Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview GameSpot looks for and finds depth in Dungeon Lords

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Dungeon Lords; Heuristic Park Inc.

<a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> posted <a href=http://www.heuristicpark.com>Dungeon Lords</a> E3 preshow <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dungeonlords/preview_6096489.html>impressions</a>. In case you didn't know, <a href=http://www.heuristicpark.com>Dungeon Lords</a> is <i>an action game with the epic depth of a role-playing game</i>. Now, I know there are some very skeptical people who would say that an action game couldn't have any role-playing depth, and they would be <b>wrong</b>! We have proof!
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>But in keeping with Bradley's roots, Dungeon Lords should pack a lot of role-playing depth; it's not just a simple hack-and-slash action game. You can select from eight playable races, some nonhuman, and you can choose a gender. You'll also be able to select from a wide variety of classes, each with unique abilities and attributes. The game will also offer an intricate magic system--based on four schools of magic--with plenty of spells and spell effects. </blockquote>Eight races! Some even nonhuman! (which makes sense, because 8 human races would be boring) And even a gender! On top of that, you get classes and spells that come with their very own spell effects! If that aint indepth hardcore role-playing, I honestly don't know what is.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
These crappy reviews are really starting to get to me. Can't we talk about Interplay going under some more? That is far more entertaining than hearing what morons have to say about crappy games.

Voss

Erudite
So, it looks and plays like an action game. But apparently thats only a secret identity... at night, when you aren't actually playing it, it turns into an RPG.
Maybe, just maybe I misremembering Bradley's roots. But all I remember from Wizardry games and W&W was killing things and finding clues, well and wandering completely aimlessly until enough clues accumulate to give a vague idea of whats going on.

Its a hardcore action rpg with a soft chewy centre. It cries at romance movies and likes puppies and flowers, when its not eating babies and raping cats. I am so sick of this kind of bullshit. I prefered it years ago when there would only be one or two games every six months you would hear about, you'd wait and wait and it would be amazing. Now we are flooded with so much of this shit I feel like just letting go and drowning.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Country_Gravy said:
These crappy reviews are really starting to get to me. Can't we talk about Interplay going under some more? That is far more entertaining than hearing what morons have to say about crappy games.
Watch your tone, boy! You are talking about GameSpot here, the best premiere online information resource place Where Gamers Go to Know. So while it may look like the preview was written by a retarded person who doesn't have a clue, it's most certainly not. Got it? :lol:

I think reviews should all be in haiku form:

NWN would go:

Graphics of blind chicken
Gameplay stiff like rulers edge
bioware must taste death

Fallout

Heavens grace takes form
Vaults a home away from home
Shoot children its fun

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
GS said:
not just a simple hack-and-slash action game. You can select from eight playable races, some nonhuman, and you can choose a gender.

Holy shit, that's soooo complicated, 8 races!! That's enough role-playing for the whole game, after completing this complicated quest using my own personnal taste I'll only want to hack n slash lame monsters!

This reminds me of FOPOS's "complicated" fighting system involving melee and ranged weapons!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
The only thing complicated about FOBOS was the poor control scheme. I love it when poorly designed control schemes try to pass themselves off as being 'complex' and 'requires user interaction'.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Sexist discriminating news source said:
and you can choose a gender.

A gender? As in choosing between two genders? When will game developers ever learn! Clearly, two genders are not enough options to satisfy today's hardcore role-playing audience, but we also must not forget the homo/trans-sexual communities. This lack of gender role choices is clearly bordering on discrimination. Gay roleplayers worldwide demand action!

Dingusamongus

Novice
Those Haikus do not SUCKLE!

Right on Haikus Elvander! When I read the final line of Fallout, "Shoot children its fun", I experienced satori! Or maybe I just crapped my pants? It's so hard to tell with those mind expanding/bowel exploding moments.

Cheers,

Ding

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom