Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic III: am I doing something wrong ?

Aothan

Magister
I gather that means the game is just very hard if particular playstyles are eschewed. No problem, simple as the mechanics may be every now and then I enjoy the opportunity to play with a Archer/Ranger type character.

what I have noticed about Fire Arrows and other special ammunition types is their high sale value, and thus the out of reach purchase costs for (at least) low level characters. So as a rule I have always reserved any quantities found for more challenging encounters, or situations that escalate beyond my general encounter strategies (i.e., as a long term Archer player one learns to assess the environment at all times).

however their effect seems quite limited so far, having used both Fire and Knockback types against Ogres the impact damage and duration based damage appears quite negligible. Knockback does not even appear to stumble Ogres...which I guess makes partial sense. It may be that special arrow damage and effect properties are also determined by the level of Archery skill and possibly the bow type. Over the course of development my character will gradually learn to craft arrows, with the specific intent of preparing Lighting Arrows.

I did not even know about Spears or Halberds having a radius attack, having only just learnt the input for thrust attacks, so I will have to practise some more :)

Multi-headed Cow

Aothan said:
having heard that Gothic III was a reasonably enjoyable game
I heard this too. Don't believe anyone who tells you this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom