Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games in Creative Settings!

Ebola1717

Novice
I've grown tired of the bulk of my games being in overused fantasy or modern settings. What awesome games are out there that are in fresh and underused settings and styles, like steampunk, cyberpunk, middle-eastern, chinese, etc.
I know the obvious ones codex would suggest (Deus Ex, Arcanum, etc.), but what else is out there?

Shoelip

Arbiter
Also Beyond Good and Evil if you can stand cuteness. It's somewhat cute.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Brutal Legend is awesome. The game's art style, world, and characters were all influenced by the wild shit you used to see on heavy metal albums, such as Painkiller. The game world looks fucking amazing, lots of creative eye candy there.

It's a console only game, unfortunately.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
project nomads had a steampunkish world with floating islands. it was quite ok. not in the awesome category.
prince of qin has in a chinese setting, and seems like a diablo clone, but according to the codex itself is much deeper than that and pretty good.
Xor said:
Play Psychonauts if you haven't.
do it even if you already have.

bhlaab

Erudite
Just grasping at various straws from my Start menu here...

No One Lives Forever (1960s Spy Movie)
STALKER series (Roadside Picnic meets Silent Hill meets the Chernobyl disaster)
Call of Juarez Bound in Blood (Western)
Giants: Citizen Kabuto (?????????)
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (you said middle eastern)
Anachronox (sort of cyberpunk I guess?)
Cryostasis (The north pole is kind of underused)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
AndhairaX said:
Final Fantasy X. Its actually pretty good.

riso4ielt5.gif

1258125499594.jpg

1257739552155.jpg

men-women-laugh-out-loud-01-af-450x311.jpg

Emotional Vampire said:
This thread made me realize 90% of games in "unique" settings are utter shit.

[disbelief in statement]

[witty remark about intelligence]

[long name-dropping list without mentioning what makes them so great, complete with "well!?!?!?!"]

[rhetorical question about sanity]

[funny emote]

Elzair

Cipher
The Longest Journey is pretty good. It is split between two worlds: a cyberpunk future Earth and a fantasy world (don't worry; it is more storybook fantasy than D&D fantasy).

Clockwork Knight said:
Emotional Vampire said:
This thread made me realize 90% of games in "unique" settings are utter shit.

[disbelief in statement]

[witty remark about intelligence]

[long name-dropping list without mentioning what makes them so great, complete with "well!?!?!?!"]

[rhetorical question about sanity]

[funny emote]

[quoting the entire thing]

[replying with a single witty retordt and smug emote]

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Elzair said:
The Longest Journey is pretty good. It is split between two worlds: a cyberpunk future Earth and a fantasy world (don't worry; it is more storybook fantasy than D&D fantasy).

The sequel, Dreamfall, isn't too bad even if the actiony parts are absolute shit and the story ends on a cliffhanger.

Second the rec for Sacrifice. RTS with strong RPG elements, pity it was so underrated.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Undying, Victorian setting with Lovercraftian twist and gore, great FPS.
American McGee's Alice, twisted version of the Carrol's novel, not so great FPS.
Kiss:Psychocircus-The Nightmare Child, onirical old school FPS/Horror.
MDK 1/2 great demential Sci-Fi shooter.
Armed and Dangerous, great Sci-Fi like shooter with British humour.
Grom, peculiar game, here an excerpt from Moby Games:
During World War II, Hitler's Third Reich sought out and pilfered art and wealth, hording their stolen booty in secret strongholds. This game takes place during that time. In 1942, special German forces have invaded Tibet and are searching for more to add to their Führer's arsenal - the 12 "miracle" weapons of King Arunja in an undiscovered "Lost City". One of these weapons, according to legend, could obliterate major cities, wiping them off the face of the earth.

You take the part of Colonel Grom, a member of the Polish army fighting the Nazis during World War II. Grom is a seasoned and shrewd commander who has his own personal score to settle with the Germans.

GROM is billed as a combination Action/Adventure/RPG. It is very much like a "point and click adventure", but it includes a good dose of real-time combat action. You will be selecting characters, moving them, setting their positions and managing their inventories. Travelling between the various locations is handled by way of a country map. Upon your travels you’ll meet many people — American and British soldiers, shopkeepers, merchants and, of course, some more hostile characters - The Nazis.

Lesifoere said:
Elzair said:

The sequel, Dreamfall, isn't too bad even if the actiony parts are absolute shit and the story ends on a cliffhanger.

Second the rec for Sacrifice. RTS with strong RPG elements, pity it was so underrated.

Yeah, it's a pity about the actiony parts, as I actually preferred the way the fantasy world was presented in Dreamfall to the 'high fantasy' of TLJ (same setting, but very different slant between the games). Actually, I think I liked both the cyberpunk and the fantasy in Dreamfall better - TLJ did the setting very well, but didn't actually make much use of the cyberpunk setting in the storyline, whereas in Dreamfall the post-apoc and authoritarian-state nature of Stark has a lot more direct relevance to the plot. I'm also just a sucker for wanky can't-figure-out-what-the-fuck-is-going-on plotlines.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Hey, since Armed and Dangerous was mentioned, what about it's spiritual predecessor Giants: Citizen Kabuto. Also, if you've never played a JRPG before then they'd probably seem fairly creative.

The Legacy of Kain series is a pretty cool dark fantasy setting. No elves or dwarves.

Battlezone, the 90s game, has a cool setting of Cold War in Space, and cool gameplay that plays off of it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Alpha Centauri has one of the best alien-world sci-fi settings I've seen in a game, backed up by the outstanding lore. The setting was inspired by some books by Heinlein so that explains.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Aw yes. Alpha Centauri is awesome. I really liked Space Empires V too though it was horrible complicated to get into, and I guess the setting was somewhat generic given that you could basically create it yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom