Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good games to play with young children

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I had not realized children are now beyond retarded.
A lot of these children are.. very diverse. They're not smart enough to learn to read at the same ages as white children are. It's lazy parenting on top of genetic decline.
Its like swimming for these... people...
How are they going to learn to read if the parents can't read either?

deama

Prophet
Factorio should be a decent one? Maybe not for the young young ones, but still.
Especially if a grown up plays with them I think.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Factorio should be a decent one? Maybe not for the young young ones, but still.
Especially if a grown up plays with them I think.
Hate to be a shill but.. Do Pal world if you want to do that. Kids absolutely love the dumb shit that game can pull off.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
No, skip the meme game and make them play Factorio, it will help them develop big brain skills. Plus you can laugh at them when they get hit by their own trains.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess Carcassonne is a bit much

The board game version of Carcassonne seems much more straightforward to use, though. Going 3D-ish feels like a very weird decision.
The boardgamearena version looks much more usable.
1706310246939.png

It is funny how video games can push kids to go out of their comfort zone when they are into it.

My younger girl started playing Age of Mythology at 6, when she could barely read text or large number, and managed to do OKish against the computer, and even memorize and apply a rudimentary build order.
I still don't understand why many consider chess a more productive activity than any other strategy game (that said, chess has a strong focus on memorization, which is a good thing for education)...

3 others

Scholar
Has anyone tried Lost in Play? It's a recent non-verbal point-n-click game that seems promising although I'm not fond of the contemporary cartoon artstyle.

029528cb7e4784ba0905dfe870fa427088749fcdaae39cff10ebb2fe0f58bfdc.jpg
C'mon bros anyone? It looks like the long-awaited successor to Machinarium but the dev team surnames are straight from a Tel Aviv phonebook. I'm conflicted.

Gandalf

Arbiter
The little kid I know didn't wanted to play any game I showed him, instead he wanted to play: Fortnite, Minecraft, Farm Simulator, Terraria, Hearts of Iron IV, Among Us, Roblox, Geometry Dash.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Farming, construction, mining, logging, box moving, etc etc…. Looks like someone can’t wait to get into the workforce.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After watching this video and remembering you don’t need the three “R”s to graduate high school in Oregon; I reconsider any gaming now:

Yeah, have them do yard work or teach them arts, crafts, and household chores. Read books. I had not realized children are now beyond retarded.

Maybe teachers find gen Alpha so difficult to work with because the teachers themselves are Gen Z ;)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I think this thread title is weird. If playing games with your OWN children was the topic it’d be fine. “Good games for young children” sounds Epstein isle creepy.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
There's no legislation against exposing random young children to hardcore RPGs

Last edited:

biffthestiff

Educated
I strongly recommend Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime for kids and non-gamer adult friends.
It's a fun casual 2D co-op game that's a spaceship shooter/exploration/collectathon.
Your spaceship is at the middle of the screen, and each player controls a character. The ship has a terminal on each end of the ship controlling a different part of the ship: shields, movement, and guns. If you sit your character at a terminal, they control that mechanic. So if someone is controlling the shields, all they need to do is move the analog stick to control the direction of the shield towards incoming bullets.
My 6yo niece was able to play with me. Initially I handled shields and movement while she shot. When she got better (and this game is great at teaching how to use controllers), she was able to do more stuff.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I found that the Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move controls are simple enough for a kindergartner to grasp the concept of controlling anything on screen with buttons or keys, way easier than throwing them at a platformers like Mario or Sonic (which also is risky for reasons already stated ITT) as their first actual game. The color-based gameplay and cutesey animated dinosaurs are big plus for the younger side of this age group, while the aiming teaches them valuable geometric intuition skills or something. And you can later play it in two player mode once they stop being utterly terrible at it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What about Damce dance revolution, guitar hero, Parappa da rapper, etc etc?

Wait…. WTF?!?!?
IMG_5232.jpeg

Last edited:

MurkrLurkr

Learned
Right now I'm playing Rusty Lake's escape room games on mobile with my son... We just finished the Samsara Room and immediately installed the Cube Escape Collection. The atmosphere is creepy, inspired by Lynch's Twin Peaks but the puzzles are in the domain of common sense... A great way to pass the time while your wife is mindlessly rummaging through the bargain junkyards of malls looking for one more piece :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom