Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gamer's Hell Spotlights Spellforce

Sol Invictus

Erudite
<a href="http://www.spellforce.com/" target="blank">Spellforce: The Order of Dawn</a> is a Real Time Strategy/Role Playing Game hybrid that's currently under development by the creator of the amazing <b>The Settlers</b> strategy game series, <i>Volker Wertich</i>.
<br>
<br>
<a href="http://www.gamershell.com" target="blank">Gamer's Hell</a> has put up a <a href="http://www.gamershell.com/news/BSpellforceBscreensfacts.shtml" target="blank">first look</a> of the game with a host of screenshots for your viewing pleasure.
<br>
<br>
Here's a snippet of the article:
<br>
<blockquote>Commanding units can be done from a variety of perspectives. Clearly, the isometric RTS-style interface is the easiest way to handle masses of units. However, you can group your character with other units under your command and switch to third or even first-person mode to carry out more detailed actions in battle. Most notably, you can command individual units in your party to perform particular actions, cast certain spells or move. The targeting system is different than most standard RTS games, in which you have trouble targeting enemies for spells while a battle rages. </blockquote>
<br>
That sounds quite nice. Hopefully, the amount of spells and skills available to the characters will not be as limited as they were in Warcraft 3. After all, it claims to be an RTS/RPG, and not just an RTS, so I suppose that they'll be putting quite a bit of work into that aspect.
<br>
<br>
Overall, Spellforce looks to be a very promising title, especially considering the series creator, whose games I very much admire, and enjoy, if you can excuse the slight bias.
<br>
<br>
Now, you might ask me question, "What's so RPG about it?" And I'll respond, "Well, it's as much an RPG as Icewind Dale 2 is, if you think about it from a CRPG perspective."

Ibbz

Augur
I'm going to have to be a skeptic on this one. I cant recall any RTS/RPG game that has done either genre any justice and i cant see this really changing things. {Although Master of Magic was fantastic in its balance of RPG and strategy :D but it aint an RTS}

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom