Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that take over half an hour to get going

denizsi

Arcane
When was the last time there was a complex game that required you to read the manual before playing? From before 15+ years doesn't count.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
War Plan Orange? Battles in Italy? Airborne Assault?

Practically any decent wargame. Amusingly, they almost never come with printed manuals. Actually, the probability of printed manual being in game box is reversely proportional to price and complication level of the game.

LazyD

Liturgist
long install times? Get on a raid configuration idiots.

LazyD said:
long install times? Get on a raid configuration idiots.

The times have nothing to do with hard drive speed. Copying 10 gig files takes a minute or two, installing a 200 meg patch should not take 45 mins.

LazyD

Liturgist
my install time were cut in half after I got on a raid.

Melcar

Arcane
Installers are simply file extractors with shinny interfaces. Faster HDD/RAID does improve speeds for these type of operations. The problem is when said installer is a buggy and inefficient piece of crapware. InstallShield is pretty good, but some third party crap many game companies use are shit, which is the main cause for faulty game/patch installations; this is sometimes compounded by the fact that some game companies do a shitty job at compressing their games/patches.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
denizsi said:
When was the last time there was a complex game that required you to read the manual before playing? From before 15+ years doesn't count.

Frankly, i never read a manual, except for BGII, that i am currently playing. Obviously not for the gameplay.

LazyD said:
my install time were cut in half after I got on a raid.

Installers I've never had problems with, always done in a few minutes. Its patches that are getting ridiculous. For some its like after every byte the patch changes it needs to save the copy to disk, flush the RAM and load up the file again completely.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
denizsi said:
There was a "free weekend trial" offer for Age of Conan so I decided to have a go at it. After downloading 13 gb of game files for a day and installing it for almost an hour, I was required to download 3+ gb of updates to be able to play it.
This is depressing and frustrating to hear. I haven't bothered buying or downloading any of the newer games (including Dragon Age, although I wanted to play for the lulz) for this reason. The worst part of it all is that, for example, Conan doesn't even make for a good multiplayer game. Good games worth their weight in hard-drive space are far and few between; and we have to navigate through a mire of shit to get to them. Children, what has become of thee?
moses_1.jpg

A user named cat

You know, why don't more games do what Sims 2 did? I mean having a mini-game in the installer, gives you something to do instead of thumbing your butthole while waiting. Sure it was just a simple match game, but it was something. I can't remember any other game ever doing that either, such a great and simple idea too.

A user named cat

Really? That's even better, Breakout is awesome once in a while. Any other games then?

Red Alerts had "interactive" installations. I kinda miss that.

Though nowodays I just start the install and alt-tab back to the Internet.

bhlaab

Erudite
You said it yourself. They had to compress 15gb of data onto a 7gb disc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom