Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guys,how would you make M.Effect more interesting?*SPOILER*

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The Rachni, a race of predatorial insects thought to be extinct stood before you. The brood mother, the last of its species, begged you to let it live by giving her freedom. Her children underwent scientific testings that rendered them berzerk due to seperation from their mother when young.

A vat of acid stood above her. One button releases her from imprisonment, free to respawn future generations of Rachni which she promises will be more peaceful than the last, somewhat ensuring their species survival. Another button lets loose the acid, killing the last of its kind.

What sort of consequences do you expect from one of the following actions:
a) Eliminate her
b) Let her live

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
a) Eliminate her: EXTREME™ collar-grabbing action as I kick her ass into the vat of acid.

b) Let her live: Sequel.

RK47

Patron
Now that's actually a good idea to take a previous save game and implement that "Let her live" as a possible side quest.

I was actually hoping that by letting her go, I get some form of help from their race on the finale of Mass Effect 1, but hardly any long term consequences. Not even the credits made any attempt to explain the fate of every planet you handled. (There were only FOUR anyway)

Here's another situation:

Garrus, an ex-officer of Citadel Security (C-Sec) mentioned of his frustration of not being able to solve one of his past case. Dr.Heart,an organ harvesting Doc managed to slip under his dragnet during his C-Sec career. He had a recent lead on the doc's whereabouts, after blasting through the doc's guards and cornering him Garrus told you to 'finish' it.

What do you expect to happen if you:
a) Finish it
b) Hand him over to the authority

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Four? What's up with Bioware and the number four?

Four ingredients, four planets, four map-pieces, four-

RK47

Patron
Yes, they were looking for the Star Forge, Jasede. They recovered navigational data from every planet. Not literally map pieces but still , what do you call all these though?
1) An interpreter of alien language.
2) Information on what you were looking for from one of their agents
3) Coordinates on a star gate to jump to multiple system
4) Information on which system to jump to from the star gate coordinate given.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Guys,how would you make M.Effect more interesting?

fire Drew Karpyshyn and replace him with anyone from the codex members who will do much better job than him as a writer.
because it is really hard to do worse.

Warden

Arbiter
skyway said:
fire Drew Karpyshyn and replace him with anyone from the codex members who will do much better job than him as a writer.
because it is really hard to do worse.

But what's wrong with a machine race that wipes out the whole universe every 50 000 years? They simply ARE.

easychord

Liturgist
RK47 said:
a) Finish it

a. Reputation as a killer gets out in the criminal underworld. Encounter(s) with underworld that could previously be solved with dialog are now dead ends or fights to the death.
b. He still has some money and contacts and organises some sort of revenge. This revenge could be stopped preemptively if you handle some other relationship in a certain way. OMG maybe even a benefit of not pissing off the authorities.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Fat Dragon said:
Locue said:
Hey Bioware! Hire me and we'll work together to make Mass Effect properly 18+/AO-rated this time!
Would there be blood and bondage?
Now that would be worth my money.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Add a quest where the apparent good path leads to a negative outcome and the evil path leads to a positive outcome.

That'd show those fucking console kids.

RK47

Patron
easychord said:
RK47 said:
a) Finish it

a. Reputation as a killer gets out in the criminal underworld. Encounter(s) with underworld that could previously be solved with dialog are now dead ends or fights to the death.
b. He still has some money and contacts and organises some sort of revenge. This revenge could be stopped preemptively if you handle some other relationship in a certain way. OMG maybe even a benefit of not pissing off the authorities.

According to Bioware that isn't a proper way to resolving that ,easychord.
You kill him, Garrus says 'awesome commander'
If you try to hand him to authority, he'll try to run and Garrus automatically shoot his back, then he'll ask 'Wtf did you try that for commander? Pointless, see? He's dead anyway.'

easychord

Liturgist
RK47 said:
According to Bioware that isn't a proper way to resolving that ,easychord.'

That's why Bioware are the professionals and I'm just some chump who is sarcastic on message boards.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
WhiskeyWolf said:
Fat Dragon said:
Locue said:
Hey Bioware! Hire me and we'll work together to make Mass Effect properly 18+/AO-rated this time!
Trust me, with me at the helm you wouldn't even be able to notice the game over all the blood and bondage.

fake edit: Also there would be much more cake and death.

Walkin' Dude

Liturgist
Locue said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Fat Dragon said:
Locue said:
Trust me, with me at the helm you wouldn't even be able to notice the game over all the blood and bondage.

What about tastefully done rape?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Walkin' Dude said:
Locue said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Fat Dragon said:
Locue said:

Now that would be a tough one to make, are you up to the job Locue?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Guys,how would you make M.Effect more interesting?

Totally ignoring any questions asked and just going by the title of the thread, I'd make it Mass Lesbian Spank Inferno Effect.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
WhiskeyWolf said:
Walkin' Dude said:
Locue said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Fat Dragon said:
Locue said:

There will be no rape. I'm a man enough dude to avoid such childish things.

Expect fully interactive sex scenes though, which you can actually repeat again and again with dialogue option "Let's do it again!" Dialogue options that actually means something, that's what I would be working for.

Badgermaster

Educated
Locue said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Walkin' Dude said:
Locue said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Fat Dragon said:
Locue said:

There will be no rape. I'm a man enough dude to avoid such childish things.

Expect fully interactive sex scenes though, which you can actually repeat again and again with dialogue option "Let's do it again!" Dialogue options that actually means something, that's what I would be working for.

Well, they do still have an assistant writer position open in Austin...

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/austin_jobs/

Go for it!

Badgermaster

Educated
How would I have made ME more interesting?

1) I wouldn't have lifted the main plot from Star Control 3: Every aeon, an inscrutable alien intelligence returns to the galaxy to wipe it of sentient life. The last time these Eternal Ones/Reapers came, they wiped out the Precursors/Protheans, who left ruins and artifacts scattered over the galaxy, which remain a mystery to all current spacefaring races, due to their rarity and advanced technology. You play the commander of the most advanced ship in the human fleet, whose job it is to discover the threat, and figure out how to avert the coming catastrophe.

2) I'd have created a more interesting science fiction universe, one that includes/extrapolates on some of the scientific discoveries we've made in the past, oh, 30 years.

2a) The Normandy, as a stealth ship, would have included the metamaterials we invented years ago, as well as the ability to use waste heat to generate power. This would have solved both the problems with the ship as stated in the game - respectively, the inability to hide from visual sensors, and the need for the ship to eventually stop running "silent" and vent tons of waste heat before it cooks everyone in the ship.

Metamaterials:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/7186/
http://www.gizmag.com/metamaterials-invisible-ships/8906/

Heat to Electrical Energy:

http://www.gizmag.com/energy-efficiency-breakthroughs-at-mit-and-berkeley/8790/

2b) None of the current nanotech and biotech breakthroughs are represented in ME, never mind a logical extrapolation of where they'd be almost 300 years from now, with the exception of a small, pointless side-quest that mentions in-vitro treatment of a genetic disorder (that's amazingly still considered unreliable).

Seeing as it would be impossible for a squad of baseline humans to take on a single true-AI death machine in open combat with small arms (never mind plow through dozens of AI opponents as if they were goblins), Shepard and his military cohorts should all have been bio- and nanotech-enhanced posthumans, which would be the only thing that could conceivably put them on equal footing with their opponents.

The Geth, as full AI wardroids, should have been -terrifying- opponents, and it should have been hammered home that an unenhanced organic could in no way stand up to them, short of dropping nukes on them, or throwing waves at them, at a 100+ to 1 ratio.

Of course, military-grade enhancements would be far more than the average citizen would be equipped with. Your average citizen would probably only have life-extension/health related enhancements, plus whatever they'd need to excel in their chosen careers. And there may be religious communities of baseline humans that refuse any technology that extends their lifespans at all. This would make for a more interesting society as any or all of these segments of human culture come into conflict, and if true AI are banned, there'd be a concern that the highest level of posthuman may start blurring the line between organic and artificial intelligence. Shepard and crew might start questioning their own humanity, as the distance between themselves and baseline humans gets wider and wider.

This would makes for a much more compelling future human culture and deeper writing opportunities would abound.

2c) Take Joker out of the cockpit, and remove his genetic condition that would have been cured a century or two before. The idea of manually-piloted spaceships is beyond ridiculous anyway.

3) I'd have kept magic (psychic powers) out of the setting, and differentiated my game world even more from every other ultra-soft sci-fi game out there. Even if it wouldn't be diamond-hard science fiction, it'd still be harder than most.

4) I'd have come up with another reason why organics like Saren would help the Reapers other than mind-control powers. The game pretends Saren is rational, or at least perceives himself as rational, until you get to the end, and you yell at him "The Reaper's lying! Kill yourself!" and he fights off the brainwashing long enough to go "You're right! BANG".

5) This may be solved in the sequels, but it seems to me that Bioware's written itself into the corner with the Reapers. Their goals and methods and low levels of technology make no sense, from what we've seen so far. Beings that have been around as long as they have would not have any problem facing down primitives like us. The fact that one ship of something 50,000 years more advanced (at minimum, and that's only if they were lying about the Protheans not having been their first victims) than the next ship in the area was defeated by that fleet at the end is less likely than a modern battleship being defeated by the Spanish Armada, and that's only a technology difference of about 500 years

Also, the way to wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy is to seed it with self-replicating Von Neumann probes, especially if those probes also seed every planet they come across with nanites that disassemble any form of life above a certain level of complexity. Perfect hands-off, no-effort galactic sterility.

So, the question is - why do the Reapers have such lousy technology considering how long they've been around, and why do they take such an inefficient, convoluted, and ultimately ineffective route to accomplishing their supposed goal, akin to drinking a glass of water by constructing a Rube Goldberg device every time you get thirsty, as opposed to simply picking up the glass with your damn hand?

6) Consequences other than the gaining of Renegade/Paragon points, though this may be fixed in the sequels, if they read saves and implement consequences for choices made in the first chapter.

7) Less, but more interesting combat, which includes better teammate and enemy AI. Even at the hardest difficulty, I found combat incredibly easy, but incredibly boring, because I was the only person on the battlefield that wasn't retarded. I ended up turning the difficulty down to low just to make combat end quicker.

8) No minigames.

9) No armor/weapon collection. At the highest echelons of military special operations, soldiers do not have to scavenge/purchase all their own equipment. The government is generally happy to provide that.

10) Better exploration. Why does everything have anti-grav propulsion except the Mako? Why is every world heavily mountainous, only gray, green, red, brown, or white? Also, a reason to explore that doesn't make me feel like a complete tool for utterly ignoring the impending death of all sentient life so I can go rock climbing in my space truck.

I guess that's about it off the top of my head. Keep in mind that a lot of this is subjective taste, and what may have made the game much more interesting to me wouldn't have mattered, or even may have made it less interesting, to others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom