Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

G3 Update

Kraszu

Prophet
Lumpy said:
16.) Are there guilds we already saw in Gothic 2 or only new factions ? by aditu

There will be known guilds, e.g. the mercs or the paladins. But since we changed the guild system the player will not only belong to one guild.

That actually answers nothing, becose they may be guilds that are not against each other.

Lumpy

Arcane
Kraszu said:
Lumpy said:
16.) Are there guilds we already saw in Gothic 2 or only new factions ? by aditu

There will be known guilds, e.g. the mercs or the paladins. But since we changed the guild system the player will not only belong to one guild.

That actually answers nothing, becose they may be guilds that are not against each other.
Nor are the guilds in Oblivion.

Kraszu

Prophet
Lumpy said:
Kraszu said:
Lumpy said:

Yes all the guilds in Oblivion, and that sux hard.

Lumpy said:
Kraszu said:
Lumpy said:

Yes all the guilds in Oblivion, and that sux hard.

Oblivion:
"We have a number of guilds, highlighted by the big four: mages, fighters, thieves, and the Dark Brotherhood (the assassin's guild)"

Sound's like one big loving familly. Why should the mages not like the thieves or assasins?

Micmu

Magister
I'm pretty sure G3 will be designed in more logical fashion and without those ugly powergaming demigod-jack-of-all-trades properties. After all, read that developer comment on mixed classes and limited LPs. I also hope for some interaction between the guilds, too bad they haven't said anything about that.

I'm more worried it might be rushed.

Fresh

Erudite
I mostly worried about it being a system hog. G2 wasnt exactly the most optimized game evar.

38.) Will there be more secret hideouts which are not part of the game’s events (e.g. the hermit in the G1 who lived in the stone wall near the castle) but which motivate the player in his urge to research and where you possibly can find nice equipment or artifacts which the player is not able to buy ? by René Grabher and Przemek Plaszewski

Of course the world of Gothic 3 will be full of secret caves and mini-locations. Many Gothic-players love to put away the main plot and to explore the world to discover hidden places. And this adventurousness has to be rewarded...

from another thread

1) G3 will have 3 different ends (based on how you play)
2) G4 (IF it will be developed) will have another mainchar, G3 is the end of the trilogy...

Fresh

Erudite
46.) In the first Gothic, I was always amazed at how I could climb a mountain and still be able to look down into the valley below. This long viewing distance was also seen in Gothic 2, although even at 300% it always felt a bit shorter than in the original Gothic. I loved being able to see so far ahead of myself, as it really helped my immersion factor within the game. But these new screenshots worry me. None of them show any vast areas where I can judge how far I'll be able to see before the cut-off fog sets in. So my question is this: will your new technology still allow players to have long reaching viewing distances, or will they be shorter because of the more detailed graphics ? by Matthias Kreku

Yes, we plan to integrate long viewing distances. One can see far over the landscape, recognize contours, far-flung forests or striking places in the distance. But this option can surely be used on high performance machines only and should be disabled on weak computers, since it requires a high amount of graphics power and memory.
The immediate environs will be detailed, since miscellaneous optimizations will be used. For highest detail (watching from above the hills at a village and nevertheless distant items, villagers and animals can be identified as such) a computer with optimum equipment is a need. But like in Gothic 1 and 2 you will be able to adjust the amount of details.
The screenshots apply to the first Pre-Alpha-version of the game, where these systems and optimizations were integrated only partly or not at all, so we decided to switch the long-view feature off for taking them.

47.) Are there widescreen-resolutions to chose from ? by Justin Collins and Bobby

We're not sure about whether you will get this option in the menu. In principle there would be no problem to offer such resolutions, as long as they are supported by the graphics driver. But since most players call a 4:3 (1,33:1)TFT- or CRT-display their own and don't have any kind of 16:9-display in their living room we will think about integrating this directly to the options menu.

27.) Are we able to attack several enemies at the same time or to use a sweeping blow (dt. “Rundumschlag”) with the new combat system and will there be other combos like knifing ? Uzair Hashmi, Timon Skerutsch and XY

Yes ! Everybody who's been hit by the weapon will perceive this somehow. When an orc leverages his axe everybody nearby should take cover.
The new combos are dependent on the kind of the weapon. A skilled swordsman will knife his enemy in the right moment whereupon he starts to lurch and will be stricken down to the ground by the following hit.
A brute axeman maybe leaves out the first part, hauls off and strikes down everything around him, but he might run into his opponents knife due to his lost defence.

28.) Are shields planned and will we be able to use them for attacks ? Will the shield be used automatically and can it be destroyed ? by Twilight, Matthias Dittmayer and Brille

The shields will only serve as defence in Gothic 3. They are not destroyable but since they can be broken through one should not hide after them too long.
The concept of using attack and paree in the right moment by yourself will be kept, but now you are able to hold a paree and do not have to repel every single hit.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Are we able to attack several enemies at the same time or to use a sweeping blow (dt. “Rundumschlag”) with the new combat system?
Yes ! Everybody who's been hit by the weapon will perceive this somehow.
Great! That was I think the biggest drawback of Gothic melee combat system...
now you are able to hold a paree and do not have to repel every single hit.
...but I liked the fact that parrying demanded some skill from the player :cry:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I suppose it only applies to shields.

It's actually pretty much what I hoped for. I mean, breaking shields would be great, but I just knew it wouldn't be Gothic-like.
If they keep the parry system from Gothic 2 and add this form of shield block, I'll be satisfied. Quite a few players actually voiced concern that shields would be vastly overpowered and "break" the combat system.

Fresh

Erudite
PB|Mike answered some questions from the first load today.

══════════════════════════════════════════════════

1.) Will stamina play a role ? Will there be a display for stamina and will the inventory be limited this time ? by Saman, Joern Christoph and K1LL1NG_SPR33

Two times yes, one time no. The inventory won't be limited, but you are free to get rid of waste carding.

3.) Playing as a mage for example was hard because everytime you casted a spell you were not able to move and you were like to be on show. Will it be possible for the player to move while attacking ? by Sem

Yes, you will be able to move, although slower than normal.

6.) As you said there will be no procentual specifications for abilities like one-handed sword fight or bow fight. How does it work then ? Are there only stages like unexperienced/skilled/master or will the abilities to use a weapon be determined by perks ? by Rethon, Simon Geis and Daezzle-Flash

The latter. Everything will be determined by perks.

7.) Will the perks underlie a hierarchical order so that one perk leads to another which can be learned, or can we chose from every perk at every time ? by Sem

In most cases all percs are arbitrary, only few are dependent on another one.

24.) How do you evaluate Gothic 3 ? Which improvement do you see most innovative ? by x850xt

1. Freer gaming: One is not bound to a linear strand and choice and order of quests can be destined by the player to the greatest possible extend.
2. Graphics and animations made a big step forward, thereby everything seems to be more "authentic". We now are far beyond from what you can see on the last shown pictures.

Take care.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Spacemoose said:
Jesus is all the man I need:

1084115979001zo.jpg

coincidence? I think not

Fresh

Erudite
KaiRo back on air !

51.) Do we have the option to change the look of the hero (e.g. long hair), has it already been changed respectively will the look change during the game (e.g. growth of beard) ? by Marko Lempke, Manolo and Daniel Bezimmienny

Since you are not going to generate your character at the beginning you start the game with the popular nameless Hero and his feral charm. You may add modish details and playful accessoires during the game, but apart from that options to influence the Hero's look are limited to one trifle: Decreasing the resolution will make the hero look more grainy.

52.) Will the hero get a name in the third Gothic or did you already think of a name ? Do you have the opinion that the hero should have one ? by Sorin T, Grour and Lacni

No, the Nameless is not going to get a name, only reverent titles like "the Liberator", "Subjugator of the Sleeper" or "The Dragon-/Skirt-chaser".

56.) Could you give us a small lineup of percs which we will be able to chose from, maybe a backflip or a sideroll and is the player able to perform these although he wears a heavy armor ? by Phynkchen, Marcin Cieslar and Kreydon

The more detailed your question is the more vague my answers will become: You may for example learn percs which apply to the Hero's movements or his skills. In addition there are many percs which serve for improving certain abilities in general.

60.) Will we see children in Gothic 3 ? by Falke1989, Damian and Dwal

No. There are a few things which won't help the World of Gothic become more atmospheric and striking:
High heels, Star Destroyers and children.

63.) Will the landscape be as "compressed" as in Gothic 1/2 or can we travel through wide grassland, fields or deserts ? And how will the change from one "big zone" like forests to snowy mountains be implemented ? by Fabian Ekert und Dtra Rag

"Compressed" ?! *snorts* You mean "enjoyable dense with an uncomparable value of adventures-per-squaremeter" ? The world is still "dense" which means: There is no boring free space. But all in all the world of Gothic 3 is wider in which the broad fields or deserts contain numerous distinctive rock formations or mini-locations so that there won't be optical boredom. And of course none regarding the contents.

64.) Since I play Dungeon Lords right now many similes obtrude. In that game you can find phantastic dungeons with attractive enemies, complicated puzzles and heights at the end. Just like the temple of the Sleeper in Gothic 1, only more complicated. Will there again and above all more of those dungeons like the Old Mine, the Orcish cemetary or the Sleeper's Temple in G1 ? by meditate and ed0_r

Of course gloomy dungeons won't be missing in Gothic 3, but the game focuses on events happening on the surface. Passionate cavers will be offered some nice dungeons, but most of the game will take place in sun-/monnlight.

69.) How do the friends of the Hero judge the decision of the player to join the orcs ? They are not going to be too enthusiastic about, are they ? by !GeNeRaL4DeAtH! and Roock

Imagine your best friend joins an organisation which wants to enslave mankind. You will inevitable think "Yo man, have fun !".

Haha Kairo's one funny dev.

Atrokkus

Erudite
It's actually pretty much what I hoped for. I mean, breaking shields would be great, but I just knew it wouldn't be Gothic-like.
If they keep the parry system from Gothic 2 and add this form of shield block, I'll be satisfied. Quite a few players actually voiced concern that shields would be vastly overpowered and "break" the combat system.
Shield combat was great in Rune, with them breaking if used extensively. But there certainly should be a stronger action element in combat, or else it would be a boring automation battle, like in morrowind.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
I have so no idea WTF you are talkin about. Why compare combat in G3 to Morrowind, when you have G and G2 to compare it to?
Heck, compare it to Oblivion if you must, but Morrowind? Shit.

Micmu

Magister
Why even comparing it to fucking O, when it's a different game for different fanbase and platform?

Fresh

Erudite
72.) Will cheats be as comprehensive as in the other Gothics ? Will the marvin mode or something comparable be integrated ? by Sergey Koss, MarcoX and Wulf

Actually the marvin mode is not used for cheating but is our console with which we have access to all data during the development. There is such a console in Gothic 3 and I don't know why we should deprive you (especially the modders) this comfortable possibility.

61.) Which means of travel will be included in Gothic 3 ? by Arcantos Spartan, God Zeys, Kane_15 and many more

You will definately not be forced to walk through the whole world, but alternatives are not going to be revealed by now.

62.) Are we able to take notes on the map or into the journal ? by Erz and Patryk Majcherkieicz

No. As supplied before you will get special maps for particular quests where things are marked.

66.) The landscape is designed comletely by you, so will there be districts which can be found in real life ? Why did you chose the name "Geldern" for a town in G3, since this does exist in reality as well ? by Sumpfkraut

Yes, we used deserts and middle-european forests and countryside as models for the creation of Gothic 3. But you won't find the snow scenery with its distinctive rock formations anywhere on this place called earth. Okay, if you ever live your real life on another snow planet you might find some resemblence. The question about the cities' names will be answered by somebody working on the story later on.

Kraszu

Prophet
68.) Are there immortal NPCs again or can the player kill everyone now ? by XY

One of the first decisions we made designing Gothic 3 was that everybody is mortal. This idea draws through the whole development. If the Hero is strong enough he is going to be able to kill everyone. But don't be astonished that nobody keeps talking to you if you behave like a wacked out maniac. In which ways this might raise gaming-pleasure everybody is a question you have to ask yourself.

Nice try PB, we know that this is impossible.

Fresh

Erudite
Let's go on.

79.) Even if there are no Paladins left, they once existed, so do we have the option to wear their armors again ? by gamehero

We do not want to give detailed information like this. But apart from that: You can find the mistake in the question ?

81.) How will NPCs interact and could you please tell us some details about the AI-system and how information about the Hero will be spread (maybe if there are regions which the information will be limited to). by Paul Wehle, RatavuK and Nubil

Information will spread on different levels in the game. Next to the interpersonal AI-level, which deals with concrete relationships between people, are two more levels. One of them is responsible to peach on important information city- or guild-wide and the third level pulls the strings globally and decides about big political events. So in principle NPC interact on the lowest level, but main events may be passed on.

82.) Will the world's parts be separated and maybe have to be unlocked or is every part of the world accessable right from the beginning ? by Tobias Neyer

There isn't such a thing like a loading zone which is to be unlocked in a certain chapter. Basically the whole world may be explored from the beginning, but of course we will make sure that the player can enter some areas only later on. This will be controlled through strong enemies which the player will find a hard nut to crack at first, or for example through needed items or attributes.

83.) Will ways between the cities be used by NPC more often now, so that we might meet a moving trader ? And will they even be robbed by bandits from time to time (not scripted, but randomly) ? by Patrick

Absolutely. There are favored ways which are used as some kind of road network by the NPCs on their travels between the cities. These ways are an important point of orientation on your own journeys, too. You are not endangered to lose your way cross-country.

84.) How many NPCs can be met in G3 and how many of them live in the cities, how many in wilderness ? by Thorwyn and kamil

We didn't make good experiences by presenting you pure counts. Since you don't know the game by now and can't classify those we abdicate giving such amounts and hope that you have confidence in our right touch in placing NPCs.

88.) How many villages and cities are we able to visit ? Will the amount of inhabitants compared to the amount of the building be increased ? by Timon Skerutsch

As above: no concrete counts.

89.) Are there going to be flying enemies which do not serve for decoration only but attack the player ? "Flying" means "real flying" and not the ground-bound bloodflies which were not able to attack from above. by Heavyguard

Yes there are flying creatures. But it stays a secret how exactly we realised this. The most interesting thing is that flying creatures are implemented reasonable in gameplay. This means that you are able to combat them, that they are able to use special airborne attacks and that they are treated special in pathfinding to let them make use of their flight ability. All these things are considered adequate.

95.) Will all main characters (Hero, Xardas etc.) have the same voice actors like before ? by !GeNeRaL4DeAtH!, Kane_15 ànd Almir16

Speech recordings are not in the can by now so I can't promise anything. But of course we can share our wishes and imaginations with you, which are: All main characters will be dubbed by the same actors like in the predecessors. New roles will have new actors to let the mainland differ from Khorinis and alternation will increase compared to the other Gothic games.

Short note: I'm afflicted by a pneumonia at the moment and my doctor tied me up to the bed (Somebody want her phone number ? She's really cool ). Anyway I can't deal with this event like I want to. I coordinate the questions and answers with my collegues by mobile to don't let this thread rest in deadlock, but please don't be angry if it takes some days.

Atrokkus

Erudite
have so no idea WTF you are talkin about. Why compare combat in G3 to Morrowind,
WHERE am I comparing GOTHIC to MORROWIND? I'm saying that a bad decision concerning this particular element could lead to such resemblance. Can't you see the logical difference?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
You're a bloody missionary, Hyperboy.

Also, I've taken the liberty to translate the new answers by André:
77.) How about the defensive stance of the Hero in Gothic 3? Will he be able to block an attack with any weapon (be it steel sword or axe) again or does that depend on the opponent and its strength? by Brille

Both. While you can use any weapon defensively, it's not possible to effectively block every weapon with every other weapon. The same applies for attacks: Some can be parried more easily than others. Additionally, a related Talent influences your parade abilities.

96.) How will the animations change in contrast to Gothic 2? Are you using a new system? by Edward A. Winsa und David Moen Røe

Well, first and foremost there will be considerably more and better looking animations, especially in combat. However, we also set great store in authentic and varied animations in all other situations, to ensure the impression of a living world.
As base system we employ the EmotionFX engine by Mystic Game Development, which especially allows us to create very smooth transistions between animations for fluid motion.

100.) Since Gothic 3 has been your most extensive production to date, there are certainly unforseen problems getting in your way. Are there any examples you are willing to share, maybe even some still holding you up? by Error404

Those occur on a daily basis actually, that's what makes the whole thing so exciting in the first place.

Since every small change influences the whole game, we often need great sensitivity to find the right way. Small changes in the material system for instance can lead to all characters running around naked all of a sudden, which is especially funny right before a press event...

Another problem occured during the first implementation of combat. Since weapon hits were determined by collision (even if the weapon was on a character's back or on the ground), downright mass slaughter occured inside towns on a regular basis since NPCs kept running into each other's weapons and interpreted it as an ambush.

Later.

Anoik

Novice
!HyPeRbOy! said:
61.) Which means of travel will be included in Gothic 3 ? by Arcantos Spartan, God Zeys, Kane_15 and many more

You will definately not be forced to walk through the whole world, but alternatives are not going to be revealed by now.
Oh, no... Fast Travel attacks again... :lol:

Micmu

Magister
I'm pretty sure they'll use teleporter pads on some locations or something similar. Like in NoTR expansion.

Fresh

Erudite
New answers from PB|Mike !

76.) Would it be possible to talk to several people at the same time ("trialog") or maybe that you talk to someone and another gives a comment ? by Argez

Yes ! In fact the realization is very complicated, because you can't act on the assumption that every dialog partner is around or still alive, but we have a flexible dialog system at our disposal. So in certain situations the player will talk to several people at the same time.

78.) Does an archer have a larger choice of bows/crossbows (with bonuses) + different kind of arrows and bolts ? May arrows be set light to or can we pick up arrows which have already been fired ? by Matthias Dittmayer, DaX and Stubborn

Yes, archers may choose from many different types of ammunition, but picking up fired-off arrows won't be possible at all. We are using a limited amount of ammunition as a gameplay element.

85.) Will we see effects of woundings like a scar and will the equipment be frayed after some time with bumps in a shield for example ? by mailo, Ilya and God Zeys

No, none at all.

86.) Will the NPCs getting stronger during the game or are they going to stay always the same ? by LotW89

Yes, NPCs are getting stronger. They are even leveling - but in most cases not visible for the player. It's a "feature" of the game which we never mentioned in particular, although one can clearly see the effects.

92.) May we become the leader of a guild ? by Maxim Sibirkin and eMzi

Something similar.

99.) What about the feeling of having created the best game in history ? Did you ever reckon having such a success ? by kkdm and Daetori

a) Slow down !
b) Hoped for it - yes, reckoned - no !

100.) Since Gothic 3 is the largest project you were working on there surely are unexpected problems getting in your way and which may even delay your workd. It would be nice if you can give some examples. by Error404

Some things didn't work as planned at all. For example the usage of licensed technology. You think "Super, we buy an engine, a physics system and a cool animations system and everything will be fine (even very fast), since we don't do everything from scratch by ourselfs." Then the insight comes: To make the systems capable to serve our purposes and to stand the amount of data, many parts of the licensed technology had to be reprogrammed. That's not good...
But many problems we face right now have been foreseen and we've got useful solutions for them - I guess we're getting better.

So long, see you later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom