Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 3 "Enhanced Edition" (fan-patch 1.71) Impr

Crichton

Prophet
Well, I'm waiting for NWN2 patch 1.23 to de-fuck the friendly fire settings before I play MoW, so in the meantime I decided to give Gothic 3 another shot with it's fancy new patch 1.71, by the fans, for the fans, because JoWood axed PB.

There are two big sets of changes, one is to combat with their new melee AI and the other is the character system with the "Alternative Balancing", but AB has wide-reaching effects on combat as well.

New Melee AI:

This is a vast improvement, with this set of changes, melee combat in G3 is 80% of what it should have been in the first place. All attacks have a longer cool-down period, preventing most stun-lock, striking a blocking opponent adds it's own little cool-down period, giving the blocker some chance to counter attack. Power attacks cut through blocks, so humanoid on humanoid combat is pretty good, about on the level of a poor man's Jade Empire. Blocking has probably swung a little too far from useless to too strong since it blocks all damage, but one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Combat against animals is much more realistic with slower animal attack speeds, but still suffers somewhat from the fact that a) there's still no way to keep an animal at bay with a readied thrust and b) it's still impossible to block an animal's snout thrust, even with a shield.

I'd say that at this point, Gothic 3's combat is where the designers intended it to be, there's still a lot of room for improvement, but it'd require substantial engine changes (locational damage) and design changes (more humanoid opponents instead of vicious super-animals.

Alternative Balancing:

If you turn this on, there are a whole range of changes to the character system, their goals seem to be a) prevent a mage from being a super person simply because he has mana regeneration and b) force characters to specialize. The biggest difference is that stat boosts over 250 cost twice as much. I like this change in principle but it encourages players to try to save up stat boosting items / quests until the cap has been reached which is really painful. G2 and NotR had this same problem and it could all be fixed by coding in a 2nd variable to keep track of a character's non-quest/item adjusted stats and using that to calculate costs. Other changes include higher LP costs for most mage-related stuff, more prerequisites for many feats and adjustments to stat-boosting items.

AB also makes a big changes to the game world; 1) Characters are now procedurally re-equipped when they wake up instead of always being given the same weapon. This cuts down the degree to which many characters are money farms. 2) Armor now reduces damage by a set amount rather than a percentage, which is worrisome, but seems to be working out ok so far. 3) NPC damage is now dependent on their weapon, making poorly-armed / fist-fighting NPCs much less dangerous.

Verdict: Unless you completely hated G3, give it another shot. Even though I've played through the game before, once I finish up with my current swordfighter/archer/thief, I plan to try it again with a fighter/mage.

edit: spelling

Saxon1974

Prophet
I have to agree, this patch makes the game what I hoped it would be when first released (Or at least the first couple of hours I played).

Im going to play this right after I finish gothic 2 (A game I think I overlooked as its pretty cool so far).

dragonfk

Erudite
Gothic 3 already has a locational damage to some degree.

My last character is an archer and aiming at NPC/animals heads deals them much more damage than any other location on thier body.

All in all the game is great. Recently I've finished it with a mage and almost imedietly I started anothe playthrough with an archer/two weapon fighter.

Saxon1974

Prophet
dragonfk said:

My last character is an archer and aiming at NPC/animals heads deals them much more damage than any other location on thier body.

All in all the game is great. Recently I've finished it with a mage and almost imedietly I started anothe playthrough with an archer/two weapon fighter.

How do you compare it to Gothic 2?

mondblut

Arcane
Hey folks, tell me about NOTR. Is it stand-alone or adds a bunch of something in the midst of Gothic 2 proper? Because I've already played Gothic 2 and don't really feel like replaying it just for the sake of some added content. I'd try NOTR were it a separate experience though.

mondblut said:
Hey folks, tell me about NOTR. Is it stand-alone or adds a bunch of something in the midst of Gothic 2 proper? Because I've already played Gothic 2 and don't really feel like replaying it just for the sake of some added content. I'd try NOTR were it a separate experience though.
It adds stuff in. It adds LOTS of stuff in, so much in fact that's worth another play through. Plus it ramps us the difficulty to 'Manly'.

Raapys

Arcane
I never manage to actually finish this game. It's great at first, but eventually I sort of lose interest.

I really love the world though, probably the most beautiful game world ever made. Just wish they'd used it better; the rather boring story, shallow dialog, still-poor combat and boring weapon-selection drags the game down alot, and that's something even the excellent fan-patch doesn't really address.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Satori said:
mondblut said:
It adds stuff in. It adds LOTS of stuff in, so much in fact that's worth another play through. Plus it ramps us the difficulty to 'Manly'.

I am playing Gothic 2 Gold edition which includes the expansion. So I guess that means that my difficulty has already been bumped up? I don't see a difficulty setting in the game. I have died my fair share of times. I like hard games though so I like it.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
mondblut said:
It's not a stand-alone but the added content changes mostly the beginning - first act was made much different than the original one and there is another act added right after it which takes place on a new map. There is not much added content later on so you will be able to get all the interesting stuff without repeating much of what you've already played. And even if you don't find the first act to be different enough to replay it, there is a quest that provides you a faster way to join one of the factions so you can get to the main attraction of NotR.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Engine performance still isn't very good for me with the 1.71 community patch. No matter the settings, I still get stuttering every 3 - 5 minutes, especially when exploring. However, the actual gameplay is somewhat enjoyable, though the dialogue seems to be a lot weaker than what it is in G2/NotR.

dragonfk

Erudite
Saxon1974 said:
dragonfk said:

How do you compare it to Gothic 2?

With Gothic 2 you had reasonably big world with everything very well planed and filled with content.

Its not entirely true for G3. Quest are rather easy and straightforward. But the sheer vastness of land, numbers of quests that make sense in the game, many different opponents youll face will captivate you. Atmosphere is brilliant. Music outstanding. When I liberated my first human city the music and satisfaction nearly pushed me out of the chair. Ill repeat myself once again: in terms of atmosphere G3 shines like no other. When you ventrue through the lavish forests or through snowy mountains of Nordmar you cant stop wonder what would PB managed to do if they had Bethesda's financial possibilities. When I compare terrain in G3 and Ob, the difference is mind blowing. It was realy possible to get lost in Nordmar, even though you had your position noted on the map. The mountains, heights, occasional plains, everything was and is beautifull.

Though I must agree with Raapys and his arguments. The farther you ventrue into G3 the more it will fade and bore you. Though I was never bored to the level where I started playing other game. But entering for the first time to world of G3 is a memorable experience, one that Oblivion will never achive. Fuck you, you north american pricks who praise TES and ridiculle a masterpiece that G3 is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom