Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ghostrunner - cyberpunk runner galore

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started playing this and i died like 60 times in the 3rd level. On my friend list, everyone finish it like within less 10 deaths? Wtf am i doing wrong?

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Started playing this and i died like 60 times in the 3rd level. On my friend list, everyone finish it like within less 10 deaths? Wtf am i doing wrong?
I think you see the best value in that list so I think your friends just replayed the level. For the first time sixty deaths doesn't sound outlandish. I think I had close to 200 on the first boss.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
This game is based.
I am a little over halfway through right now after bouncing off it a couple years back. Seeing the sequel trailer inspired me to try again and I'm glad I did. This is a really good case of a dev team staying true to a focused vision and absolutely nailing it.
It's really hard to make progress now because I keep replaying earlier levels trying to improve my performance. I will beat it eventually....

Sequel looks awesome, just hope they didn't listen to the skill issue crowd too much. I've seen a couple reviews from seething journos who clearly couldn't progress very far so that's promising. Not that GR is that hard, its difficulty is exaggerated by many people, but I've noticed the quickness of the respawn system does almost funnel you into trying tricky sections over and over instead of taking a second to lean back and think about the best move. It's quite devious.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Not that GR is that hard, its difficulty is exaggerated by many people, but I've noticed the quickness of the respawn system does almost funnel you into trying tricky sections over and over instead of taking a second to lean back and think about the best move.
The final level is one of the worst things I forced myself to complete. Fortunately they seemed to learn from it since nothing in the DLC is that demanding.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
This game is based.
I am a little over halfway through right now after bouncing off it a couple years back. Seeing the sequel trailer inspired me to try again and I'm glad I did. This is a really good case of a dev team staying true to a focused vision and absolutely nailing it.
It's really hard to make progress now because I keep replaying earlier levels trying to improve my performance. I will beat it eventually....

Sequel looks awesome, just hope they didn't listen to the skill issue crowd too much. I've seen a couple reviews from seething journos who clearly couldn't progress very far so that's promising. Not that GR is that hard, its difficulty is exaggerated by many people, but I've noticed the quickness of the respawn system does almost funnel you into trying tricky sections over and over instead of taking a second to lean back and think about the best move. It's quite devious.
Very true. Ghostrunner also nicely illustrates how good games can be if they focus solely on being games instead of trying to be interactive movies. Ghostrunner tells a very basic story and it doesn't care that its level design is completely unbelievable. It doesn't want to create the illusion of a real world, its levels are designed in a purely functional way. Be sure to check out the DLC once your done. It is good and a bit easier than the main game.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah i just finished the 5th level and surprised how tight everything is. This isnt a game i can play for a long time consecutively, but in short bursts of 1 level per session and i did enjoy those little burst extensively.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The third boss was a bit of a drop in quality and the final level's platforming made me rage harder than anything else in the game, but I still walked away a big fan of this game. Still need to improve my death count on the final few levels and play the Hel DLC. Getting my death count per level from 100 to 10 ranks among the most satisfying gaming experiences I've had.

This was my favorite selection from the soundtrack, but it's bangers all around.

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Completed this two weeks ago. I enjoyed it a lot, but couldn't play it for more than 2 hours in one sitting due to motion sickness. Very immersive and cool though. The level design really picked up after TOM.
little too late, but disable blur - always, in any game (why are they even trying to simulate something that happens naturally, would be like if echo reverberated after every sound)

anyway, tried this first on a friends playstation when it came out, and the platforming was ok, but the combat sections were bullshit hard on a gamepad (maybe just not used to it?) - got it now for free on epic just to see how it is on a kb+m, and was immediately hooked, played it non-stop ever since, did all the achievements, mastered the kill runs, and even done the hardcore mode (the DLC was an OP power trip after that)

once you fully grasp the flow, the base game gets so easy, to the point that you don't even need any of the upgrades anymore - but hardcore mode would be impossible without them (if you though how the last level was dogshit annoying, you ain't seen nothing yet)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom