Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with Christmas specials

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Every now and again, when I play some games around Christmas, it turns out that quite a few of them have various easter eggs that activate only during that particular time. Although I'm sure it is but a sheer coincidence that only old games have them *glares*

I particularly laughed last year when I loaded up Crusader: No Regret, and it greeted me with a secret track:

Another one is Tyrian, where you can activate 'Christmas Mode' that changes all guns to candy canes, snowballs, etc

The main menu screen in Worms Armageddon also changes slightly.

7669-worms-armageddon-windows-screenshot-main-menu-there-are-plenty.gif

^ While usually you have mostly random things falling in the backgrounds, during Christmas it always snows.

I also think I remember a Christmas special in one of the build engine shooters, although I don't recall which one and how it worked.

Post some more!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think there were Sierra games that had holiday easter eggs (not just Christmas, but also Halloween and possibly others). Sceptic might know more.

Multi-headed Cow

Like Desktop Commander mentioned, all I particularly remember is RotT having Christmas easter egg. I know there were others since I have dim memories of 'em but it never was something that really stuck out to me.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Must fight sclerosis.

Some roguelikes granted special bonuses/gifts/attribute boosts upon creating charachters on specific dates, including Christmas.

98,3% sure that was the case in ADOM
73,1% sure the same goes for Elona

Astral Rag

Arcane

Lemmings and Jazz Jackrabbit have nice Christmas specials.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm pretty sure you were thinking of Rise of the Triad:

Nope, the last time I played RotT was like 10+ years ago, so definitely not that. If anything, it would be Blood, Duke 3D or Shadow Warrior, and I think it was as small as a 'merry Christmas' during the DOS loading window. But then again, I might just as well be confusing it with sth else.

Stronghold: Crusader has this:

That's a good one :thumbsup:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Every now and again, when I play some games around Christmas, it turns out that quite a few of them have various easter eggs that activate only during that particular time. Although I'm sure it is but a sheer coincidence that only old games have them *glares*

Terraria (2011) has a Christmas mode that not only spawns a special Santa NPC, but lets every critter have a drop chance for a "present" which contains Christmas-themed goodies. Candy cane-weapons, ugly Christmas sweaters and a Red Ryder BB Gun are a few examples. Monsters also dress up in Santa clothes or have fancy ribbons tied around them.

Serious Sam 3 (2011) has Christmas trees that only appear during the season, and achievements connected to them if the player decides to "decorate" them with gibs from enemies.

Various online games also have some kind of Christmas, giving away free stuff every season.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Black&White 1 played on April 1st makes your creature leave smiley faces footprints as it walks. Nothing for christmas though.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stronghold Crusader 2 says "Merry christmas my lord!" when you start it. It also said "It's halloween my lord!" when I started it at halloween.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
They added some Xmas shit to CSGO too, snow falling in the background while in the menu, and a few decorations around the maps, and this shit in the screenshot.

A4276943945F4A473C6A6FBD6C5B5DDF22CEE72C

EE99289EF2F093267F74F1E8B5AF36E39D7B8455

Nothing will ever beat this, from the golden days of CoD4:

Bare_Load_Screen_Winter_Crash_CoD4.jpg

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
A, uh... friend told me that Corruption of Champions has a snow man/woman you can build around Christmas, as well as various other holiday themed encounters.

DramaticPopcorn

itcH3Pb.jpg

Supreme Commander has some of its resources appear as gifts on skirmish maps <3

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Lots of games with Xmas themes, but are there any actual Christmas video games that aren't made by some Christian company?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom