Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Machocruz

Arcane
I want this to turn out good just so the plebs can be educated on what a truly great, open world RPG is like. Provided they're not turned off by that very thing after knowing nothing but Bethestardation and CDHousingProjekts.

curds

Magister
The playable teaser contains such alarmingly high levels of retardation that I'm not sure how anyone could believe this will come out good.

Seeing a recreation of the Old Mine in a video or knowing that one guy from the original team has returned is not enough to convince me.

notpl

Arbiter
The playable teaser contains such alarmingly high levels of retardation that I'm not sure how anyone could believe this will come out good.
Damn, was just about to ask if they had revamped the game completely since then. Oh well, not like there's jack shit else to play.
They claim to have completely scrapped everything about the playable teaser.

curds

Magister
Damn, was just about to ask if they had revamped the game completely since then. Oh well, not like there's jack shit else to play.
They claim to have completely scrapped everything about the playable teaser.
So I heard, but even if that is true (which I doubt) I still have little to no faith.

Even if they did scrap all the garbage design from the PT, the fact that they designed it like that in the first place makes me sceptical that they could do better.

curds

Magister
I am also assuming that the remake's target audience is people who cannot into the original games (ie. Casuals etc.) and therefore how could it possibly still appeal to someone who loved the original.

(I think this is a general rule to apply to most/all remakes, actually)

Zlaja

Arcane
I am also assuming that the remake's target audience is people who cannot into the original games

Is that really true, tho? Those people don't even know what Gothic is. The target audience has to be all the long-time fans of the original 2 games. Which there are plenty of, especially in Germany. Plenty of bucks to be made from those people. So, even from a pure business standpoint it would make no sense to not at least try to make the Gothic's sizeable fanbase happy. Would be pure madness otherwise.

Last edited:

curds

Magister
I am also assuming that the remake's target audience is people who cannot into the original games

Is that really true, tho? Those people don't even know what Gothic is. The target audience has to be all the long-time fans of the original 2 games. Which there are plenty of, especially in Germany. Plenty of bucks to be made from those people. So, even from a pure business standpoint it would make no sense to not at least try to make the Gothic's sizeable fanbase happy. Would be pure madness otherwise.
My line of thinking is that the true Gothic fans would be content with the games as they are. Maybe some would want a graphical upgrade, ie. a remaster. But full remake - that's to gather a new audience.

notpl

Arbiter
Gothic just straight up does not run on a computer made in the last ~12 years or so without russian fanpatches, so there's certainly room for some improvement in the accessibility department.

curds

Magister
Gothic just straight up does not run on a computer made in the last ~12 years or so without russian fanpatches, so there's certainly room for some improvement in the accessibility department.
How about patching it. That excuse doesn't demand an entire remake.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How about patching it. That excuse doesn't demand an entire remake.
I think they could not patch ladders so they made the whole thing from scratch.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Minecrawler teaser = too spidery. It's, like, make a Minecrawler bruh. Not an absurd spider with giant impractical legs. Google Mole cricket images ffs. Make it large. EZ. I swear, the inability of these designers to grasp basic concepts is fascinating.

Trailer and return of Kai = sounds great. Looks good. It's just that they've disappointed so much so far that I still can't get rid of my resting bitchface. YeeeAh, I'll wait for whatever else they've got to show in the near future (I hope). Still too early to draw any conclusions, no matter how optimistic anyone among you might be. I ain't.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Part of 2 of the previously linked conversation with Kai.
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldofgot...2_of_kai_rosenkranz_giving_details_about_the/

What about other sound effects like eating food or getting hit, will those be remastered or remade completely?
Kai: I'll have to remake all of the sounds, but I'll use some of the original source material so that it sounds similar. The trailer has 100% new sounds, too, using the same approach. Hope it works out.

Can you tell us (if you are allowed to) if we will have the option to wear a helmet or to? Mind you, the option, not mandatory... As it was cut content from G1
Kai: No. No helmets. Armor is composed out of individual pieces (which doesn't necessarily mean that the player can or must combine them) for greater visual variety. So in a group of people from the same group/level, every* individual will look a little different. But I don't think we mentioned helmets.

Kai, what about Mike Hoge? Will he be there to help with the remake?
Kai: I haven't heard from Mike since our Twitch stream, and that's a looong time ago. Guess I'll have to drop him a message.

Since when is Kai working on the remake?
Kai: Since September '21 I think.

Is there anything worth mentioning about stuff being included from the Gothic Sequel? Or if it will potentially be used as a source of ideas in the Remake or its continuation?
Kai: I can imagine the writers drawing some inspiration from the sequel, but I don't know if it's considered a must-have source.

I'm assuming the same could apply to Gothic Alpha or other Phoenix documents?
Kai: Yes.

I have a bit more personal question, no need for you to answer: What happened between you and PB that made you cut ties with them after Risen 1?
Kai: Several aspects came together at the same time. I messed up a few things in the way I leaked information to the community (oh... wait...), and also I had my head in the clouds with my own projects. We never really talked about it, but I think they realized I wasn't 100% committed anymore, which led to our relationship cooling down. The reasons for my shrinking commitment were diverse. Some had to do with the creative direction the projects were taking, and Mike's gradual departure played an important role. (He was like my mentor.) It just felt like a different place, different people, different vibe. Hard to explain...

Since someone already asked about Risen here... Is there any possibility that your draft of Risen 2 story and game which you made before leaving PB will ever see the light of day? Is it lost completely or just kept somewhere from public's eyes?
Kai: I don't have a copy, and I don't think anyone at PB has... All I can say is: It was weird. The idea centered around "mana storms"...

What do you think about the soundtrack in Archolos? (if you heard/played it)
Kai: I loved it so much that I reached out to the composer instantly to congratulate him.

Kai, did u try Remake combat? Do you like it?
Kai: I didn't like the combat in the playable teaser. But I like the (completely redesigned) new one in the current development version of the remake a lot more. Still needs some iteration, though, but the general direction is so much better.

Why does your Risen theme and the Fallout 3 Theme have the same Leitmotiv the First 12 notes?
Kai: That was coincidence, but for the record: The Risen 1 theme was released to the public almost a year before the Fallout 3 theme.

Kai, after all you saw in development of Gothic remake. What do you think, when will it come out ? 2023, 2024 ???
Kai: I don't know. We're not committing to a release date, not even internally, and that's very good. Cause we don't need (another) unfinished Gothic game.

Kai pls this time make Myrtana fight 3x louder by default
Kai: I was thinking about using the DA-DA-DAAAAA as the new level-up jingle. #Kappa

Do you know, how many members does have Alkimia rn ?
Kai: Around 40, I think.

We wont see armour like Bloodwyn had in PT ?
Kai: No.

Was there ever a finished Gothic game?
Kai: No. Not if you compare them to their respective design documents.

Are there any significant changes planned to how magic works/mage gameplay comparing to the original?
Kai: It depends on what you mean by "significant". We're not planning to change anything significantly, since it's supposed to be a pretty authentic remake of the original. But there may be some new features added. The general system is pretty similar though.

There is a question with this. What about forging in remake? Will be more complex like you promising about cooking.
Kai: Yeah, a little.

Did bezi and Diego designs changed since PT?
Kai: Completely! The playable teaser had a completely different approach. The idea 3 years ago was a complete re-interpretation of the original game. That idea was dropped after the feedback came in, and the team started from scratch with the new approach: A pretty accurate remake where most changes are additive. That's when I came on board. The playable teaser was made by 7 people, just to sketch out the new ideas and interpretations and get early feedback. Some of those 7 people still work in Alkimia.

No French Musketeer Diego?
Kai: NO!

I have a question. I know that might be hard to answer but Mattias Filler expressed interest in participating in the World of Gothic (in an interview with it
;)
) again. If he's not busy with another project could the team imagine to hire him to give him a chance to work on the story?
Kai: If you ask me: He'd be a great addition to the team, since the Gothic tone and vibe flows naturally into the dialogue he writes. I'd love to have him on board. But for now, it's only me...

What can you say about Alkimia members? They big Gothic fans?
Kai: To be honest, it's mixed. There are a lot of die-hard Gothic connoisseurs in the team, and the discussions we have about the tiniest details is super fun. Each department has at least one person with profound Gothic expertise. But there are also quite a few people that are new to the series (or have only played Gothic 3). As part of the hiring process, they're tortured... I mean asked, to play the original. But even though I was a little worried in the beginning, I'm not worried at all anymore, because that mix of veterans and fresh people turns out to be super inspiring. I just want each department to have enough understanding of Gothic to make the right decisions, and that's definitely the case.

Was the teaser always planned as Gothic teaser or was it a remnant of another tech-demo or original IP Alkimia tried to pitch first before the license Exchange?
Kai: As far as I know, it was always planned as a teaser. Maybe the recycled some technology in Unreal from other studios, but I haven't heard anything about that.

How much new music are you composing for the remake, @KaiRosenkranz? Are you reusing anything from the original?
Kai: The original music was appx. 30 minutes in total, with lots of repetitions. Right now I already have written more than one hour, so twice as much as in the original game. And I'm not even close to being finished. So there's going to be a LOT of music... I'm in the flow, nothing can stop me now.

Kai, tell me more about: "Useless activities are no longer so useless" Does it mean, that sitting is part of conversation with NPCs ? want to hear more
Kai: The useless activities that come to my mind are sitting on stools (etc.), turning the Scavenger-On-A-Stick above the fire, playing an instrument, hammering/"repairing" (was that even in the final game? It was in a development build of the original game.), and those things...! The way I understood Reinhard was that some of these activities will be integrated a bit better into either a social situation (with reactions from others) or a gameplay feature with benefit for the player. Don't have any details right now though.

Since soundtrack was mentioned a bunch of times already, do you happen to still have original recordings of gothic 3 music?
Kai: I don't. Being an honourable member of the PB dev team, I didn't take anything with me when I left, since I don't own any rights anyways.

Oh btw the music in the latest trailer, was that the original, or remastered, completely redone, ....?
Kai: Original theme/melody, but new arrangement.

Kai: The useless activities that come to my mind are sitting on stools (etc.), turning the Scavenger-On-A-Stick above the fire, playing an instrument, hammering/"repairing" (was that even in the final game? It was in a development build of the original game.), and those things...! The way I understood Reinhard was that some of these activities will be integrated a bit better into either a social situation (with reactions from others) or a gameplay feature with benefit for the player. Don't have any details right now though.
To be fair that does look like a good idea. Taking original ideas that weren't fully working and expandign on them is something I would expect from a good remake.

Kai: The original music was appx. 30 minutes in total, with lots of repetitions. Right now I already have written more than one hour, so twice as much as in the original game. And I'm not even close to being finished. So there's going to be a LOT of music... I'm in the flow, nothing can stop me now.
This is why remakes are so problematic. The music a composer wrote 20 years ago and the one written now are in reality made by different people. Any kind of art is reflecting on what kind of person the artist was at that time, and having an artist return to old work after some time have passed is like contracting his half-brother to do the same.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
The music a composer wrote 20 years ago and the one written now are in reality made by different people. Any kind of art is reflecting on what kind of person the artist was at that time, and having an artist return to old work after some time have passed is like contracting his half-brother to do the same.
Kai was 19 years old when he made music for Gothic 1. Only 19. Unbelievable. If he was genius enough to make one of the most memorable soundtracks to ever grace videog ames at that age then he's likely to do it again, unless decline hit him hard.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
By the way, speaking of Rozenkratz... What's that situation with him allegedly scamming his fans by doing a kickstarte, getting almost 40 thousands and then never completing it? I've seen it noticed under numerous videos with his music, did anyone participate in the kickstarter or at least has some knowledge to illuminate me of what had transpired?

Peachcurl

Cipher
By the way, speaking of Rozenkratz... What's that situation with him allegedly scamming his fans by doing a kickstarte, getting almost 40 thousands and then never completing it? I've seen it noticed under numerous videos with his music, did anyone participate in the kickstarter or at least has some knowledge to illuminate me of what had transpired?
Interesting. Looked it up. He did a kickstarter for an album. Just look at recent comments to get an idea. They are mostly German, but deepl.com should give you a pretty good translation.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...z-is-making-a-new-album-journey-home/comments

Recent example from those comments (auto-translated, after fixing what seems like an auto-correct error in the comment):

5 days ago

Phew how time flies... And still no sign of life from you Kai. But now there seems to be time and muse to work on the Gothic remake.

The 37000USD (sic!) are probably long gone in Nirvana. More than the money, however, I'm hurt by the feeling of having been screwed and how that belatedly diminishes my love and nostalgia for Gothic and the music. Also, the anticipation for the remake is such a split one. On the one hand I'm looking forward to it and also to your music but it won't feel good with the knowledge to be ignored by you here, maybe you'll even use music paid by us here who knows?

I hope you are aware of what you have done here for a breach of trust.

Essentially, it seems like: He asked for 20k, got 37k. Didn't produce anything yet. Stopped communicating. Now joined the Gothic remake.

Laz Sundays

Educated
Well goddamn. Everything that Kai said sounds like hope. Idgaf about his kickstarter drama, I have a drawing talent and you cannot force your talent no matter how much money someone gives you. It's like that sometimes with artists of any kind. Heck, I'm gonna be his devil's advocate and say that I would rather see him focus on Gothic music with love than return to his kickstarted album begrudgingly. He should really just be honest towards those people that gave money and answer them back. "Been called to work on Gothic and that's all I can think about rn, sorry - album delayed" or something. And he does appear to be hooked on Gothic again:

How much new music are you composing for the remake, @KaiRosenkranz? Are you reusing anything from the original?

Bloom everywhere, armors were, of course, made to look more mediocre and less distinct. Look at the Old Camp armor. Now colors are less vibrant, all details pointing that it's an old armor looted from guards are gone and some details are made to look more mediocre(the thing with nails on the tights is replaced by something ordinary looking).

Salvo

Arcane
Bloom everywhere, armors were, of course, made to look more mediocre and less distinct. Look at the Old Camp armor. Now colors are less vibrant, all details pointing that it's an old armor looted from guards are gone and some details are made to look more mediocre(the thing with nails on the tights is replaced by something ordinary looking).
IDK man, they look pretty good to me, keep in mind the dark lighting in the picture

But then again I'm fully against the industry's current trend of remastering everything

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom