Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Gamebanshee reviews Dragon Age

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Brother None said:
We've thought about giving a "Gold Rating" to games that would have got/did get a 9+ rating in our old system, which is King's Bounty, Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate II, the Witcher and...dunno, think that's it. Meh. We'll see.
Some kind of "must play" or "gamebanshee approved". Why not? But You should also add a "don't play this shit" tag. Codex don't need that, since every game is banal shit boring anyway.

Elzair said:
Clockwork Knight said:
The favorable or not rating sounds okay. The problem is that most people already have an opinion of sorts on the games and see the ratings as a competition - if their favrit gaem isn't a perfect 10, the rating becomes the center of the discussion. AND there are people who will bitch if the rating is higher than they think the game deserves.

Yes, but that is a problem even without a rating. I remember there were people here (including myself) who thought VaultDweller's review of DA:O was far too positive. Reviews inherently have a rating, and trying to hide it seems silly.

So there will always be butthurt on both sides because rarely will people agree on that 8.8 ("wtf, why not 9?" vs "wtf, why is it almost 9?").

Yes, this is why I think a discrete five star rating system is best. This gives reviewers five broad choices, and that is probably the maximum human reviewers can truly handle. Accurately ranking things on a decimal system or (*SHUDDER*) a percentile system is beyond the capabilities of humans beings.

I prefer favorable / neutral / unfavorable because then you don't have an exact number that people will bitch about, and he can get into specifics without rating each one. Also, while the reviewer's own rating might change over time, a simpler rating wouldn't.

Would you still give that game these 7.8 points / 3.5 stars one year from now?

vs

Would you still think favorably of that game one year from now?

Because while recent titles get great ratings - mostly because of hype - that tend to go down with time, people that liked these games on release usually still like those games after a while, only their thinking is "still favorable" instead of "still 8.7 / 4 stars". I believe that's the case with VD's review - it was positive, but that allowed us to focus on the text itself rather than a simple rating at the end. While it had a positive tone, it contained enough info to be considered a good review instead of the usual "itz heavan" slobbering.

Ch1ef

Scholar
The game is smoothly executed. Everything fits together well. It looks good. The faces of the NPCs draw you in. The music stirs the heart. The voice actors are well chosen. The party dialog is vivid.
Bullshit.

relootz

Scholar
Wise Emperor said:
After one run through both DA:O & ME2 I'm more eager to replay second game.

Conclusion: DA:O is only good for what it is.

You are not very wise, are you.

dragonfk

Erudite
relootz said:
Wise Emperor said:
After one run through both DA:O & ME2 I'm more eager to replay second game.

Conclusion: DA:O is only good for what it is.

You are not very wise, are you.

Certainly wiser than you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom