Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Graphics, Gameplay and Story

No, I want colorful heroes. In Fallout 3, they would be

Brown Ranger

Black Ranger

Grey Ranger

Green Ranger

Dark Green Ranger

and the mysterious Bloom Ranger , with the power to hurt your eyes at will - friend or foe?

tumblr_m8sia1fn0b1rvmd3uo1_400.jpg

No, I want colorful heroes. In Fallout 3, they would be

Brown Ranger
500px-Lucas_Simms.jpg

Black Ranger
479-2-1226843014.jpg
Grey Ranger

Green Ranger
2cndyfa.jpg

Dark Green Ranger
858192-reilly_full_size.jpg

and the mysterious Bloom Ranger , with the power to hurt your eyes at will - friend or foe?

tumblr_m8sia1fn0b1rvmd3uo1_400.jpg
Oh god I forgot about that quest..

I think you mixed up the Brown and Black Ranger ima- oh, I see.

Oh, and you forgot about the Bloom Ranger, who is a traveller from another dimension...that is both very different and very similar to theirs.

ibttLxasunBkAz.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Why are so many things hidden and hard to find?

I've honestly never heard this complaint about Fallout before. Sounds more like the kind of criticism people would have of Monkey Island.

There was a point many years ago where I had better eyesight and more time and sometimes had to use graph paper or a note pad to progress in a game. I was able to read large amounts of text on screen or even refer to a book that came with the game when prompted to do so. Then we had BT3 come along with a mapping feature and also Ultima Underworld where you could annotate the in game map. Morrowind is one of my favourite games ever and I recently tried again and now I am getting so lazy and old I think – what is all this damn text stuff.

The Monkey Island games were also great and involved a lot of going from place to place. But I accept that in those games. As LucasArts set them out that way.

Recently I have played some of my old games such as BT1, Wasteland, U4 and now Fallout 1.

On Fallout 1 then –

Healing Jarvis once you have the Radscorpion antidote should have been a conversation option.

In the Hub, the missing caravan is one of the most stupidly planned quest I can remember from any game. You need to talk to five different people to actually end up in the Deathclaw cave? What is the point of Slappy – why couldn’t Beth point to Harold directly – it makes me frustrated. Why do you have to talk to Beth about this anyway?

Oh – after killing the Deathclaw and reading the holodisk, Butch won’t even talk to me anymore. He tells me to get out even though I am not carrying any weapons.

In Necropolis – although I was looking for the water pump first time around I simply missed it and walked passed it. Once I found I could not repair it I went back to an earlier save and levelled 2-3 times to increase my repair skill and still can’t fix the pump despite having a tool set on me as well.

So – it’s probably my poor eyesight – I really don’t like to read lots of text or some small text on screen. These old games that defined a lot of my childhood were not really planned to be accessible for some blind fat geezer 30 years afterwards.

Lemming42

Arcane
On Fallout 1 then –

Healing Jarvis once you have the Radscorpion antidote should have been a conversation option.

I guess they could have made it more obvious that it's possible to heal him, but you use the antidote on him the same way you use any item on anything or anyone else. It's consistent with the game's mechanics, even if it's not made clear that it's an option.

In the Hub, the missing caravan is one of the most stupidly planned quest I can remember from any game. You need to talk to five different people to actually end up in the Deathclaw cave? What is the point of Slappy – why couldn’t Beth point to Harold directly – it makes me frustrated. Why do you have to talk to Beth about this anyway?

I think they were trying to build up the Deathclaw before you meet him (her?). Like, it's a legendary creature, and you're meant to slowly build up an idea of how powerful and horrifying it is from talking to all these people and hearing what they have to say. Also, it's been a while since I've played it, but isn't Slappy the only guy who knows where the cave is? He just asks you to talk to Harold first, which I guess is because the devs wanted to make sure the player met Harold since he's one of the game's most memorable characters.

Oh – after killing the Deathclaw and reading the holodisk, Butch won’t even talk to me anymore. He tells me to get out even though I am not carrying any weapons.

Do you mean after you've completed the quest and gotten your reward? Or is this a bug where you got the holodisk from the Super Mutant but now you can't complete it because Butch won't talk to you?

In Necropolis – although I was looking for the water pump first time around I simply missed it and walked passed it. Once I found I could not repair it I went back to an earlier save and levelled 2-3 times to increase my repair skill and still can’t fix the pump despite having a tool set on me as well.

I don't think you can fix the pump with just your Repair skill. The ghoul you meet in the sewers tells you that you'll need to find the replacement parts that his scouts went to find. They're in the sewers under the watershed, in a room full of molerats.

So – it’s probably my poor eyesight – I really don’t like to read lots of text or some small text on screen. These old games that defined a lot of my childhood were not really planned to be accessible for some blind fat geezer 30 years afterwards.

True, some of the high res mods for the Fallout games can cause the text to become nigh-unreadable. If you play it in like 800x600 with everything scaled up the text is a lot easier to read.

aris

Arcane
Hey assholes, stop determining "truth" for the rest of us. Projection like a motherfucker.
Are you kdding me? Determining "truth" for the rest is what the codex is all about! And whoever shouts the loudest and act the edgiest wins!

mondblut

Arcane
Sufficient graphics (read 1990 level or so) > gameplay >>>>>>>> story >>>> excess graphics.

A certain bare minimum of graphics is absolutely mandatory and a game which lacks it (i.e. ascii crap, amateur stickmen, you know the drill) does not qualify by default. Anything beyond that minimum, OTOH, is excess and irrelevant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom