Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpot: KOTOR 2=More of the same

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
"I guess they bet their money on "don't fix what aint broken" which wasn't the smartest thing to do, considering how much was actually broken."

Your opinion is both unimportant in the rgand scale of things and plainly stupid. Most people loved KOTOR and din't find it was broekn at all. Hate (actually I don't) to break it to you; but Obsidian didn't design KOTOR2 for VD; but for KOTOR1 fans.
Never said that my opinion was important. Anyway, so far I don't see any "OMG! It's the bestest game evar reviews", I see "Meh! it's sorta the same" rather negative reviews that award the game high scores for some reasons. That was my point. One good thing about Bio is that Bio's never released the same game twice.

"Yet, if the gameplay's unchanged, there won't be many applications for the improved skills."

Can'y speak about how often theya re sued but skills are now used in dialogue. One example is that awareness being used more than once in early dialogues according to someone who has played the game.
Im talking about gameplay-affecting stuff. As the reviewer said "these are good in theory, but don't have a particularly noticeable effect in practice." Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. We'll see in Feb.

"Although everyone loved NWN when it came out, people were trashing it (the OC) by the time HotU hit the shelves."

Wrong. The same people who were trashing it were when it first came out were the same ones whow ere trashing it later on. A handful of reviewers lessened their praise of it though later on. This occurs for most any game after hype dies down.
I have posted a couple of links for you before. Here is another http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3751

NWN: The 60-hour campaign included with "NWN" isn't superfluous. It's long, bold, and features the kind of slick storytelling BioWare is known for. You can create any character race and class you like and immediately you're immersed in the story line.

SoU: Lame. Dull. These are words that come to mind when we think of the single-player adventure released with the original "Neverwinter Nights" title.

Meh. It was obvious to anyone with half a brain that it be 'more of the same" just hoepfully improved in the little things. ie. the inventory thing fixed, more use out of skills, mini games being more optional; shit like that. If you wanted a brand new experience buy a different game.
Thanks for the advice. What would I do without you?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Anyway, so far I don't see any "OMG! It's the bestest game evar reviews", I see "Meh! it's sorta the same" rather negative reviews that award the game high scores for some reasons."

Actually. If you read the review proeprly; you'd see why they gave it such a high score. They feel it's as good as KOTOR1. It loses points though because though it's just as good it is more of the same. Bottom line is they like the game a lot; but it's misisng that special oomph of a non sequel. go figure.

I've been saying this forever. KOTOR2 is a sequel on the same exact engine. What did people expect? R00fles!

"Im talking about gameplay-affecting stuff."

Last I checked, dialogue can effect game play. Next. Awareness is also supposed to help you find 'secreT doors" and other such crap along with the usual mines.

"I have posted a couple of links for you before. "

Read the aprt of my post you quoted. I did afterall mention a 'handful' of reviewers who magically changed their minds. Pay attention.

"Thanks for the advice. What would I do without you?"

The same thing you do with all BIo games. Whine about them pre release. Buy them anyways. Whine about them post release. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Next.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Im talking about gameplay-affecting stuff.

Well, K2 sounds much like FO2 to me.

Nothing really new, just more stuff. Like FO2, K2 got it's NPC system tweaked and now has more NPCs that K1, more equipment, inventory and interface tweaks, etc. And much like FO2, the bugs are still there.

Something that K2, according to the devs, tried to do that FO2 didn't bother with was to fix "broken" skills by giving them new uses. Demo can blow open sealed doors, awareness gives you new dialogue options, etc

Also the reviews seem to indicate that the dialogue trees in K2 are much deeper, which is something that would be VERY welcomed by me. K1 was lacking quite a bit in that regard.

I've been saying this forever. KOTOR2 is a sequel on the same exact engine. What did people expect? R00fles!

While it's the same engine in general, there isn't any massive graphics overhaul, Akari seemed to indicate that they did quite o bit of work on it. Tho, he said most of that was to allow the engine to handle more stuff (bigger maps, more npcs, etc) while still being the same speed as K1.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Bottom line is they like the game a lot; but it's misisng that special oomph of a non sequel. go figure.
Well, BG2 wasn't criticized for being a sequel, now was it? FO2, on the other hand, was also a "more of the same" game. I wonder what else K2 and FO2 have in common?

Like I said, BG2 was more then BG1 repackaged, HotU, according to you, was a much better game then NWN OC and SoU combined, etc.

Last I checked, dialogue can effect game play. Next. Awareness is also supposed to help you find 'secreT doors" and other such crap along with the usual mines.
It's not what I meant. Of course, there are little things here and there that affect the gameplay, but if it's the same overall, these abilities don't mean much.

Take BL for example. Malks have a nifty "notice the sparkly stuff" ability. Does it really affect the gameplay? Nope. Same with K2. If you can find secret doors that help you handle missions differently, that's great. If you can only find secret doors leading to some generic loot, then who cares?

Read the aprt of my post you quoted. I did afterall mention a 'handful' of reviewers who magically changed their minds. Pay attention.
What is a handful? 1, 2? 10? Out of how many? Anyway, I didn't say that everyone said that NWN sucked, but many did, and that proved the point I made.

The same thing you do with all BIo games. Whine about them pre release. Buy them anyways. Whine about them post release.
It's called criticism, Volourn, that kinda goes well with what I do around here. I wouldn't have finished Bloodlines, but I wanted to say a few words about the game, and I hate to do that without having all the facts.

Vault Dweller

Developer
kumquatq3 said:
Well, K2 sounds much like FO2 to me.

Nothing really new, just more stuff. Like FO2, K2 got it's NPC system tweaked and now has more NPCs that K1, more equipment, inventory and interface tweaks, etc. And much like FO2, the bugs are still there.
I thought the same thing.

Something that K2, according to the devs, tried to do that FO2 didn't bother with was to fix "broken" skills by giving them new uses. Demo can blow open sealed doors, awareness gives you new dialogue options, etc

Also the reviews seem to indicate that the dialogue trees in K2 are much deeper, which is something that would be VERY welcomed by me. K1 was lacking quite a bit in that regard.
If dialogues are deep and great indeed, and they should be, then I don't really care about any of the other stuff.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Well, BG2 wasn't criticized for being a sequel, now was it? FO2, on the other hand, was also a "more of the same" game. I wonder what else K2 and FO2 have in common?"

Considering that FO2 is tied with BG2 as my fave RPGs; the fact that KOTOR2 follows FO2's pattern of being "more of the same" simply doesn't bother me much if at all.

"What is a handful? 1, 2? 10? Out of how many? Anyway, I didn't say that everyone said that NWN sucked, but many did, and that proved the point I made."

You amde it sound like some huge number who originally liked the OC all of assuddden changed their minds en masse. That simply isn't the case. Period.

"It's called criticism, Volourn, that kinda goes well with what I do around here. I wouldn't have finished Bloodlines, but I wanted to say a few words about the game, and I hate to do that without having all the facts."

There's criticism then their is whining. The fact you whine before, during, and after buying BIO games lessens the effect of said complaints even if some of them are actually justified criticism. It be like taking someone like Shadow Paldin's criticisms of Troika games seriosuly when it's so obvious he's ant Troika no matter. Same with you and others when it comes to BIO yet you continue to buy their games just because you can. The same goes with Dragon Age. Though we don't know much about the game you guys still find things to whine about; but will buy it anyways. Period.

R00fles!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Considering that FO2 is tied with BG2 as my fave RPGs; the fact that KOTOR2 follows FO2's pattern of being "more of the same" simply doesn't bother me much if at all.
Considering that you think that FO2 is better than FO1, a lot of things don't bother you. Maybe having low standards is good. :lol:

You amde it sound like some huge number who originally liked the OC all of assuddden changed their minds en masse. That simply isn't the case. Period.
I didn't. You assumed something. Now deal with it :wink:

There's criticism then their is whining. The fact you whine before, during, and after buying BIO games lessens the effect of said complaints even if some of them are actually justified criticism.
Sorry for spoiling your "talking out my ass again" event, but can we have some links please. Shouldn't be that difficult.

It be like taking someone like Shadow Paldin's criticisms of Troika games seriosuly when it's so obvious he's ant Troika no matter.
Heh, Shadow Paladin is quite a character indeed. His stupidity was legendary.

Same with you and others when it comes to BIO yet you continue to buy their games just because you can.
I told you many times before: Bio games are mediocre RPGs, but great adventure games. I happened to like adventure games. So what? Why do we cover them? I told you the official guideline many times, and frankly I don't care, because it's fun making fun of Bio. Does that answer all your questions for today?

The same goes with Dragon Age. Though we don't know much about the game you guys still find things to whine about; but will buy it anyways. Period.
Yep, of course I will, and it better have something I can whine about or I will demand a refund! :lol:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I wonder how much of Obsidian's vision of KotORII was stifled by Lucas Arts.

I'll assume the finished product made by Obsidian for Lucas Arts is what they wanted, and like.

Hopefully they didn't stifle MCA too much on the storyline.

Anyways, Gamespy sucks, they gave Anarchy Online at release a 9.0. :roll:

I'll assume Gamespot were looking for their usual dev ass to lick, and Obsidian didn't oblige. Thus low rating. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Considering that you think that FO2 is better than FO1, a lot of things don't bother you. Maybe having low standards is good."

You are the one with low standards. You actaully think that TOEE is a great RPG and had challenging combat! R00fles! Besides, anyone who prefers the 10 hour FO to the masterpiece that is FO2 is the one with low standards. D0uble R00fles!

"Sorry for spoiling your "talking out my ass again" event, but can we have some links please. Shouldn't be that difficult."

You denying that you whine about BIO games? Hahahaha. Your denial and emanding of links proves you are posting nonsense.

"Yep, of course I will, and it better have something I can whine about or I will demand a refund!"

Half jokingly or not; yous till gonan deny not whining about BIO games pre or after release? Hahaha.

"I wonder how much of Obsidian's vision of KotORII was stifled by Lucas Arts.

I'll assume the finished product made by Obsidian for Lucas Arts is what they wanted, and like.

Hopefully they didn't stifle MCA too much on the storyline."

Oooo. Poor little developer. Waaa waaa waaa! Always blame the publisher. Hahaha. No. If KOTOR2 isn't as good as it could be; I say blame the dev. Period. I wish people would stop crying about the Big bad Evil Publisher tm. It's completely stupid.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
You are the one with low standards. You actaully think that TOEE is a great RPG and had challenging combat!
Correction: I think it's a great TB dungeon crawler (there is obviously a difference), and could offer a challenging combat unless you play with a vanilla setup :wink: As I told you before, if you get to the guard tower before you get fireball, the fight is very tough. If you camp, like you did, and go there when you are lvl10, then it's obviously very easy.

Besides, anyone who prefers the 10 hour FO to the masterpiece that is FO2 is the one with low standards. D0uble R00fles!
10 hours? Masterpiece? R00fles indeed.

You denying that you whine about BIO games? Hahahaha. Your denial and emanding of links proves you are posting nonsense.
How convinient.

Half jokingly or not; yous till gonan deny not whining about BIO games pre or after release? Hahaha.
I prefer to think of it as criticism

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"If you camp, like you did, and go there when you are lvl10, then it's obviously very easy."

You were spying on me while I played the game? Until you give me evidenc eof me 'camping' you won't get any links from me of your whining.

R00fles!

"10 hours?"

Or 20 if you take your sweet time. The game was short. Deal with it.

"Masterpiece?"

Yes. Other than the SF bug, and the Final Boss tm. FO2 was *easily* a masterpiece.

FireWolf

Liturgist
Out of curiosity, do you people feel that sequels should be classed as new games, or as expansion packs and priced and marketed accordingly? Most sequels cash-in in a relatively short time after the release of the original, to piggyback of the success of that title while it is still fresh. To me, kotor2 doesn't sound like a new game. They've enhanced the engine which ran Kotor, added a few tweaks, a new story and new content but there's no real defining element which sets this game from kotor.

From these reviews it appears the interesting features that Ob put into the game were interesting in concept, most likely wel executed, yet the game shied away from making them too integral to playing the game for fear of damaging the forumla of the predecessor. The ideas are interesting and workable. It seems, at least to me, that ob hyped up these features and put a lot of work into them because they felt they would make the game better. I see no reason why they'd add these items and have them almost superfluous to the actual game by design.

The original Kotor probably attained higher praise than it truely warrented. Why it was lauded so highly is probably because, compared to the recent lucasarts titles it was extremely well executed. It was set in a period not addressed by previous titles and thus, was fresh while being recognizable as Star Wars. Kotor 2 probably has a harder time of it. People expect to have the same sense of freshness and craftmanship of the original, with bells on but don't want the game to shoot off into a new genre.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find another genre classification for Kotors 1 & 2 other than action RPG. They're story-driven combat fests. If you expect and guage the game on niche CRPG standards for dialgue, cunning skill use and complexity of plot you're going to be dissapointed. It is a genre cross-breed, designed for mass-market appeal entertainment.

I've said it before and I say so again, the RPG genre is too diluted. There's too much diversity within the genre since different people have different concepts of what an RPG actuallly is.

This was only supposed to be a two sentence post.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
FireWolf said:
Out of curiosity, do you people feel that sequels should be classed as new games, or as expansion packs and priced and marketed accordingly?
It depends on the game. Just how much money and effort was put into the sequel, though that's just my opinion. I'm sure if you asked developers and publishers they would more than likely disagree, though at times they are willing to acquiesce to my view. Just look at Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna for an example.

FireWolf said:
From these reviews it appears the interesting features that Ob put into the game were interesting in concept, most likely wel executed, yet the game shied away from making them too integral to playing the game for fear of damaging the forumla of the predecessor. The ideas are interesting and workable. It seems, at least to me, that ob hyped up these features and put a lot of work into them because they felt they would make the game better. I see no reason why they'd add these items and have them almost superfluous to the actual game by design.
I know Volourn would disagree with me, but I truly believe that was the intention of LucasArts. They saw just how highly praised the original was and told Obsidian to stick with the formula. I would wager that's probably the main reason some of the more interesting features such as influence are not an integral game concept. Hopefully for Obsidian, this title can be considered more of a research project. Getting feedback on the influence system might allow them to develop a future title where that gameplay element is more tightly coupled with the rest of the gameplay.

FireWolf said:
The original Kotor probably attained higher praise than it truely warrented. Why it was lauded so highly is probably because, compared to the recent lucasarts titles it was extremely well executed. It was set in a period not addressed by previous titles and thus, was fresh while being recognizable as Star Wars. Kotor 2 probably has a harder time of it. People expect to have the same sense of freshness and craftmanship of the original, with bells on but don't want the game to shoot off into a new genre.
The original KOTOR most definitely receieved higher praise than it deserved, but then again I think most games tend to. I prefer a system of rating that tries to be more absolute than the systems out there. If a game rates in the 8.5-10.0 area it should be a game of such great caliber that no matter what year you play it in, it's still an amazing game. I truly don't believe graphics should hold such a high position in the measure of a game's score. There are plenty of older games that can easily be plugged in and enjoyed, yet if you look at the graphics you will be greatly disappointed. Maybe there could be a relative score as well, one that accounts for games that have been released within the last year or two in which you might consider graphics. The relative score could simply pit the current crop of games against each other so that if you really want a new game to play, you have a way of choosing among the games.

Ultimately people play games because they are fun. I don't care what graphics whores have to say, if a game doesn't have fun gameplay it turns into a short lived extremely faint memory. That can be fine if you are in a fix and want a new game, but don't have one, yet if you are more selective for whatever reason, then wouldn't you want something that you can enjoy for a longer period of time.

FireWolf said:
I've said it before and I say so again, the RPG genre is too diluted. There's too much diversity within the genre since different people have different concepts of what an RPG actuallly is.
I don't take as much of an issue with the genre being diluted. Inevitably all genres become diluted. Head to your local movie rental store and you'll see what I mean. Look in any genre section and more than likely you'll find a whole slew of movies that seem to fit into multiple genres, yet they have to decide a single genre to put the movie in. Genres are imperfect, that's why reading reviews is so important. Just looking at the score of the game, simply won't cut it either since a score can't tell you about gameplay, only the meat of the review can. More and more, I'm beginning to prefer the system that Moby Games has. They have games categorized by a main genre and a sub-genre. It seems to make sense. Most things don't fit into one genre neatly. Now, I do believe genres should have definite meanings though, such as RPGs should be categorized by the value of the role-playing, action games should be categorized by combat, etc. Though just because a game holds a specific genre label, it doesn't fully describe the game. That's what reviews should be for, but most reviewers aren't very good at giving an accurate description of gameplay.

Video game reviewers in my opinion seem to be in a state of infancy rather than the maturity of the media and entertainment sectors. It doesn't seem that reviewers (even for some of the bigger publications) are hired on their ability to accurately portray a game. Instead they seem to look at writing ability and the willingness to play games, which just isn't enough of a criteron to go by. Spouting florid prose isn't why I read a review; it can add to the review it just isn't the sole reason to read the review. I want something with substance which I don't believe most gaming outlets yet comprehend. Ideally that will change more and more as the industry continues to mature.

FireWolf said:
Wow no kidding. I need to end my rant now, before I start foaming at the mouth and type up a manifesto.

kris

Arcane
Mendoza said:
Vault Dweller said:
It's if Bio released a clone of NWN OC instead of HotU. Although everyone loved NWN when it came out, people were trashing it (the OC) by the time HotU hit the shelves.

I wouldn't put the KotOR on the same level as the NWN OC. It wasn't perfect, but I thought KotOR was very good.

For me it was the other way around. I found the story (except the twist) in KOTOR to be clearly better than NWN which didn't feel as engaging. It is possible that it was due to presentation as I felt the tight presentation of KOTOR kept the emphasis on the story. Also that you had plot important characters with you on quests made them more involving in contrast to NWN where you had to run and talk to them.

I am sure to put KOTOR2 on preorder as I really liked the first and also believe this will be a improvement on the first.

Stark

Liturgist
FireWolf said:
Out of curiosity, do you people feel that sequels should be classed as new games, or as expansion packs and priced and marketed accordingly?

you mean specifically in this case (kotor2)?

if the latter has sufficiently long gameplay time (comparable to the predecessor) i suppose i dun mind it marketed as sequel.

from what we've read so far there're few defining features for kotor2 to be qualified as a sequel. then again Obsidian need the $$$.

keeping in mind kotor and kotor2 are xbox games too, just how do you market expansions for x-box games?

FireWolf said:
The original Kotor probably attained higher praise than it truely warrented.

true. I've just started playing Kotor (pc version) and i stopped at 2nd chapter, and i dread playing it again. So much for the amazing scores it garnered from various game review sites.

FireWolf said:

ha!

Vault Dweller

Developer
FireWolf said:
Out of curiosity, do you people feel that sequels should be classed as new games, or as expansion packs and priced and marketed accordingly
It really depends on a game. Some games like Fallout 2 are of "more of the same" variety that offer little or nothing new, regardless of the length; some games like BG2 feature a lot of improvements and additions and play like a different game, regardless of the engine. PST, while not a sequel, is a good example of how a game based on the same engine and featuring basically the same gameplay style and ruleset can create a totally different gameplay experience.

To me, kotor2 doesn't sound like a new game. They've enhanced the engine which ran Kotor, added a few tweaks, a new story and new content but there's no real defining element which sets this game from kotor.
Looks like it, I guess the story and the NPCs will be the determining factor

FireWolf

Liturgist
I think the DS expansion sort of exemplifies my problem with marketing new content to an existing titles as a sequel. But from the opposite side. That expansion was more of the same of DS, just new textures, a few new movies and minor gameplay alterations. It is a stopping point in the evolution of the game. LoA was sold in the UK for the same price as a new title, even though it was an expansion.

When does an expansion become a sequel? Does a new story jusify the title as a new game?

Do you feel that the changes in Kotor2 couldn't have been a fan made mod or an expansion pack? Really a question for those who've played it.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Didn't LoA include DS? You could question the decision to bundle them but it doesn't sound unreasonable to price original + expansion at full retail.

Vault Dweller

Developer
FireWolf said:
That expansion was more of the same of DS, just new textures, a few new movies and minor gameplay alterations.
Well, DS was crap, so it doesn't surprise me that anything related to it was crap as well.

When does an expansion become a sequel? Does a new story jusify the title as a new game?
That depends on a story. There are games like Diablo where the story is non-existent, and there are games like PST where the story and personalities are outstanding.

Do you feel that the changes in Kotor2 couldn't have been a fan made mod or an expansion pack? Really a question for those who've played it.
Considering that we haven't seen any fan made mods for KOTOR ( or for Fallout for example) the question is pointless.

Dhruin said:
Didn't LoA include DS? You could question the decision to bundle them but it doesn't sound unreasonable to price original + expansion at full retail.
While it may sound reasonable, considering the crappyness of the expansion, it was just an excuse to sell the original game at full price again.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Vault Dweller said:
Considering that we haven't seen any fan made mods for KOTOR ( or for Fallout for example) the question is pointless.
Actually, there's tons of fan made mods for KOTOR. All of them are bad however.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom