Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Galactic Civilizations 2: Dark Avatar Beta started

Astromarine

Erudite
<strong>[ Update ]</strong>

For those who decided to preorder the expansion for Galciv 2, Stardock decided, after delaying the release to February 2007, to start a beta test around the date of the original planned release. This is now. According to Brad Wardell in the <a href="http://forums.galciv2.com/index.aspx?AID=136378">Galciv2 forums</a>, they've started processing preorders and sending beta keys, though it's gonna take a while to go through all, due to the overwhelming amount of preorders. Here's a few major gameplay changes in the expansion:<div>
</div><ol><li>The combat system has been rewritten. It is now based on weapon instead of ship. That means a given ship could strike N opponents where N is the # of weapons on the ship. Logistics and cost of larger ships have been adjusted to keep fleets of small ships viable.</li><li>Factories produce a LOT less than they used to. But there are now power plants that magnify production. More emphasis is being put on getting resources from asteroid fields and starbases.</li><li>There will be a lot of enemy agents floating around. Even in Dread Lords there were agents in your empire, you just didn't know about them. No you actually see them on your worlds. Be wary of trying to swat every last agent on your planet at the expense of your economy.  Agents remain how you are supposed to also learn about a civ overall (i.e. if you have them on an alien world, you automatically start to learn stuff).</li></ol><div>I've got my key already, so expect a first impression in the next couple days.
</div><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.galciv2.com">Galciv Official Page</a></p>

Astromarine

Erudite
I'm not sure. If you know you'll want the game anyway, preordering now wouldn't hurt, but I haven't seen any indication specifying whether it will work or not, except MAYBE the following, as seen on the Galciv2 forums. This is NOT GUARANTEED TO WORK WITH NEW PREORDERS:

Go to Stardock Central and go to 'Tools', 'Settings' and click on 'Lookup Seriual No.'. After you enter your email address you should receive an emai with all your serial numbers on it. The DA one should be on there too.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Holy Moses, Mother of God, He who Died for Sins, Litany of Saints!

Somebody beat Baby Arm to a news post!

Oh, and I'm eagerly awaiting impressions, since I don't feel like slapping down money until I know what the end product is like.

Astromarine

Erudite
Hm. I've played the first phase of a game today, had friends over. It's... interesting. Gameplay feels a bit less "abstract", as you have to build, deploy, and exploit resources that previously you saw only as a couple numbers. Espionage seems nice, though at the stage I'm in it's quite limited. Mining complicates matters on the initial expansion push, because you now have asteroid belts tio fight for as well as the planets and resources. And even planet expansion itself feels different because of the new environment types that you need to research before you can colonize them. I predict it will be interesting to see planet exploration screw with fixed research orders. If you have a juicy radioactive world close to you is it worth delaying knowledge of weapons or industrialization for?

To test, I tried a fully random small galaxy, and I think the new environments play hell with small scale "balanced race" games, because it's a bit more of a crapshoot. but so far it seems to be worth it for the texture it adds to the games.

Astromarine

Erudite
No. In any case, the tech needed to colonize the planets isn't that expensive. Also, once you DO have the tech, any colony ship can colonize any of the environments you've researched, even already built ones. So it's not that big an impact.

I need to investigate a couple new Diplomatic options: Economic Treaty and Research Treaty. They look very very weird, in that I managed to trade MY treaties and a few techs for THEIR treaties, a few techs, and 6 THOUSAND credits. It seems out of whack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom