Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Game Design Trinity - Gameplay, Presentation, Story

Which is in your opinion the degree of importance these aspects have to a game's final quality?

• Presentation > Story > Gameplay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Presentation = Story > Gameplay

• Story = Gameplay > Presentation

• Presentation > Story = Gameplay

• Total voters

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Even dumb action games need something.

No they don't furfag
Uh... yeah, they totaly do. Unless you enjoy playing a cube throwing triangles at circles, I guess... these games exist too after all.

PS: no, I don't want to see rule34 of geometry, thanks.

No they don't
To give you an example: Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma
The story is so boring, so generic that you could completely replace it by a skippable text screen at the beginning of each mission just to give context and the game would be much better for it
And it would still be an excellent brawler

Then you have even more extreme examples like Doom that have the "story" in the fucking manual

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Then you have even more extreme examples like Doom that have the "story" in the fucking manual
Not true. The ‘story’ is in the environment and progression of the game, as well as in the intermissions, which aren't the manual, so you're wrong anyway. Besides, the more extreme example is Quake, not Doom.

That's right. Doom has a story, and it's a great one.

HansDampf

Arcane
Couldn't care less about Doom's story. There are custom WADs that surpass the original campaign without having text intermissions or environmental storytelling.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Not true. The ‘story’ is in the environment and progression of the game, as well as in the intermissions, which aren't the manual, so you're wrong anyway. Besides, the more extreme example is Quake, not Doom.

No one that played Doom gave a shit its story
No one keeps replaying Doom for its story
No one makes WADs for Doom to experience an engaging narrative
No one other than fags like you of course

And yes most of game ''story'' was simply background that came in the instructions manual
And no there's isn't enviromental storytelling of much importance, because Doom isn't System Shock, it's level design priorities are to provide a good "gamey" challenge to the player not ressemble a "real space" like LGS games
The intermissions are just short flavor text

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gameplay and level design > good presentation (strong artstyle and atmosphere) > story.

Doom and Quake are fun to play, have a strong and distinctive artstyle that still looks good 30 years later, and barely have any story. And they're PEAK gaming.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist

No one that played Doom gave a shit its story
No one keeps replaying Doom for its story
No one makes WADs for Doom to experience an engaging narrative
No one other than fags like you of course

And yes most of game ''story'' was simply background that came in the instructions manual
And no there's isn't enviromental storytelling of much importance, because Doom isn't System Shock, it's level design priorities are to provide a good "gamey" challenge to the player not ressemble a "real space" like LGS games
The intermissions are just short flavor text
Believe it or not, Doom has a setting, and that setting develops as you go through the game. Obviously it's still very basic and not anything that's interesting on its own, but it's there and makes the game a far better experience than it would be if it were just random shit. I know, it's extremely ‘insignificant’, but it's actually very significant. No, I didn't mention ‘environmental storytelling’, and I didn't mean there was much of any narrative there. But there is a kind of story there that makes it a cohesive experience. It's the kind of story that has no story. It's so subtle you might not have even noticed, but your brain did. Not that you would understand seeing how you're a retard who likes Dark Souls 2.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Story > not just the plot itself but the combination of all other aspects in direct relation to it - setting, lore, characters, writing, pacing, themes, worldbuilding consistency, etc...

Filing setting under story is a cheap storyfag ploy to boost the popularity of story.

That's how it would look in reality: Gameplay > setting > presentation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> story.

Yeah especially because setting doesn't require any writing as such.

You can have a game with not a single word of text in it, but still carrying a strong atmosphere.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I have an idea.

What if we evaluated games on how good they are overall instead of which percentages of what things they're made of?

It may sound crazy, but I think I'm really onto something here.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
No, I didn't mention ‘environmental storytelling’

The ‘story’ is in the environment and progression of the game

:nocountryforshitposters:

Not that you would understand seeing how you're a retard who likes Dark Souls 2.

Yes.png

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
No, I didn't mention ‘environmental storytelling’

The ‘story’ is in the environment and progression of the game

:nocountryforshitposters:
‘You used a word that's the same as that one phrase people use sometimes, therefore you mean that! I'm so smart, I win.’

I don't mean ‘things in the environment that suggest a narrative’. I literally mean the environments themselves. I could have said ‘setting’, but that's not quite the right emphasis.

Not that you would understand seeing how you're a retard who likes Dark Souls 2.

Yes.png
Now that's just bad taste. Dark Souls 2 was a failure in every way. Graphics are shit, setting is shit, and at least half of the boss fights were retarded. Huge decline from DS1. And yet there's all you retards who choose it as your favourite. Why? What's wrong with you?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I don't mean ‘things in the environment that suggest a narrative’. I literally mean the environments themselves.

It's same fucking thing dumbass

And yet there's all you retards who choose it as your favourite. Why?

Because:
1) it's the most mechanically sound game From has made
2) it has some of the best level design From has made
3) despite it's flaws it's still far more memorable than DS3 and Shitkiro

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I don't mean ‘things in the environment that suggest a narrative’. I literally mean the environments themselves.

Read between the lines. Understand the intent of my words and not your own literalistic interpretation that you use to dismiss things you can't comprehend.

And yet there's all you retards who choose it as your favourite. Why?

Because:
1) it's the most mechanically sound game From has made
2) it has some of the best level design From has made
3) despite it's flaws it's still far more memorable than DS3 and Shitkiro
Well I played it and it sucked. It's a rushed, thrown-together, mediocre game. For what it is.

BUT OMG OMNIDIRECTIONAL ROLLING!!! IM GONNA ROOOOOOOOLL!!!!!!!!!!1111111

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Ok so

Someone could take Doom's levels, copy them verbatim, but replace the textures with something more medieval, replace the monsters with knights, archers and witches (but make them functionally the same, just a sprite swap), and now the story is that you are a space marine invading a medieval planet of sorcerers.

Mechanics would be the same. Weapons would be the same. Level design would be the same. "Story" would be different.

What would be the actual functional difference here?

Codex Year of the Donut
Ok so

Someone could take Doom's levels, copy them verbatim, but replace the textures with something more medieval, replace the monsters with knights, archers and witches (but make them functionally the same, just a sprite swap), and now the story is that you are a space marine invading a medieval planet of sorcerers.

Mechanics would be the same. Weapons would be the same. Level design would be the same. "Story" would be different.

What would be the actual functional difference here?
hexen was a pretty good game

PrettyDeadman

gameplay is a stupid word
"that movie had good moviewatch"
"that book had good bookread"
It's actually the same for the books AND movies.
text >>> story in moves.
visual experience >>> story in movies.
it doesn't matter how original or important your ideas you express in story are if you are shit with words your book will be shit. the same goes the other way too.

Momock

Augur
Well, there is the things in the environemnent that tells you a "story" that happened in these environments, and the environment themselves that give a feeling of progression as they change, that is it's own story in itself. Like... the logs/bodies/items in you know-what-games are the former while beginning on Phobos and ending in Hell in Doom is the latter (you don't need more to tell that story. In fact... the stupid text dumps between chapters should be removed entirely, it will make the game better).

I'd argue that the line between gameplay and presentation can get fairly blurred at times, especially if we are intending the latter as a matter of production value in many areas, and not just visuals.

For example how smooth/polished camera controls can be and how clearly information is presented on screen during a battle can have a significant impact on the enjoyment of the game, regardless of any obsession on pure eye candy.
Not that eye candy in itself is anything to spit on, anyway.

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
gameplay is a stupid word
"that movie had good moviewatch"
"that book had good bookread"
It's actually the same for the books AND movies.
text >>> story in moves.
visual experience >>> story in movies.
it doesn't matter how original or important your ideas you express in story are if you are shit with words your book will be shit. the same goes the other way too.
Yeah, but no one reads a book for its words or watches a film for its frames. They're just the forms of the media. It's the contents that actually matter. You might read or watch something because it has good form, but not for it (unless you're trying to analyse how the medium works, or something, or are just a nerd with internet autism). Form can elevate or ruin anything, but serves no purpose when it has nothing. With games, it's different as the ‘gameplay’ is actually part of the contents of interest, but I don't think most games are able to get by on just that alone, nor are they meant to. I suppose the better comparison would be design rather than gameplay. Imagine playing a game for mechanics and not for actual gameplay. A game that's just form with no content... that sure sounds like Daggerfall!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom