Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Harbinger reviewed at GameSpy

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Harbinger

<a href="http://www.gamespy.com/">GameSpy</a> has taken the time and posted up <a href="http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/march03/harbingerpc/">their review</a> of <A href="http://www.harbingergame.com">Harbinger</a>. Here's something I find just damned weird and wacky:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>In short, Harbinger began with a promising premise -- "It's Diablo in space!" Unfortunately, in the end, that's all Harbinger is -- a barely passable Diablo mod with all the weaknesses of the original game and few of the strengths. <u>The real tragedy is that other publishers may take Harbinger's lack of success as evidence that sci-fi RPG's "just don't work," never considering that gamers don't just want a sci-fi RPG, they want a good sci-fi RPG.</u> Harbinger doesn't even come close.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Oddly enough, I didn't write this review. It's kind of interesting that <A href="http://www.gamespy.com">GameSpy</a> is repeating the main point of <A href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=43">my review</a> in their review though.
<br>
<br>
Spotted this at <a href="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</a>

Rosh

Erudite
Not surprising, since GameSpy has had a long, enriched history of being content theives to the point of just barely escaping plagiarism. They probably looked at the review comments posting for more content, much as they enjoy taking the work of folks at sites like RPGDot, who went through pains to get exclusives, and redistributing it, etc. without crediting.

From one of your follow-up posts:

That's the part that really stings, frankly. One of the few games that bills itself as a CRPG that's actually a Sci-Fi setting, and it's so bad that there's no way it'll sell that well. So, you'll have sme markettimng people out tjhere nodding their head and saying, "Hey, it's sci-fi, that's why it didn't sell."

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
Bullshit.
It sounds more like your paranoia than anything else.
Is it really so hard to belive that two people who reached a similar conclusion is automatically plagarisim? If Roger Ebert and Michael Willmington both give City of God 4 stars, does that mean that one plagarized the other?

Spazmo

Erudite
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Craprunner. This is just a one-in-a-million coincidence where GameSpy actually reached an intelligent conclusion and it was the same one Saint reached.

Jed

Cipher
Rosh said:
Not surprising, since GameSpy has had a long, enriched history of being content theives to the point of just barely escaping plagiarism. They probably looked at the review comments posting for more content, much as they enjoy taking the work of folks at sites like RPGDot, who went through pains to get exclusives, and redistributing it, etc. without crediting.
While I'm of course willing to accept it as mere coincidence, I've seen too much of what Rosh said in regards to GameSpy. I think it's less a coincidence that their RPG reviewer might look at other reviews before writing his own than it is the he or she might coincidentally articulate nearly verbatum what St. had said re Harbinger--I mean, personally, I'm lazy as fuck at my for-pay job and why wouldn't I take every shortcut?

T

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Spazmo said:
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Craprunner. This is just a one-in-a-million coincidence where GameSpy actually reached an intelligent conclusion and it was the same one Saint reached.

It's interesting in that a mainstream site posted a point a less-than-doesn't-want-to-be-mainstream site like this one posted, Spazmo.

As for the likelihood that there was absolutely no influence on his post from other reviews, I'd say that's unlikely, though. If you think game reviewers, especially those that work for GameSpy, often post thought out points, you need to re-read previous things GameSpy's posted.

Either way it goes, it's still interesting that a review on GameSpy contains that same point.

Deathy

Liturgist
To be honest, I'd be more suprised if that wasn't plaigarism, with my experiences with the editorial quality on gamespy sites (excuse to go to 3D Action Planet and make fun of them again)

Aww... policy has changed, all articles are now on Gamespy.com, which means that they have some kind of rudimentary screening process, and I can no longer make fun of the ameteurish crap that the daughter sites used to post.

Rosh

Erudite
As for the likelihood that there was absolutely no influence on his post from other reviews, I'd say that's unlikely, though. If you think game reviewers, especially those that work for GameSpy, often post thought out points, you need to re-read previous things GameSpy's posted.

Very true. GameSpy is either posts fellate or hate in regards to things, there is very little secondary thought involved with their analysis, which is what Prov's point was. It was far different from their usual brand of fanboying.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Darkness40k said:
If you look closely, and take certain letters from each paragraph you get a code which spells "Stolen from rpgcodex's Saint_Proverbius".

Yeah, and if you look at their logo.. It's watching you!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom