Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Gothic 3 hullaballoo at RPGDot

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a> have got a <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1145>couple</a> <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1144>features</a> up today about Gothic III, both from a big thing where the press got invited to the sound recording sessions for the game. Here's a blurb about what they're trying to do with this latest game in the series.<blockquote>Gothic 3 wants to get away from the adventure-like structure of the first two games. In them you had to do a lot of things in exactly the correct order to reach the next chapter. The developers strive to avoid this in Gothic 3, in favour of more options and more freedom for the player, for example by offering a pool of quests to choose from rather than forcing the player to pick a certain one.
<br>
The game will be much more nonlinear than its predecessors. The main quest will be largely optional during most parts of game. Piranha Bytes wants to hit exactly the thin line on which the player _knows_ where to go to advance in the main quest but can choose to do many other things first, just because he prefers it that way.</blockquote>Well, the effort is surely appreciated, but there's a big difference between having bags of sidequests and having a non-linear plot--see Baldur's Gate II.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
First Gothics they reffer to had allready at least three main-plot paths (which is admitably good allready, compared to other games). Their latest statements ( "The game will be much more nonlinear than its predecessors.") actually could mean they are aware of that and take it further.

Stark

Liturgist
Kamaz said:
First Gothics they reffer to had allready at least three main-plot paths (which is admitably good allready, compared to other games).

the second is even better, though many seem to fail to realize it. there're even more multiple guilds to join that allow you to eventually board the ship.

what's lacking, though, is multiple approaches to resolving quests. it's almost always resolved with combat in one form or another.

they even had some part of dialog options down nicely. there're options to cheat/bully people via dialog, or dialog options to be nice/helpful.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Gothic 2 wasnt perfect, but it was good. It was like they were getting a grasp on what actually makes RPGs good, Gothic 3 sounds so much like they are following through on that.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, Gothic 3 is supposed to have three different endings. On the other hand, you aren't supposed to really decide until very late in the game. That makes sort of sense, but I hope they have sufficient guild (or whatever) specific content and limitations making your choices at least locally relevant.

Atrokkus

Erudite
WEll, the fact alone that you may choose between helping orcs, humans, or helping yourself - is a VERY big step forward, and it is sufficient enough for me.
And it will be non-linear, because of that. That's fucking obvious.

Other than that, Gothic 1-2 were good enough already...
Oh and just add more dialog options, plz! ! !

Neverwhere

Novice
Nonlinear... as in "you can become the head of any guild"-nonlinear? Nah, I'd rather have a good story and a couple of side quests, thank you.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Nah, not that.
DOn't mix up with Morrowind. Have you played Gothic (esp., 1st part)? It has a good story and very many interesting sidequestis. The sense of immersion is unbeliveable, really.
I'm sure Gothic3 will be even better.

Ellester

Liturgist
I will admit I got a sense of Morrowind from this statement.

But, who the hell knows what it will actually mean ingame.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Neverwhere said:
Nonlinear... as in "you can become the head of any guild"-nonlinear? Nah, I'd rather have a good story and a couple of side quests, thank you.
I'd rather have intelligent comments, but how to stop you?

Atrokkus

Erudite
I will admit I got a sense of Morrowind from this statement.
Your senses deceive you.
Gothic has always been a direct opposite to Morrowind, and far greater than it interms of RPGishness: that is, Gothic being an RPG, while Morrowind not.
So I have no doubts whatsoever.
They'll continue their trend, but add a non-linearity to the main plot.

Stark

Liturgist
mEtaLL1x said:
Gothic has always been a direct opposite to Morrowind, and far greater than it interms of RPGishness: that is, Gothic being an RPG, while Morrowind not.

Gothic has always felt like an adventure game to me, though to its credit there are limited oppurtunities to role-play in dialog.

I love how it can cruelly put the player in some awkward situation where the best thing to do is to swallow your pride and be bullied/taken advantage of. The alternative is to pick a fight that you almost certainly will lose and be robbed while you,beaten to an inch of your life, moan on the ground.

Few rpg games would ever attempt scenarios like this.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Yeah, that was its jewel.
especially, this atmosphere was stunning right in the beginning of Gothic1.
Also love that there are no "difficulty level" classification of locations. That is, you can encounter a monster which you just CAN'T possbily destroy at your current level very early in the game, and vice-versa.
Dialog was kinda scarce.. i mean the options... but still it didn't really spoil experience, and did offer choice, sometimes hard decisions had to be made.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Indeed. You guys have nailed what made the Gothic team stand out on their own.

Not only are they technically ahead of everyone else, but they have also been brave - which is even rarer than technical brilliance these days. And they've said 'to hell with you' to all the whining 'teh gam is too hard for me' masses, and delivered the two most immersive, mature, challenging and interesting 3D rpg-adventures ever made. I'd take Gothic 1 and 2 over Morrowind any day of the week - they are quite simply, better games in every respect.

I really hope this studio lives long and prospers, and doesn't go the way of Looking Glass Technologies, whom I consider to be their spiritual predecessors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom