Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gygax obliterating Greyhawk. Seeking responses from those who lived through it.

Lt Broccoli

Educated
Just finished reading Gygax's Gord the Rogue novels with the disintegration of Greyhawk in Dance of Demons. Quite breathtaking to read a creator destroy his world. Were any of you running P&P Greyhawk campaigns back in late '88/early '89 and what was your reaction when you discovered this? Did this cause you to change your campaign setting or any other drastic action?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
By the end of 1988, TSR had published the hardcover Greyhawk Adventures setting book by Jim Ward, followed the next year by five adventure modules and the City of Greyhawk boxed set. I expect that most players in the Greyhawk setting weren't even aware of Gygax's later novels, even if they had read the first two that had been published by TSR itself. :M

Lt Broccoli

Educated
By the end of 1988, TSR had published the hardcover Greyhawk Adventures setting book by Jim Ward, followed the next year by five adventure modules and the City of Greyhawk boxed set. I expect that most players in the Greyhawk setting weren't even aware of Gygax's later novels, even if they had read the first two that had been published by TSR itself. :M
Yes, I concur most players wouldn't have been aware as Gygax published five later novels outside TSR. Still, he did have a following as his Gord the Rogue novels kept him financially solvent. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when he dropped that bombshell to those readers.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just finished reading Gygax's Gord the Rogue novels with the disintegration of Greyhawk in Dance of Demons. Quite breathtaking to read a creator destroy his world. Were any of you running P&P Greyhawk campaigns back in late '88/early '89 and what was your reaction when you discovered this? Did this cause you to change your campaign setting or any other drastic action?
What?
You mean Oerth is annihilated? My favorite D&D setting and it gets obliterated by the big G himself?

S.torch

Arbiter
Gygax preferred the setting to end rather than keep getting sullied under the fit of imbeciles and the corporations that kidnapped his creation. That's all. I have read some of the content created after he was thrown out and is hot trash. Not that it was unexpected.

What truly is sad is an author resorting to such because of sabotage. If it wasn't for that he would have keep adding more content to Greyhawk with new editions, novels and so on. Similar to Dragonlance.

Lt Broccoli

Educated
What?
You mean Oerth is annihilated? My favorite D&D setting and it gets obliterated by the big G himself?
I know. Pretty intense. Many of the NPCs protecting Oerth including Gord and his two companions are transported to an alternate reality called 'Yarth' (another derivative of Oerth) by the uber-entities Lord of Time and Lady Tolerance which the NPC's would continue their adventures under Gygax's newly created Dangerous Journeys campaign setting. Presumably this would apply to other famous NPCs like Mordenkainen, Bigby, Melf, etc... The remainders of Oerth now ruled by Ultimate Evil Tharizdun (and Lord Entropy) are transported to a 'Pocket Cosmos' separate from the spheres of the cosmos and left to wither.

BruceVC

Magister
I use to DM in Greyhawk and I loved the setting. I didn't know about the books but even if I did it wouldn't have stopped me using the game world

I moved onto FR because that became the next supported and active world and anyway FR is still overall my favorite setting

BruceVC

Magister
I wish they had continued with Greyhawk, I was reminiscing how much I loved the lore and overall lands you could explore like Iuz and the Scarlet Brotherhood. And I remember they incorporated modules like ToEE, Scourge of the Slave Lords and my greatest module of all time...Queen of the Spiders. Greyhawk is my second favorite fantasy setting for D&D

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I use to DM in Greyhawk and I loved the setting. I didn't know about the books but even if I did it wouldn't have stopped me using the game world

I moved onto FR because that became the next supported and active world and anyway FR is still overall my favorite setting

2E + 3.5E FR is peek cozy and lore immersion.

4E+ FR is zoom zoom shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom