Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Glittering Gems of Hatred - Dissecting the Fallout Community

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Sometimes people's reputations precede them. In the case of the Fallout community, their reputation as a hostile and bitter fanbase follows the like a bird of prey. But is there any truth behind that? <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/>No Mutants Allowed</a> have written the first part of <a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=34542>Glittering Gems of Hatred - Eleven Angry Guys on a Website</a>, a series of articles which will go into these perceptions and how the fanbase, despite all that, has been instrumental in Fallout's history.

<blockquote>
This is best expressed by the cry of outrage and despair at the cancellation of the game and the firing of all BIS devs in December 2003 shortly after J.E. Sawyer left. The following months were spent on covering the decline of Interplay, including the cancellation of Fallout Brotherhood of Steel 2 (the game which Van Buren had been rumored to be cancelled for) after the flop of BoS. Leaked screenshots and design documentation of Van Buren were also being released. Part of the fanbase was fed up and wanted to move on, but part was reading the documents with interest and while controversy never stopped, the documents in particular brought realisation that this might have been a proper sequel.
</blockquote>

I can't say that I agreed with everything Sawyer was planning to do with Fallout, but at least he wasn't afraid of making a stand. I've yet to see Bethesda make any kind of stand other than "trust us, it will be cool".

Thanks, <b>Kharn</b>!

Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">No Mutants Allowed</A>

suibhne

Erudite
JE also had reasons for his positions, and they had to do with the gameworld - not with what would be cool or what would sell. Whether or not you agreed with his decisions, you had to admit he was dedicated to making a consistent, coherent game - a metric on which Bethesda continues sliding downward.

I remember those days of FOBOS quite well. It seemed as if the Fallout franchise was raped with each bit of information released about the game.

My gut tells me Bethesda's Fallout 3 is going to be on that level.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Another article tooting the horn of FO fanatics. *yawn*

Zomg

Arbiter
I always want Fallout fan articles to note that stuff depicting the end of the world usually attracts a hateful kind of person in the first place. It's for people that are, at least at some level, against life. There are people who like uplifting movies where the end has a montage while Stand by Me plays, and there are people who read Lovecraft and have a love/hate relationship with the heat death of the universe, and these are not the same people.

spacemoose

Erudite
Zomg said:
I always want Fallout fan articles to note that stuff depicting the end of the world usually attracts a hateful kind of person in the first place. It's for people that are, at least at some level, against life. There are people who like uplifting movies where the end has a montage while Stand by Me plays, and there are people who read Lovecraft and have a love/hate relationship with the heat death of the universe, and these are not the same people.

I wouldn't call them hateful - its more of a fatalist romantic mindset

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Volourn said:
Another article tooting the horn of FO fanatics. *yawn*

Yes, after all the mainstream coverage admiring Fallout fans and the many articles defending Fallout viewpoints published over the past few years, we hardly need another one :roll:

There's a fine line between playing the Devil's Advocate and just being a recalcitrant idiot. Are you ever way on the wrong side of it.

Fallout 3 is a lost cause if Bethesda is really using their shitty Oblivion engine.

You could do worse than Gamebryo. What you do with it is more important.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Yes, after all the mainstream coverage admiring Fallout fans and the many articles defending Fallout viewpoints published over the past few years, we hardly need another one

There's a fine line between playing the Devil's Advocate and just being a recalcitrant idiot. Are you ever way on the wrong side of it."

Is that your best cumback? Wipe the white stuff your lips. I don't give ashit about the devil or it's advocate. I call its as I sees it and this 'article' is nothing more 'woe is us FO Fan(atics)'. Boo hoo hoo! Have a tissue for your issueS as you seem to have a lot of them.

It's also sad that unlike the Codex, the article isn't even that well written. :cry: Just a bunch of whining, and crying, and even worse it's got me 'whgining' abouyt you whining and you whining about me whining about you and I'm sure you'll be whining about me whining about you whining about your issues.

R00fles!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Volourn said:
I don't give ashit about the devil or it's advocate. I call its as I sees it

Are you serious? Well, ok then, thanks for admitting you're a moron.

Volourn said:
and this 'article' is nothing more 'woe is us FO Fan(atics)'. Boo hoo hoo! Have a tissue for your issueS as you seem to have a lot of them.

Funny, no actual defense of the fanbase is made in the published part of the article yet, so you obviously didn't even read it.

Volourn said:
It's also sad that unlike the Codex, the article isn't even that well written.

You can tell that without having read it?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Are you serious? Well, ok then, thanks for admitting you're a moron."

If you got that from my post then you surely ar ethe moron as Ia dmitted no such thing... in that post. Idiot.

"Funny, no actual defense of the fanbase is made in the published part of the article yet, so you obviously didn't even read it."

Sure there was. You'd have to be oblivious or retarded not to see. The 'facts' were all presented in such a way to present the FO Fanatics as victims just reacting to the evil, evil deeds of Satan Inc. I'd be shocked if that was not intentionally done on the part of the writer.

"You can tell that without having read it?"

L0L Your best cumback defense is a 'LOL, You couldn't have read it or else you wouldn't be so mean to the FO Fanatics or the stupid article writer.'

Sadly, I am ashamed that I did, in fact, read it. I'm embarrassed to say I wasted a couple of minutes reading that crap. I'd rather read SP's review of NWN 100 more times because that article is actually written intelligently.

Game over, IDIOT, game over.

sheek

Arbiter
Jesus... 'History of the Fallout Community'? In 11 parts? Those NMA people really need to get laid / a life.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I don't know, the article doesn't strike me as biased. It tells the story like it happened. Personally, I don't think all the abuse the Fallout community took over the years is any excuse to be jerks. Everyone has a choice on how they will act.

psycojester

Arbiter
You could do worse than Gamebryo.

Well yeah that is kinda true..... but i would be intrested to see what fallout would be like built around whatever engine Grand Turismo used

Micmu

Magister
Interesting, true and well-written article about the history of FO license and its fanbase.

Of course that won't stop the kids going "LOL 11 angry guyzZz write some fanboi lies again!1" while "reading" the article, no matter what. But this is about to be expected, right?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
I have never seen more acrimonios, intolerant and simply hateful "treatment" of even slightly deviating opinions, including well argued ones, as by Rosh on NMA. As unfortunate as that may be, he has very much shaped my opinion of the FO fanbase. Glittering gems of hatred, indeed!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Rosh has a low tolerance of stupidity. However, assuming that you are correct and he's a horrible example of a human being, don't you think that forming an opinion of a COMMUNITY based on your experience with ONE PERSON is a bit over the top?

Btw, long time no see, welcome back.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
sheek said:
Jesus... 'History of the Fallout Community'? In 11 parts? Those NMA people really need to get laid / a life.
I agree, I guess they ran out of VB design docs by Puuk to post.

Excrément

Arbiter
that reminds me the online diaries (best known as "blog") we found all over the internet where people explain their boring life and no one care.

Ladonna

Arcane
Damn, I was hoping for more of the 'Volourn Vs The Screaming Fuhrer' matchup. Hopefully its just being made using 'episodic content'.

Nice writeup. It filled in a few blanks for me, as I only had a little look in the forums back then so only had a general picture.

Volourn, I am guessing you found it boring because you were part of every forum back then, going in on a daily basis (Even the BOS forum I bet :P ). Not everyone has signed up to every gaming forum and posts 20 times a day in each you know.

sheek

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Rosh has a low tolerance of stupidity. However, assuming that you are correct and he's a horrible example of a human being, don't you think that forming an opinion of a COMMUNITY based on your experience with ONE PERSON is a bit over the top?

I think we can make that generalization, yes...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom