Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I dream that when new Dune movie is out that GoG will use the newfound interest in the setting to release all of the old Dune games.

Herbert's estate owns the old games, as the rights went to them after the license ran out, and they told GOG that they don't want Dune, Dune 2 etc to be rereleased saying "if it's old, it should stay old"...hilarious how there's been reprints of Herbert's books.
Why the hell can we buy the Lynch movie, and that documentary about the earlier Dune production then? Are you saying Universal actually gave Herbert's estate enough of a pile of cash to keep that thing out? What, is Universal's "we don't give a shit" money more than GOG's "let's talk" money?

Universal probably still owns the rights to the film.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're hoping that new film would get new game made, and that rereleasing old games would affect the sales or something.

RuySan

Augur
I dream that when new Dune movie is out that GoG will use the newfound interest in the setting to release all of the old Dune games.

Herbert's estate owns the old games, as the rights went to them after the license ran out, and they told GOG that they don't want Dune, Dune 2 etc to be rereleased saying "if it's old, it should stay old"...hilarious how there's been reprints of Herbert's books.
Why the hell can we buy the Lynch movie, and that documentary about the earlier Dune production then? Are you saying Universal actually gave Herbert's estate enough of a pile of cash to keep that thing out? What, is Universal's "we don't give a shit" money more than GOG's "let's talk" money?

Universal probably still owns the rights to the film.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're hoping that new film would get new game made, and that rereleasing old games would affect the sales or something.

Herbert was a joyless person (he didn't allow Iron Maiden to mention Dune in their song "to tame a land", because he was against Heavy Metal), so it's no wonder his heirs are also joyless and hate video games.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
It's Brian Herbert. Don't try to understand. Only madness lies there.

And in the name of whatever you consider holy, don't go anywhere near his prequel/sequel books.
There's no danger of that. I only like the Lynch film for some reason, found the book tedious to read.
Herbert was a joyless person (he didn't allow Iron Maiden to mention Dune in their song "to tame a land", because he was against Heavy Metal), so it's no wonder his heirs are also joyless and hate video games.
Hang on, doesn't like metal, doesn't like video games, a strange fascination with Islam...we sure that the Herberts aren't proto-SJWs?

Semiurge

Cipher

An ultra-high budget HBO series adapting the whole trilogy across multiple seasons would be ideal, instead of a stunted and safe Hollywood movie adaptation.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Is there a source for this conversation?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Is there a source for this conversation?

It was in the video I watched a few weeks back, I'll dig it up and link in here later.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just a heads up - Deus Ex HR has a game-breaking bug that might occur in Hengsha. You are supposed to steal a security card to get into Tai Yong Medical, but the card might be un-interactable, making it impossible for you to continue the game. It might be caused by you knocking out or killing the guard before you get the quest just by casually exploring, but I'm not sure. I don't know if it's a persistent bug or it only occurs very rarely, but the only way to fix it is through the debug console. You can find it here, but you also need the fixed .dll file, here. You need to create a "mods" file in the installation directory of the game and copy paste the debug mod there. Giving yourself the card doesn't work, you have to force finish that quest and enable the other step. I tried googling for another solution, but there's only 2 threads for this bug in the entirety of the internet, none of which provide solutions.

mck

Cipher
anyone else encountered the fun bug where GOG galaxy deletes all of your installed games and mods that you spent hours getting to work? love that feature

Learned
Why would you use GOG, only to put up with launcher bullshit? An experimental pre-pre-pre alpha launcher that barely hangs by a thread at that. Use standalone installers.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Just for installing games, Galaxy is more convenient, but I never turn it on to play the games through it. I don't care about achievements or similar kinds of bullshit. You need less space to install games through it too. I've also noticed that downloading standalone installers from the website is somewhat slower than what Galaxy can muster. Playing Steam games through it is a nightmare of unimaginable proportions.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a good launcher. None of them are.

lightbane

Arcane
Just a heads up - Deus Ex HR has a game-breaking bug that might occur in Hengsha. You are supposed to steal a security card to get into Tai Yong Medical, but the card might be un-interactable, making it impossible for you to continue the game. It might be caused by you knocking out or killing the guard before you get the quest just by casually exploring, but I'm not sure. I don't know if it's a persistent bug or it only occurs very rarely, but the only way to fix it is through the debug console. You can find it here, but you also need the fixed .dll file, here. You need to create a "mods" file in the installation directory of the game and copy paste the debug mod there. Giving yourself the card doesn't work, you have to force finish that quest and enable the other step. I tried googling for another solution, but there's only 2 threads for this bug in the entirety of the internet, none of which provide solutions.

Does this still happen with the fitgirl version, or is this exclusive to GOG's one? Did they ever fix the "bug" about having to connect to Galaxy to play the DLC?

Lacrymas

Arcane
No idea about the fitgirl version, but I would assume so. It's a bug that's been in the game since 2013, at least one of the threads about it I found dates back to then. And I think they fixed the DLC thing yeah, but that's for Mankind Divided, not Human Revolution.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With GOG's updates still being broken two weeks (after i noticed them being broken, as others noted here they were broken long before that) i decided to "do it myself" using GreaseMonkey (to figure out all available filenames for the downloads on my account) and a simple desktop app (to scan my local files for any missing downloads)... and guess what? They were already broken way before that (though not completely). I bought Venetica the day it came out, but apparently they added some extras later and forgot to mark the game as updated (why they do this manually when it is so error prone i do not understand).

fPEhTjl.png

There are ~140 "updates" though most of them are updating the installer itself (not sure why, perhaps to update the ads inside? :-P) or add cloud saves to old DOS games that i do not care about. Fortunately there are very few games that i need to actually update, though my script seems to not be able to grab all filenames for some reason (due to the way GOG's APIs work i have to do a ton of roundtrips even to figure out a filename, including doing a HEAD request to figure out the actual filename... but seems that not all links respond to HEAD requests as expected - it took me four hours to grab all the links, something that on GOG's side would/should take a millisecond at worst, so i decided to let it finish since it had collected a ton of games and the failed stuff seem to be builds for Linux, Mac and extra binary files for the Windows installers, but the .exe and .zip files are reported properly, which sounds good enough to check for updates games and/or missing extras... not sure what sort of bug this is though).

GOG's server side stuff sound very badly written though, see that "blahblah of 839" games? Yeah, that is wrong, i only have around 650 or so, yet the server responds with 839 IDs but if i request information for the IDs after the 650 or so it returns empty data. So what are those fantom games? Initially i thought they moved IDs around and forwarded them to new IDs or something like that, but after poking a bit it turns out they are wishlisted games. But here is the thing: there is no way to tell them apart *and* there is a separate API call for getting the wishlisted games by themselves anyway. So why are these IDs replicated in the call that gives the user games? Only GOG knows (probably).

EDIT: it looks like it isn't just non-.exe/non-.zip files that do not respond properly to HEAD requests... my local copy of Venetica is missing all extras (only has the installer) but only the making_of.zip, venice.zip and artbook.zip files showed up despite the site also providing manual.zip and soundtrack.zip :-/. Looks like i'll have to figure out a different way to obtain the filename if the HEAD fails, perhaps initiating the download (which must provide the filename, otherwise the browser wont know it) and aborting it at the first progress event. Extra hacky but when all you have is a scythe... :-P.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
For anyone wanting to play Dune2000, this works fine.

https://gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/
Unfortunately, I encountered a bug/glitch during one of the campaign mission, where an enemy spawn carried by a Carryall for some reason landed on top of a small inaccessible land which happened to be out-of-range for my available units. I remembered reloading a save didn't solve the problem, and this caused me immeasurable butthurt back then that I rage-quitted and completely forgot about the game. Not sure if it's been fixed or if it's possible to choose the other mission because I remembered in earlier campaign missions you can choose between two regions.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Huh, so i've got two update notifications, one for UT2004 and another for Realms of Arkania 3, meaning they probably started working on the updates again.

However from a quick check it doesn't look like they had any actual changes (and nothing is mentioned on the changelog), but according to GOGDB the installer of UT2004 became larger by about 400MB (the version remained the same though) and the installer version for RoA3 changed (the actual files seem to be identical, except some GOG-specific stuff). Also those changes were actually made late March when updates were still broken, so hopefully this means they'll eventually mark all updates they made since last time.

EDIT: some moderator posted on the forums that they fixed whatever issue was there, but it looks like it'll take some time to have all updates marked as updated for some reason (i guess they still do it by hand). Well, whatever, as long as they mark all of them personally i'm fine (...though i'll try to fix my script because it found stuff i was missing :-P).

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
At least they're trying to live up their namesake by re-releasing old games that Retroism released on Steam a couple years ago. They've probably worked out a few issues too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom