Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review GameSpot trashes COPS 2170

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: MISTLand; Power of Law: COPS: 2170

<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a> have posted a thoroughly negative <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/cops2170thepoweroflaw/review.html>review</a> of COPS 2170: Power of Law, the new TB RPG dealie game from the land of insane games, Russia. They really hated it and rate the game a meager <b>4.2/10</b>.<blockquote>Cops 2170 is the story of Katy, a young police academy graduate out to tackle a corrupt and dangerous world. You control Katy, as well as the members of the squad she recruits, as they battle crime in both the upper and lower parts of the futuristic city that they protect. One of the few interesting features in the game is the branching storyline, which lets you decide which factions you want Katy to assist. Do you assist the corrupt cops? Then again, are they really corrupt? Katy's naïve outlook on the world opens up some interesting questions as to who you can really trust. However, this glimmer of interesting potential is wasted, as it doesn't take long after the first mission for the plot to collapse in a convoluted mess involving mutants, evil corporations, corrupt cops, bloodthirsty robots, evil clowns, gun-toting giant rats, and more.</blockquote>There must be something in the water over in Russia, because all their games seem to be completely insane.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
COPS2170 is fine. GameSpot and IGN just need a few 'patsy' titles to knock around every couple of months to make their site look like it doesn't give favors to publishers.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
from those who have played it, so which is it? good or not?

ive seen a couple of reviews (might have been the ign and gamespot ones) totally crucify the game, yet from previews that ive read about it the concept sounds very intriguing.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Mizter Exitium, ve hav been vatching you for a vhile. Vould you like to join my organisation :wink:

Free members benefits, like grief from people with supposedly "good" taste. And training in ze discipline of "Defending ze Indefensible"
Vorkshop starts at Vun a.m. behind ze Nuclear Powerplant.
Zee you there :wink:

Over and out.

Stark

Liturgist
Shagnak said:
Mizter Exitium, ve hav been vatching you for a vhile. Vould you like to join my organisation :wink:

Free members benefits, like grief from people with supposedly "good" taste. And training in ze discipline of "Defending ze Indefensible"
Vorkshop starts at Vun a.m. behind ze Nuclear Powerplant.
Zee you there :wink:

Over and out.

by any chance you're a vampire from Discworld? :shock:

LlamaGod

Cipher
There's nothing really bad about Cops, just all the media reviewers play it for like 30 minutes and dont read the manual or try to understand anything and just go OMG THERE IS TURNS THIS SUX LOL!!11 or they are retarded and dont know how to play to story points (which isnt hard, but I can see how a moron would get stranded).

There's a few weird enemies here and there like the rats with machine guns on their back, but shit, it's sci-fi cyberpunk. Nobody gives a shit when rats have crossbows in fantasy, so why is it suddenly so bad for cybernetic rats to have machine guns on their back?

You just need to know how to play and you get great urban turn-based combat with some stastical stuff to back it up, and the characters are pretty cool. Charly's attitude about stuff can be funny sometimes, I think.

I'm helping in Syndicate in my game and i'd say you'd definately have to be a #1 moron to 'get tangled in a mess of plots' or whatever. It's pretty clear stuff: Syndicate are bad dudes and Katy doesnt really trust them, but you can still go work for them (kill the mutants for example), so you can pick to either help them out and kill the mutants or just kill them because they're underhanded. It's not very hard...

And for a side note, the robotic enemies make up for all the few wacky ones, they are awesome looking and their textures are cool.

Fez

Erudite
I remember Pratchett saying in an interview once that his books were the most shoplifted in the country. He seemed quite proud of it. :)

Balor

Arcane
Oh, it's Paradise Cracked:Power of Law renamed!
Btw, what the hell is GameFactory? It's developed by MiST land South.
However, while like by some, it's did receive some rather negative remarks in Russia as well, like 65% on AG.ru (the user rating is nice 81%, tho).
Among them are luck of tactics, 'last alien' problem, etc.. but some players are willing to ignore that, as it seems.
Looks like your typical niche market game. Haven't played it myself, so cannot comment that on that.

callehe

Liturgist
Fez said:
I remember Pratchett saying in an interview once that his books were the most shoplifted in the country. He seemed quite proud of it. :)

I think he also said that if he'd known that his disc world books would become so popular, he would have made them better. :)

Although imo they're as good as can be.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
It's a good game. I really enjoyed it and look forward to getting back to it after I'm done with SoE and KOTOR 2. It's nothing super spectacular or I'd probably still be playing it at the moment, but it is a decent turn-based strategy game. Some of the animations are pretty bleh and the voice acting needs help, but other than that, no problems that I've seen.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I bought a total of 10 Discworld books when I went to Kinokuniya in KL the other day, raising my total Terry Pratchett book count to 23 or so. I've not really counted. Unfortunately they only had the American covers and not the brilliant covers by Josh Kirby. Ah well, at least I have them.

I still need to get Going Postal and The Lost Hero, though, which are only available in hardcover for the moment.

Fez

Erudite
Going Postal is great, I just finished reading that. I ended up getting it in hardback as I couldn't wait. :D

You won't be dissapointed with it.

Also read just before it The Wee Free Men and Nanny Ogg's Cookbook. All great fun.

I like Paul Kidby's art too. He's a good replacement for Josh Kirby. It wouldn't have been right to get someone to imitate him, better a new style. I loved his Night Watch cover.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I'ver never read anything by Pratchett...is it worth it? I remember reading Good Omens (Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman) and not being too impressed since I'd recently read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I've not explored the Discworld series yet.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
My favourite is "Feet of Clay" and generally those about the Watchmen. FoC would be a good introduction to the series imo.

Fez

Erudite
The Watchmen ones are my favourite too. Though some prefer the other series, like death or the witches, or even the more unusual one off books. Start with "Guards! Guards!" if you are going for the watchmen series.

I would also point out it is best if the books are read in order, or at least the series. Otherwise it can spoil the odd bit, though they are perfectly readable on their own.

AZ

Liturgist
Cops isn't that bad. Story is not mutch, but some moments made me smile, there is tb combat, but unpolished, stupid AI, interface looks nice, nice gfx and quick, stabile engine, no game stopping bugs (actually I had not find any).
If you enjoyed futuristic tb games, like Incubation - try it. :wink:
Don't judge by the first mission, it sucks.

Stark

Liturgist
Fez said:
Also read just before it The Wee Free Men and Nanny Ogg's Cookbook. All great fun.

I found Wee Free Men rather boring. got it from a bargain bin.

wish to get Postal though.

Fez

Erudite
Wee Free Men was written so it was readable for a younger audience, so you might not like the change, but I've a weakness for Terry's books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom