Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GamePro trashes Fallout 3

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.gamepro.fr/lire/fallout-3-rpg-bethesda/411/
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43720

Playable in first or third person, the sensations offered by Fallout 3 when it comes to shooting at sight are more or less the same. Which is to say that independently of the approach we chose, the first combats were pretty similar to what one could find in any average action game, that is to say completely dull and poor in terms of sensations. After a few squalls, the bar is full and you can start the "bullet time" mode, if one may say so, and so doing be able to aim more precisely any part of your opponents' body, evaluating the probability to succeed for this or that part. Follows a slow motion animation which shows in details the effect of your shooting through a not so good camera move which soon becomes tedious even though you can cut it. Combats so, which, we admit, we could only try in surface, disappointed us by their classicism and their languor.
Our Vault Dweller does not run, he walks as stiff as a piece of wood. A rigid animation which caracterizes a game which, technically, appeared as rather deceiving. The level of details of the textures clearly reminded us of Oblivion, a trip into the past since much better looking things have been released since. Impossible also not to think of the deception the Fallout fans will feel when they get out of the Vault. They, who will discover a game the general appearance of which has nothing in common with the first two episodes and who will have to adhere to this new vision of the nuclear apocalypse which has more to do with a hesitating cybernetism à la Mad Max. They also who won't be able to ignore so much aliasing and these slavering textures. However, even though Fallout 3 looks rather ugly, you only have to get away from the screen a little bit to seize this impression of greatness and this isolated look on the desolated world which surrounds you. Deception then is partially replaced by a sense of ambition. And what if Fallout 3 under its maybe deceiving appearance really offered the great libertarian, incredibly immersive and open adventure it has always promised ?
The attitude of Pete Hine towards our questions betrayed a disproportionate confidence in Fallout 3 which in the end gave us hope. What if, everything reminds us of Oblivion ? Would it also mean that Fallout 3 will inherit of its princial flaws ? One of these flaws which we were promised will be corrected until its release is the awaiting appearance of the world and of the PNJ which both seem to be waiting for the main players's actions. It cruelly lacks of life, even in this wasteland. What about the rest ? Impossible to know. One thing is for sure : Bethesda still has work to do.
Who would have thought?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
That's a pretty scathing preview. Guess Bethesda doesn't give a shit about Europe...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most Europeans are probably still pissed because Oblivion's translations [at least the German one] had the quality of a babelfish translation. Seriously.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's funny how all the other previews say Fallout 3's got beautiful graphics. Guess they have something in their eyes.

Texas Red

Whiner
Meh. They only whined about the graphics instead of the important parts. Yes, the game looks ugly. So WHAT? Would they rather have a game now or wait another 4 years of engine development. Frankly I don't get the graphics bashing. A company for the first time decided to ignore teh grafix and it gets bashed.

What I loved about FO 2:

Getting out of the tribe in to a real town. Getting to know the people, gathering information, receiving quests, exploring, conversing etc. FO 3 seems different and the previews show it. You get out of the vault to have a single dialog and then shoot stuff, after which something happens that is so craptastic that Bethesda refuses to reveal it.

Suchy

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Most Europeans are probably still pissed because Oblivion's translations [at least the German one] had the quality of a babelfish translation. Seriously.
Not much lost from the original anyway.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
How can he possibly come to such conclusions about the gameplay and especially the graphics from however little he played? He must be an NMAer or a Codexer or a rapist of some sorts to be that stupid. In all seriousness, I find the conflicting previews boggling. It is Oblivion, it isn't, it's Fallout, it isn't.

aron searle

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Meh. They only whined about the graphics instead of the important parts.

Wrong

They are aiming for the console market where graphics really matter, if they go for that market, and their graphics are not up to scratch, they should be ripped apart for it.

Anyway, it has realistic concrete, so realistic it will blow you're mind away, fucking french don't know what they are on about.

/concrete

Raapys

Arcane
Seems like they didn't like the actual gameplay of the game either, i.e. the shooting stuff part.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
aron searle said:
Dark Individual said:
Meh. They only whined about the graphics instead of the important parts.

Wrong

They are aiming for the console market where graphics really matter, if they go for that market, and their graphics are not up to scratch, they should be ripped apart for it.

Anyway, it has realistic concrete, so realistic it will blow you're mind away, fucking french don't know what they are on about.

/concrete

Let's check the official source:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/info/overview.html said:
"Eye-Popping Prettiness!* – Witness the harsh realities of nuclear fallout rendered like never before in modern super-deluxe HD graphics. From the barren Wasteland, to the danger-filled offices and metro tunnels of DC, to the hideous rotten flesh of a mutant’s face.

It'll be the same as with Oblivion - the hype will cover for monkey-faced, blurry-textured NPCs and 3 anything-but-sharp tilesets used to create the whole Cyrodill.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Dark Individual said:
Meh. They only whined about the graphics instead of the important parts. Yes, the game looks ugly. So WHAT?
Well we already know the gameplay is skullfucked beyond recognition. The only leg this game has to stand on is it's appeal as a shooter to the troglodytes. The fact that this game can't even stand on it's own as any more than a lackluster shooter is pretty damning.

Concrete is the new soil erosion.

...and around and round we go...
Anybody else as sick of these numnuts as I am?

This isn't even the bad part, wait until Fallout 4 and 5!

Dire Roach

Prophet
Geez. You make a game with a color palette that's limited to shades of brown and green and gray and still those dastardly Europeans spit on the graphics. Is there no way to visually please those stinky Old Worlders?

Imbecile

Arbiter
Kingston said:
How can he possibly come to such conclusions about the gameplay and especially the graphics from however little he played? He must be an NMAer or a Codexer or a rapist of some sorts to be that stupid. In all seriousness, I find the conflicting previews boggling. It is Oblivion, it isn't, it's Fallout, it isn't.

She's my daughter, my sister, my daughter, my sister.

To be truthful this preview is just as guided by the previewers baggage as the "it roxxors" previews. I prefer a slightly more open minded approach... Just the facts ma'am.

BearBomber

Scholar
93993220080625screen002ht0.jpg
[/list]

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
"I am Mr Kowalski

And this is Mrs Kowalski, I don't want any other"

It's a line from one important old Polish book by an important old Polish writer (Potop by Henryk Sienkiewicz). Mr Kowalski - a soldier - was calling his sabre "Mrs Kowalski"

Texas Red

Whiner
Darth Roxor said:
"I am Mr Kowalski

And this is Mrs Kowalski, I don't want any other"

It's a line from one important old Polish book by an important old Polish writer (Potop by Henryk Sienkiewicz). Mr Kowalski - a soldier - was calling his sabre "Mrs Kowalski"

A barbarous people.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
That actually is a pretty good quote. ¬¬
+1 respect for Polish from me...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom