Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Harbinger chat rescheduled

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Harbinger

Due to only 15 people showing up, including the chaps from <a href="http://www.silverbackgames.com">Silverback</a> and <a href="http://www.gamehelper.com">GameHelper</a>, the <A href="http://www.harbingergame.com">Harbinger</a> developer chat will be postponed until next <b>Monday at 8pm EST</b> on <A href="http://www.gamesnet.net">Gamesnet</a>'s IRC server pool in the channel, <b>#gamehelper</b>.
<br>
<br>
That's kind of.. <i>embarrassing</i>.
<br>
<br>
Thanks to <b>axelgreese</b> for the information.
<br>

axel

Liturgist
not only that but two guys spent the time talking about a high school which apparently they both go to.

Hehe

wee I got mentioned in a news item!

EEVIAC

Erudite
I remember reading an interview with the developers and they were saying - we've put everything we have into this game, if it fails we go under. <- not a direct quote obviously.

Part of me feels really sad that another sci-fi rpg is going down - and as someone else wrote here before, sorry I don't remember who, marketing people will think its because its because its sci-fi and not because no one really wants more Diablo clones.

Which leads me to my second emotion, which goes something like - DEATH TO ALL DIABLO CLONERS!!! Or something similar... Of all the games forums I've posted on, Fallout is probably the most revered game of all time, and yet sadly isn't emulated or learned from. As much as I love RPG's, I'd rather play a great FPS than a shitty RPG.

By the way, my feelings towards clones has been exacerbated by a bad experience over the weekend with Throne Of Darkness. :(

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
EEVIAC said:
I remember reading an interview with the developers and they were saying - we've put everything we have into this game, if it fails we go under. <- not a direct quote obviously.

That depends on if they get another contract with a publisher, obviously. Silverback does have some talented people, like the ones who wrote the graphics engine, the artists, and some of the writers for the game.

Part of me feels really sad that another sci-fi rpg is going down - and as someone else wrote here before, sorry I don't remember who, marketing people will think its because its because its sci-fi and not because no one really wants more Diablo clones.

That was the last paragraph in my review of the game.

Which leads me to my second emotion, which goes something like - DEATH TO ALL DIABLO CLONERS!!! Or something similar... Of all the games forums I've posted on, Fallout is probably the most revered game of all time, and yet sadly isn't emulated or learned from. As much as I love RPG's, I'd rather play a great FPS than a shitty RPG.

Well, if Harbinger's problem is that it really wasn't a good clone. Even if it was, it's rather silly to advertise the game as Diablo in space because clones rarely ever sell well anyway.

By the way, my feelings towards clones has been exacerbated by a bad experience over the weekend with Throne Of Darkness. :(

Throne of Darkness wasn't really a clone, per say, since it was made by the original Diablo team. Then again, it amazes me they managed to screw up what they originally created with Diablo when they made Throne of Darkness. They totally missed the point on that title.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Throne of Darkness wasn't really a clone, per say, since it was made by the original Diablo team. Then again, it amazes me they managed to screw up what they originally created with Diablo when they made Throne of Darkness. They totally missed the point on that title.

I did not know that. After two days of continually running behind enemies instead of attacking them, and having weapons that broke after 5 minutes, I happily took the game back to EB.

I think my point is, if a dev team does a decent job with a clone and the game sells well - what incentive do they have to produce something different, rather than establish a franchise that sells?

If, on the other hand, the dev team made something unique, if it failed to sell, at least there would be a fine and different game to the dev's name. I know its not as easy as holding a magpie and saying "let's make something different" and KABLAMO there it is, but surely "diablo is space" set off warning bells somewhere within that company? Personally, I think I would have rathered "Crusader the RPG" - but who knows about Crusader anymore.

That was the last paragraph in my review of the game

I probably paraphrased you there becuase the Harbinger review was my first contact with RPGCodex. The "Harbinger - not a mixed bag" metaphor is what endeared me to it. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom