Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grim Quest - RPG / Dungeon Crawler in a dark fantasy setting

GoranK

Grim Dev Studio
Developer
I'd like to share my first ever game project here, developed in my spare time (usually weekends) over the course of last few months. Any kind of feedback, tips and suggestions are more than welcome, since I'm new to the game design craft. What do you like / don't like about the game? Do you think it has potential and how would you improve it? Thanks in advance!

Grim Quest is a classic turn-based RPG / Dungeon Crawler with gothic aesthetics and a retro vibe. It is set in a dark fantasy world with elements of lovecraftian horror and puts a lot of emphasis on atmosphere and immersion through dark visuals, music and lots of written text.

Excerpt from the game intro in spoilers (I'm not a native english speaker so feedback on the writing would be much appreciatied)
Like many others, you have come to Ashborne seeking fame and fortune, responding to the city council's ever-increasing demand for manpower and promises of gold. Your destination - The fabled ruins of the old imperial capital - once the center of the civilized world, nowdays a ruin said to contain vast treasures in it's gloomy halls.

As you make your way throught the city, you realize it is in a dire state, signs of a recent siege evident on chaotic streets and dismayed faces of passers-by. A slim pretence of control is maintained only by the pressence of mercenary companies in employ of the city council and a dwindling garrison of the city guard.

You walk by a tavern, a worn sign swaying in the wind betraying it's name - The Dancing Dragon - and decide against having a drink. You will need all your wits about you for what's to come. Finally you reach the parapet overlooking the valley below. In the distance, not to far to the south, a thick wall of impenetrable darkness beckons at the source of all this trouble - the Tear - a wound in the fabric of reality, leeking foul things from the Dark - you can feel it's alien presence gnawing at your sanity even at this distance.

As you watch the black clouds gather and advance, slowly but steadily, across the evening sky the color of dried blood, doubt takes root in your mind and you wonder, not for the first time, if this was a good idea. One thing is certain however - you have a grim quest ahead of you...
The game was recently released with a basic set of features and is available for free at the Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grimdev.grimquest

*** FEATURES ***
- immerse in a dark fantasy world with it's own history and lore
- defeat enemies and fight boss battles in a classic turn-based combat system
- manage you character's sanity or suffer unexpected consequences
- customize you character with 20 unique spells and 15 active & passive skills
- select one of 16 character backgrounds that each affect gameplay in a different way
- experience the game world through a variety of interactive, text-based events
- acquire weapons, acessories, consumable items and crafting ingredients
- complete quests and collect bounties
- manage defences of a besieged city, endure raids and other calamities
- relax or add suspense with 3 difficulty levels, optional permadeath and other adjustable settings

3image1.jpg

Screenshot-1587469998-1.jpg

Last edited:

Psykd

Barely Literate
Hi GoranK,

First of, great job on developing a new game!

I've been interested in roguelikes ever since I started pixel dungeon, and I think your game brings a different flavor to the table.

-- downloaded from Playstore in the last two weeks
-- currently level 6 in Sunken grotto level 10, day 10

(+) Crafting, bounties, assorted spells/skills

(-) Exp seems to be buggy. I'm fighting three enemies expecting around 40xp, after battle i am informed I only get 10xp, but the exp bar after battle only registers 5xp gained (very slow leveling speed).

(-) if I switch to a different app for too long (and left the game while inside the dungeon), when I come back sometimes I find my file loading at the point before I entered the dungeon, which is frustrating. This can also be used to manipulate items in the shop and bounties. Just enter dungeon, swipe close game, open game again and find yourself outside the dungeon with no penalty and shop and bounties have refreshed.

(-) when I picked up a new weapon in the dungeon and equipped it, I found my old weapon just disappeared even though I only had half filled slots. I was expecting old weapon to go back to bag.

(-) supplies seem to be buggy. Even when I reach 0 supplies, I don't seem to be getting penalized. I end up not refilling supplies and just heal my sanity after every dungeon run.
Suggestions:
>> Rework sanity / add ways to manage sanity(?) / Sanity boosting accessory?

Sanity is difficult to manage. Sometimes even a simple rat or servant can deal sanity damage just by critting (?). The only workaround I have now is get the skill meditation and keep casting Heal and Slow time in every battle, hoping to keep pushing sanity upwards.

Black Angel

Arcane
Just want to mark this thread and announce that this is a genuinely good game. Cheers, mate!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom