Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Galactic Civilization 2 Weapons

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Is there any reason to ever use anything besides Missiles? Is there some advantage I'm not seeing? Twice the damage for just a little bit more space? Is it just cost? Even if the enemy goes for anti-missile defenses, it's only half as effective against same-tier missiles (as compared to the other types of weapons) because missiles do double damage as normal weapons. What I mean is, countermeasures don't give you double defense the same way missiles give you double attack, so while Armor gives defense 1, and Guns do damage 1, Countermeasures give defense 1 while Missiles do damage 2. I'd have to check countermeasure size, but I'm pretty sure they're close to the other types.

So I have a ship that can do 2 damage with missiles for less space than it would take to do 2 damage with guns or lasers, and is harder to defend against.

Levski 1912

Scholar
You can get Nano Rippers (9 damage) when you get to the last tier of Singularity Drivers, and those are very effective, since it doesn't take too long to research. Also, I've noticed that the computer always tends to put up missile defenses first. Lasers are the ones that take the longest to become effective (unless you're evil, then you get Psionic Beams that do 12 damage) but they're also very small.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
So, in other words, unless I'm at the far side of the tech tree, I'm right? I don't wait till I'm at the end of the tech tree to attack.

Also, as I said in my post, missile defenses are only 1/2 as effective as other defenses of the same tier (against their respective weapons).

bryce777

Erudite
Well, I imagine armor counts against missiles as well. Therefore it is a question of how many missiles the missile defense stop. If it's half of them, then your design sucks. If it is less than half it probably does not suck.

If they had a better system, then it would vary more often as to whether missiles were good or bad.

I liked in moo1-2 how missiles ran out. Realisitcally there is no reason not to fire all of them at once; it would just be a matter of how heavy they are versus the damage they can put out, and of course their expense. Even if they had to be stowed in a hold for ftl travel, in space there is no air resistance, so the could all be unloaded and attached to the hull as soon as the ship arrived insystem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom