Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Automobile IV: A Game For Commies

MetalCraze

Arcane
it will be the first GTA that won't run normally on somebody's average PC. oh fuck resource-expensive eye-candy.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It will be the first GTA that let's me know what it's like to be a godless former commie, so I'll be able to relate to half the posters on the codex better.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
It actually is removing most of the silly RPG elements from San Andreas. GTA IV will be almost all player-skill based, which is a good thing for an action game.

And the GTA series is fantastic. Only series other than Half-Life where the world actually looks dirty and lived in.

User was nabbed fit

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this. Also it has multiplayer. I have it preordered for the 360 (it's pretty much why I bought the console).

WalterKinde

Scholar
It won't be out for the PC anytime soon, so by then hopefully today's must have killer graphics cards and high end cpus will be tomorrow's bargin bin/mid range hardware parts, that will be required to run it.
Of course if they release it as a "Vista" only game then fuck em.

kris

Arcane
BrainSquirmingLikeAToad said:
I forgot where the choices and consequences quote was, but it's late so I'll find it another time.

If you shoot a cop, they will hunt you. choice and consequence. Trying to get away from the cops was realy the only thing I found fun in GTA and I liked the earlier isometric ones better.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Stealing a vehicle and blasting a radio was the best part of the games IMHO driving wild and crazy while listening to music, second runner up is running over the pedestrians. while driving.
The missions i could care less about unless it was needed to advance the plot/cinematic storyline, i was never into collecting x amout of medals etc.

MetalCraze

Arcane
kris said:
Trying to get away from the cops was realy the only thing I found fun in GTA and I liked the earlier isometric ones better.

not in GTA3 & Co. you can't get away from cops there. they will always teleport to the place near you.

Starwars

Arcane
I thought San Andreas was rather big disappointment, and suffered from the "hey, this is cool, let's put it in the game" problem, like the stats thing. It also tried to hard with the whole gangsta stuff.

But the biggest problem is actually how big the game is. It's not fun to get a mission where you have to drive to the other part of the map, only to fail the mission due to some stupid fucking thing, and have to do it over.

I mostly like the storybits of GTA, they're a lot of fun. But some of the missions are just terrible.

MetalCraze

Arcane
should I remind you of a mission where you have to fly through a ring over the plane that is 5 times faster than your own plane which includes timer and driving considerable distance to the airport and in case of mission failure doing that again from the start?

Castanova

Prophet
GTA IV is going to be great. It sounds like they learned from past mistakes in GTA:SA and have put the series back on track.

I do have a certain distaste for their decision to include "insta-travel" mechanics, though. Maybe it will help with how painful it is getting to a mission location after failing it multiple times, but still...

Starwars

Arcane
should I remind you of a mission where you have to fly through a ring over the plane that is 5 times faster than your own plane which includes timer and driving considerable distance to the airport and in case of mission failure doing that again from the start?

I'm not even sure I got to that point, heh. San Andreas is the only GTA game I haven't completed yet. I made it to San Fierro on my first playthrough, where I got extremely bored. I've been replaying it on the PC and am in San Fierro yet again at the moment, and yep... I feel the boredom kicking in.

A user named cat

Starwars said:
I thought San Andreas was rather big disappointment, and suffered from the "hey, this is cool, let's put it in the game" problem, like the stats thing. It also tried to hard with the whole gangsta stuff.

But the biggest problem is actually how big the game is. It's not fun to get a mission where you have to drive to the other part of the map, only to fail the mission due to some stupid fucking thing, and have to do it over.
I was thrilled that they did the whole west coast 90's gangster rap setting. I grew up on that stuff and still enjoy it. Was awesome to hear MC Eiht doing some voice work. The lead character did sound like he was trying too hard though, it felt like a poor version of Menace II Society.

I totally agree with your second statement though. There were some missions where you had to travel for like an hour, where you couldn't ding the vehicle up at all and have to worry about cops all the time so you'd have to drive perfectly. If you failed, you'd have to go alllllll the way back and try again which was a headache.

I think the biggest problem with all the GTA games has been that once you've killed so many hookers, explored so much, tried enough stunts, etc. -- the game just gets boring as fuck. The missions range from fun to annoying way too much, and the shooting mechanics are more bothersome than entertaining. Not to mention the PC versions suffered from way too many damn hotkeys to bind, even on a regular gamepad.

Unwanted

Zinc

Unwanted
This game looks great apart from the main character, which is a shame really, considering he's all you are going to be seeing for 99% of the duration. He looks like a prick, has a stupid voice, and generally just annoys the hell out of me. Fuck you, Rockstar. What were you thinking?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Gamespot said:
Conversations change depending on how you approach missions, so if you have to repeat them, you're unlikely to hear the same exchange the second time. We played one assassination mission that took place on a train platform, and the preceding cutscene changed completely when we approached the target from a different angle.

Closest thing to C&C I could find.

User was nabbed fit

I don't think you really searched hard enough or wanted to. There is C&C, but it's obviously not on a CRPG level.

Anyway, scanz!

OXM-REVIEW-1.jpg

OXM-REVIEW-2.jpg

OXM-REVIEW-3.jpg

OXM-REVIEW-4.jpg

OXM-REVIEW-5.jpg

OXM-REVIEW-6.jpg

OXM-REVIEW-7.jpg

OXM-REVIEW-8.jpg

OXM-REVIEW-9.jpg

Raapys

Arcane
Wonder how much they got paid to do that article.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom