Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game series that made off brand RPG spin offs

Hell Swarm

Educated
There are some truly insane spin off RPGs out there and I'd like to share some of them with Codex. Feel free to share your own example and share the wealth!

Eisen

Learned
The bomberman one seems more like Zelda and the last two are probably jRPGs

Fink

Novice
If you count MMORPGs - warcraft RTS games > world of warcraft

There are Super Mario JRPGs

Can't think of any games that were spun off into traditional CRPGs, though

Oh wait, didn't Assassin's Creed games eventually become "RPGs" at some point?

deuxhero

Arcane
The entire Battle Network subseries arguably counts.
GBC and GBA Mario Golf/Tennis games. A lot of sports career modes are pretty close to RPGs alread, but these have overworlds and sidequests and a rough plot.
Actually reminds me that EA tried to add a Biowareian story mode to one of their basketball games. I've never heard anyone talk about it but remember plenty of luls at the concept when it was announced because EA was way to into it and it the drama shown was soap opera tier.

Very close to RPGs:
The Yu-Gi-Oh! 2009/2010/2011 trilogy on DS have full overworld (with stuff to find and random objects to examine for actually kinda amusing flavor text) that use the card game as their battle system. 2011 is excellent, but 2010 is really just 2011 with less stuff and 2009 is so blatantly a prototype that had no idea what it was doing (It's a synchro era game and it's nearly impossible for the player to get any synchros before the post-game!)
PachiPara, a literal pachinko simulator series, randomly had a trilogy of open world sandbox games where pachinko was the battle system and everyone in world took things super seriously. The writing is also hilarious from what I can make out. Full of the totally irreverent dialog options that Steambot Chronicles and Disaster Report (same devs) were famous for. Had this been literally anything but pachinko (e.g., Children's Card Games) they would have been considered a classic.

Odoryuk

Educated
I feel like Castlevanias since SotN count, as long as you level up and change equipment it is Action RPG(Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Eclessia, Curse of Darkness).

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Since this appears to be a JRPG heavy thread:

Torneko's Great Adventure - Dragon Quest Roguelike spin-off

Samurai Shodown RPG

Puyo Puyo Rpg

Virtua Fighter spin-off: Virtua Quest

I guess Yakuza may also count?
Going back to Famicom / GBC Generation, I`m sure you can find tons more as everyone started tried to ride off the success of Dragon Quest or Pokemon (Monster Hunter Stories probably counts).

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Educated
Torneko's Great Adventure - Dragon Quest Roguelike spin-off
RPGs making different style RPGs wouldn't be off brand. That's pretty standard thanks to series like Final fantasy. They would need to make a hack and slash action game to be off brand.

Doc Sportello

Learned
Patron
Panzer Dragoon RPG (SS)
TwinBee RPG (PS)
Bomberman Wars (SS)
Fate/Extra (PSP)
To Heart 2: Dungeon Travelers (PC, PSP, PSV)
Namco x Capcom (PS2)
Klonoa Heroes (GBA)
Ape Quest (PSP)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom