Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Genuinely cool and stylish games

The Dig
Flashback
Earthworm Jim 1&2
Shinobi 3
Streeths of Rage 1&2

Romance of Three Kingdoms 11.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26419

1) Art style that is conservative and classy.
2) Nice UI that blends in well with the playing area.
3) Awesome awesome awesome portraits (for important officers they even got an 'aged' portrait which they change to after a certain age.)

118-Zhao-Yun_A.jpg

Young!

118-Zhao-Yun_B.jpg

Old!

4) Novelised AND historical bio for ALL officers (if are into the war history of that time period / differences in the novel).

5) Epic, stirring and most importantly, appropriate music. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ_z_yXCjq0 for a sample)

6) I am not teasing this time there is an English translation patch (as can be seen in the Codex Let's Play linked above by RK47) so you non-slitty eyed people can actually try it if interested. PM me if you don't really know where to start looking for the game.

Oh yes also Audiosurf (http://www.audio-surf.com/), an award winning indie that is a racing game which generates racing tracks based on the rhythm and tempo of any audio media you input. Clean, simple graphics (but not boring) and interesting game modes. You can find many FRAPed audiosurf sessions on youtube if you want a preview.

audio_surf-185296-1.jpeg

You can customise almost every aspect of the color scheme, backgrounds, sound effects and such.

Satori said:
The Dig
Flashback
Earthworm Jim 1&2
Shinobi 3
Streeths of Rage 1&2

I just went through Streets of Rage 2 again recently (I think last or 2 weeks ago) on an emulator. The midi music in every stage is so... engaging.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Audiosurf kicks ass! It's real fun to play it on multiplayer, so you can blame the other guy for doin it wrong.
However, the best thing I've done in it is smoking a doobie and playing Kraftwerk - Autobahn. Major :incline:

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Zeno Clash. Very cool setting, cool characters and story. Unfortunately it lacks a bit in the gameplay department (railroading), but it is well worth checking out.

zenoclash_corwids.jpg

Well, it doesnt have the spy feeling you want, but it's cool and stylish...

Ermm

Erudite
Medievil 1 and 2. Kind of old, but cool nonethless. Definitely like something out of Tim Burton movie. Daniel Fortesque is cool character.

baronjohn

Cipher
I thought System Shock 2 had excellent style. Great environments, characters, interface, and sound.

Earl Shive

Novice
Peter said:
James Bond or Ocean's Eleven vibe?

Evil Genius but it has some AI annoyances and a game takes like 200 hours to complete so it is a mixed bag.

funkadelik

Arcane
Myth 1 or 2 - Awesome Tactical Squad-Based Strategy Game set in Medieval times with
humans, dwarves, etc and the undead.

Worms Armageddon - Fun 2d Turn-Based Sidescrolling Shootem-Up with Worms, also
the most important part, roping and racing other ropers.

Giant: Citizen Kabuto - A very fun TPS multi-player game with 3 factions, one tech
based, one nature-based, and one giant that eats and
stomps the other two while making offspring.No more players
online.

Mirror's Edge - A short but fun FPS that mainly focuses on awesome parkour techniques
and scaling walls/large gaps while running from the police and military.

Sacrifice - A cool TPS/Strategy hybrid using minions, probably no more players online.

Omikron - I remember it being very strange but very attractive at the same time.

Messiah - TPS where you play a baby angel that can possess any NPC and use their special abilities.

There are plenty more but I can think of all of them right now.

(added Messiah)

Project: Eternity
asper said:
Zeno Clash. Very cool setting, cool characters and story. Unfortunately it lacks a bit in the gameplay department (railroading), but it is well worth checking out..
You are my best friend.
Actually, I quite liked the gameplay in Zeno Clash. While the combat was sort of limited, it felt VERY visceral - like your movements actually had weight to them. It's not an RPG, but I hear Zeno Clash 2 is intended to be more of an Elder Scrolls-style "open exploration" RPG.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Jasede said:
Godhand pisses all over Bayonetta. :fanboi:

It always reminds me of that character in Discipline nicknamed Godhand because she can make anyone come with her hand in less than 30 seconds.

Rpgsaurus

Novice
halflingbarbarian said:
Romance of Three Kingdoms 11.

Looks awesome.

Torrented, dl'ing the english language patch.

Back on topic, King of the Dragon Pass is an impeccably stylish game with an original setting and cool art design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom