Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Old Games Early Access Beta

The Ticktockman

Scholar
If anyone is interested in joining the early access beta for GOG.com (you get buy one get one free), I have an invite code to give away. Also, any other member of the Codex who is part of the early access beta should also have an invite code to give away.

So if you want a two games for ~$6, let me know, and I'll give you my code.

Full list of current GOG games:

1insane
Conquest of the New World
Descent and Descent 2
Descent 3 + expansion
Die by the Sword + expansion
Earthworm Jim 3D
Evolva
F/A-18E SUPER HORNET
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Freespace + Expansion
Freespace 2
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
HOSTILE WATERS: ANTAEUS RISING
I.G.I. 2: COVERT STRIKE
INVICTUS: IN THE SHADOW OF OLYMPUS
JAGGED ALLIANCE 2: UNFINISHED BUSINESS
KINGDOM: THE FAR REACHES
KINGPIN: LIFE OF CRIME
LIONHEART: LEGACY OF THE CRUSADER
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2
MDK
MDK 2
MESSIAH
OPERATION FLASHPOINT GOTY
ORIGINAL WAR
PERIMETER
REDNECK RAMPAGE COLLECTION
SACRIFICE
SHATTERED STEEL
SHOGO: MOBILE ARMOR DIVISION
SOLDIERS: HEROES OF WORLD WAR II
STONEKEEP
TOCA RACE DRIVER 3

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah yeah it's great that CD Projekt makes money out of digital copies (with the same serial numbers uh oh) of games with developers/publishers being non-existent /not receiving any money for it anymore.
Well maybe it will help them make a game that won't be a mediocrity next time

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
skyway said:
Yeah yeah it's great that CD Projekt makes money out of digital copies (with the same serial numbers uh oh) of games with developers/publishers being non-existent /not receiving any money for it anymore.

butthurt detected.

The Ticktockman

Scholar
skyway said:

Whiny cunt with a grudge detected.

Ausir

Arcane
skyway said:

Huh? They pay the publishers for licensing rights. Money from buying Interplay's games funds the development of Fallout Online.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Waaaa waaaa skyway bashed CD Projekt for trying to get a quick buck without paying anything to original devs what a bastard waaaaaa

@Ausir: So how many of that money will actually reach the devs and not Caen's pocket where they will get lost?
Fallout Online? Lol do you still believe in that shit?

Ausir

Arcane
skyway said:
Waaaa waaaa skyway bashed CD Projekt for trying to get a quick buck without paying anything to original devs what a bastard waaaaaa

Actually, at least one of the original Fallout devs (Jason Anderson) is back at Interplay, working on FOOL. And there are reasons to believe that he might not be the only original team member there.

Anyway, in your first post you mentioned not only devs, but also publishers, which is outright untrue. They are paying the publishers.

how many of that money will actually reach the devs and not Caen's pocket where they will get lost?

But why are you bashing CDP for it, and not Herve?

What shit? They are making it, and Jason Anderson is working on it, whether we like it or not.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes all by himself. If anything I'm quite sceptic about a project consisting of one man.
I also doubt those money will reach f.e. Volition. Note that I'm speaking about acting devs here. Besides Freespace1 and 2 are being free and stuff (even open-sourced, with actual game's assets being freely distributed by FS2Open team) yet GOG still sells them.

But why are you bashing CDP for it, and not Herve?
CDP gets their money out of it too. Also considering that they sell OpF with the same serial they shouldn't - because they simply take game cds - rip them and sell that stuff which makes them cheap.

Umbragen

Novice
Ausir said:
Actually, at least one of the original Fallout devs (Jason Anderson) is back at Interplay, working on FOOL. And there are reasons to believe that he might not be the only original team member there.

And not just Jason Anderson... I hear Brad McQuaid is Project Lead!!

And uh, wouldn't Fallout Online's acronym be FO, literally F. O.!!

I would like to see the game get made though, It has allot more potential than the steaming piles of shit that have been released lately.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
skyway said:
Also considering that they sell OpF with the same serial they shouldn't
They aren't even selling OpF yet. Sacrifice has the same issue, they're working on resolving that.

Silellak

Cipher
skyway said:

@Ausir: So how many of that money will actually reach the devs and not Caen's pocket where they will get lost?

Ever bought a used game?

Downloaded from a pirate site?

Borrowed a game from a friend?

I assume not, since you seem OH SO CONCERNED with making sure the original developers of 10 year old games are getting paid.

Ausir

Arcane
Yes all by himself. If anything I'm quite sceptic about a project consisting of one man.

It's not just one man. I know of some other members of the team.

Anyway, nearly all new "classics" editions of old games are made without paying the original publishers. I don't see the specific issue with CDP here, as opposed to e.g. the White Label edition of FO1 and 2.

Pastel

Scholar
Wait so if you buy old games with dead developers from the publishers it's perfectly fine, but if you buy it from a third party it's evil and stuff?
You can still pirate it. Matter of fact you can now pirate Vista compatible versions supposedly.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Uhm. At least when buying a REAL hard copy of a great game through Amazon I know for sure that devs got paid for this copy (by the previous user) and it wasn't just digitally ripped 100 times from a 10 years old cd and is getting sold at approximately the same price as real games in a bargain bin due to their age.

Also I pirate only shit games or good old games I can't find in a REAL form (or in case some faggot sells one copy for $100)

@Lumpy: So exactly how CDP will make those games Vista compatible? I doubt they will use anything other than common hacks available from fansites for free.

made

Arcane
As long as they don't start selling games that have been freely available on abandonia etc for ages... gl with it.

The Ticktockman

Scholar
skyway said:
Uhm. At least when buying a REAL hard copy of a great game through Amazon I know for sure that devs got paid for this copy (by the previous user)...blah blah blah

Whether you buy a used copy of a game from GOG or Amazon has NO effect on the original developers. In fact, MORE money goes to the publishers if you buy from GOG, possibly having an effect on future game development.

Your logic here is completely flawed. Keep trying though, its cute.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
The Ticktockman said:
Also, any other member of the Codex who is part of the early access beta should also have an invite code to give away.
huh? i don't.... at least i think so..

Silellak

Cipher
SuicideBunny said:
The Ticktockman said:
Also, any other member of the Codex who is part of the early access beta should also have an invite code to give away.
huh? i don't.... at least i think so..

Try going to the basic Homepage, it should be somewhere on there. I just joined and had one to give away today.

Silellak

Cipher
The Ticktockman said:
skyway said:
Uhm. At least when buying a REAL hard copy of a great game through Amazon I know for sure that devs got paid for this copy (by the previous user)...blah blah blah

Whether you buy a used copy of a game from GOG or Amazon has NO effect on the original developers. In fact, MORE money goes to the publishers if you buy from GOG, possibly having an effect on future game development.

But if you buy it used, you don't have to give money to CD Projekt, who skyway believes are the devil because they happened to make a game he wasn't thrilled with it.

I know, it's always shocking when he doesn't like something - he's normally such a positive person.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Silellak said:
Try going to the basic Homepage, it should be somewhere on there. I just joined and had one to give away today.
ah, yes,t here it is. thanks.

Helton

Arcane
Those forums are the shit! Just browsing there is fun as hell. Like driving a sportscar all tuned up and shit. Looks like some good games, too. Old games, but good games.

Too bad it looks like the community will be "meh". I guess there's a reason I settled down here.

Ausir

Arcane
The Ticktockman said:

Also, Interplay has just relaunched its website and Chris Taylor has joined their dev team, so they have at least 2 Fallout developers there. So buying Fallout games from GOG does have an effect on original developers, since at least 2 of them work at Interplay again, and Interplay does get a share of the money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom