constant sneak attack. It was magnificent! So my question is, should I play Co8? I mean I soloed a God in vanilla. Is the new content good enough to justify another playthrough? Tbh, I actually enjoyed the boring Homlet quests, but maybe it's cause I was evil and didn't give a fuck...

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Yeah, there's at least one fight that would top St. Cuthbert/Iuz, especially as a solo character.

I don't know what you qualify as save/load bullshittery, but it was the one fight of the game where I actually reloaded on death and walked away until my party had gained a level or two.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Quick question,

I played Vanilla twice. The first time I soloed a druid, killed everyone in Homlet, and was stuck? couldn't leave town since I failed to open up new parts of the map. Funny shit though. The second playthrough I soloed a rogue(charisma build), and ended up defeating St.Cuthbert, albiet thru save/load bulshitery. In the rogue playthrough, I also made a mage specifically to craft wands, but other than grinding his levels, he stayed out of my party. In this case I guess it wasn't a true solo effort, but goddamn was I a badass! I had unlimited spells, dual wielded both artifact bastard swords, and had constant sneak attack. It was magnificent! So my question is, should I play Co8? I mean I soloed a God in vanilla. Is the new content good enough to justify another playthrough? Tbh, I actually enjoyed the boring Homlet quests, but maybe it's cause I was evil and didn't give a fuck...
Actually, you should kill yourself.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
"Soloing" a party-based game is the epitome of stupidity, IMO. Killing everyone in Hommlet is exceedingly retarded, even if just to "see if you can do it". A CHA-based rogue? How is that even possible? What skills did you utilize as a rogue that had anything to do with CHA? Crafting wands? For a rogue? I can see that for a solo playthrough, but still. Dual-wielding bastard swords? Ugh. Constant sneak attack? Wow. Cheese-galore. Munchkinism run amok. You killed St. Cuthbert? Why?

Now you want to play it normally, I assume.

Dude. Do I even have to explain?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I guess. It's not meant to be a possibility, but sometimes testing the edges of a program's capabilities can be amusing.

This may be quaint to mention, but in a PnP session Cuthbert would merely laugh and wipe out the entire party (or sole petulant thief) with a wave of his hand. Similarly, Iuz the Old would teleport all party members and their families to the lowest depths of the Abyss to be tortured for eternity. No save. Reroll.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, I like soloing party games if possible. I was evil, so why wouldn't I kill that bastard and his broken 20 attacks/ round. Fuck him. He should have dealt with that temple personally if he didn't like it. I love multiplayer based strategies, don't get me wrong, but I wanted to prove that my 3rd edition d&d skills were better than Troikas. Cha based rogues in 3ed are extremely unbalanced since they have super high conversation skills, bluff, and can use any magic item(even like a paladin). Know your game mechanics son! Figuring out how to get both bastard sword artifacts and dual wield them without the proficiency felt damn good. I fucked that game up the ass so hard that lawful good deities everywhere felt raped! HAHAHAHA!
:bro:

On the other hand, playing like this in a PnP campaign was very problematic for some reason...:roll:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm a conservative right-winger and you're a liberal hippie when it comes to CRPG's, then. We must coexist.

But I don't like it. You have the right to play the game any way you like, but it raises my cackles.

Put it this way: If I were your DM, I'd show you the front door, take no pizza with you. You may not care, but you'd never be welcome again if that's your gameplaying mindset.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Cha Rogue was the most powerful class in game as long as the DM followed the rules. Otherwise, it was the druid. I killed party members multiple times to the point of rl fisticuffs until they took the class my character told them to. In 3rd, characters lost a level when they died, so if a player chose poorly a good character could kill them until they chose a more optimum class. Its a flaw of the system, but I had to exploit it since the dm was a bastard(and a rl attorney) so there was nothing else for it. basically I had to make sure I was powerful enough to kill everyone else for taking sub optimal builds or face death myself. That isn't poor playing, it's preservation. Also it's piss poor game design. 3/? allowed this to happen. You might question my DM but he is a hell of a storyteller, so any bs I put up with was well worth it...

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Wait. So you're telling me you preyed upon your own party members? In a cooperative, rl PnP session, and you made this habitual?

Seriously, are you retarded or suffering from some serious psychological disorder?

I just re-read and reabsorbed your post, and I understand a little better. Still, that's very bizzare and sounds like an utter waste of time. You actually got into fights with your friends over it. Don't you see how ridiculous that sounds?

Oh, and your attorney DM had no business being a DM.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
He's the best storyteller I've ever seen and he had a nice place for us to play back in high school. I've been physically attacked multiple times by this group, but I don't care, They're my best friends in the world and I have a very high tolerance for violence. Keep in mind this shit last erupted over 11 years ago, and I'm quite the loser compared to those fuckers(resteraunt owners, fighter pilots, lawyers, and guidance councelors) I'll always be the best at D&D though! :lol: That makes all the difference, but at the end of the day, I'm well aware that RPG's are at their best when cooperative. That previously described incident was an anomaly and I've learned my lesson long since. In fact, I could care two shits about how powerful I am. All I care about is a a nice game of PnP where everyone has fun...

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
There you go. Glad to hear that the game took precedence over the rules. I've always felt the fun was always the point, and those who focused too much on "how to beat it" were missing the entire purpose of playing. That's actually why most of my PnP sessions (with strangers) ended up in my leaving; "Okay, we're all 25th level and we're assaulting the god's fortress. Who goes first?"

*grabs Player's Handbook and dice and heads for the door*

*forevar alone*

Seriously, it's kind of dumb for me to criticize your preferences in how to play a SP RPG, but I can't help but 'sperg about it because I realize how much of the "other side" you're missing. Completing ToEE "within the rules", aka within reason as a PnP session might have been played with respect to class choices, non-cheesing, etc., is so much more satisfying IMO. But then again, I've never tried it "your way".

And on second thought my first paragraph above supports your line of thinking regarding your original post, but we were talking about PnP in the last exchange.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Yeah, I know. DnD has made sad bastards out of all of us. But, it can't be helped and we're all the better for it I think. :incline:

MetalCraze

Arcane
I completed the game. Decided to destroy the skull - the end fight against Zuggtmoy was tough but nothing a buffed party can't handle. Had 1 mage casualty though. Fucking shroom spam.

Wonder if it's worth it to do a 2nd playthrough (with Co8 New Content)

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'd lay off it for a while, it might feel too repetitive in the short term. Come back at it a year later and Co8 should make it seem significantly more fresh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom